Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - unable to sleep after eve races

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

unable to sleep after eve races
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brucey forthcat
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: unable to sleep after eve races Reply with quote

im finding it hard to get to sleep after racing in the evening(local very hard crit series is the worst),just looking for any tips advice.i dont go straight to bed but try to chill out for a bit with a glass of milk and a bannana,i also sometimes get really bad night time sweats which adds to the misery.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same, I find packing within the first 10 minutes of the crit helps.
Mr Smoke Too Much
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop taking dope, or reduce the amount!
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn some relaxation techniques.

Listen to a story whilst resting. Works with adults the same as with kids. Pick a reader with a soothing voice and a fairly bland story.

Herb tea. One that promotes relaxation. Camomile from memory but the packets all say soothes or energises or some such.

Night sweats. Hmm same as hot flushes Smile Get up and have a tepid shower,. Run cold water over wrists for instant cooling. Don't drink coffee before settling down to sleep. Use cotton sheet and a light blanket instead of duvet.

Are the sweats all over or just your legs?
legro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are over heating due to post evening race on warm night, ice cold bath for the legs to take the inflamation down you could even take an asprin to help but I don't think it does a lot

I take a mild seditive to relax me 30 minutes before bed time or a good shag will surfice

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
you are over heating due to post evening race on warm night, ice cold bath for the legs to take the inflamation down you could even take an asprin to help but I don't think it does a lot

I take a mild seditive to relax me 30 minutes before bed time or a good shag will surfice

This supposed to help with sweating? Rolling Eyes Smile
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
legro wrote:
This supposed to help with sweating? Rolling Eyes Smile
No, it just stops you caring about the sweats........
brucey forthcat
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips the sweats are all over the body these seem to have abated recently,was thinking it could be the body getting used to training again after a long break from the sport.i find it hard to sleep even after racing in the cold so dont think its just a heat thing could still be wired and to just chill out,which seditives would you recomend legro,failing all that i could just pack after ten mins.
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucey forthcat wrote:
thanks for the tips the sweats are all over the body these seem to have abated recently,was thinking it could be the body getting used to training again after a long break from the sport.i find it hard to sleep even after racing in the cold so dont think its just a heat thing could still be wired and to just chill out,which seditives would you recomend legro,failing all that i could just pack after ten mins.

That advice will cost you 5 grand and a jar of liver.

Mrs Tibbs (RIP) used to suffer with something similar. If you dab some Ice Gel on the wrists and/or back of neck, that can help.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, one I know the answer to. Booze solves it, trust me on this one.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
legro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you missed my point, ice cold water or asprin is not for the over heating more for taking inflammatory out of the legs which is what causes you to be restless

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CarltonG
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweating = post race or really hard training session is usually a sign you have pushed yourself to the limit - hardly surprising that statement. What I found was that if I had had lots of caffeine during the day - then this would be exagerated so I cut back on coffees, cokes, tea and so on - the other reason for sweating post thrash could be dehydration - again a classic "limit pushing" sign... if this is the case, errrr drink more the day before and the day of the race and one of the best drinks....? water and/or weak energy drink! Other stuff in terms of winding down from the race - you need to find a routine that works for you.
Some people say beer, no coffee, others say hot milk, ovaltine, post race energy repair thing like SIS Nocte - for every bit of advice you get, you can always find someone that the very same tip has NOT worked for. Coffee bizarrely relaxes me before bed for instance. Best advice I could give for you is decide in your own mind if the het up post race state is there more than just having beasted yourself, because you are over analysing (like I used to) why you didn't go better - whether you should have attacked more - or less why you missed the right move AGAIN - in other words is it mental activity? if so find a good book, or film or place to go and "chill"... then when it feels right go to bed... the whole problem can be magnified if you feel you should go to bed at a particular time - rather than when you are ready.... hope that helps?!
brucey forthcat
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the tips,hopefully the fitter i get the more sleep i will get. the problem i have as well is that i have to be up for work at 5.45am so i go to bed fretting that i will not be getting my "eight hours" in, the good news is i usally get a good night in the following night. the booze thing is out of the question i started racing again to keep that demon under control think a nice ham shank glass of milk and radio four should do the trick.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brucey forthcat wrote:
...the booze thing is out of the question i started racing again to keep that demon under control...
Embarassed My apologies, I didn't realise that it was an issue in that way. Sorry.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
brucey forthcat
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
brucey forthcat wrote:
...the booze thing is out of the question i started racing again to keep that demon under control...
:oops: My apologies, I didn't realise that it was an issue in that way. Sorry.
thats ok i was exaggerating a little bit for comic effect,just like chris moyles does, he is a genius.
Doozer
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brucey...

I also find it hard to 'come down' after an evening race and with the present heat sarn sarf I'm struggling to get much sleep in any case...

ensure you warm down well after the event, depending where it is you may have to get off the circuit and roll arounf the local roads for 20mins. Make sure you rehydrate well immediately after the race. Have a cooling shower as suggested when you get home. i awlays try and have a bit of a snack 2 hrs before the race so that I'm not eating a large meal late in the evening just before bed.

Unsure about sedatives.. i tried nytol etc. but it never did nothing for me..wasn't preapred to try anything stronger. Have a bit of a read/radio/tele before bedtime to relax the brain. i always found spending 5 mins taking slow steady breaths in bed helped me drop down another gear and relax more.

i've no doubt that as you get fitter your body will adapt and you'll find it easier to sleep.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crack one off

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doozer wrote:
ensure you warm down well after the event, depending where it is you may have to get off the circuit and roll arounf the local roads for 20mins. Make sure you rehydrate well immediately after the race. Have a cooling shower as suggested when you get home. i awlays try and have a bit of a snack 2 hrs before the race so that I'm not eating a large meal late in the evening just before bed.

i've no doubt that as you get fitter your body will adapt and you'll find it easier to sleep.

Been some great tips Wink but I think Doozer's suggestion is about the best. I 'painfully' recall, from many years back, riding a kilo and being immediately ordered off the track. Got virtually straight into a mate's car and home. Disaster, with no warmdown it was just hell.
peter post
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Evil or Very Mad defintitely helps but it's infinitely better on your own! You meet a nicer class of woman Laughing
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hat the guy above said above regarding going over things in your head is def true. Read a book (not about cycling!) or watch a film to take your mind off things. Don't try to force yourself straight to bed, chill out downstairs or whatever until you feel yourself getting tired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: