Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Amount of exercise.

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Amount of exercise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Amount of exercise. Reply with quote

I was wondering what would be more beneficial to you exercise wise. I would presume that going out once a week and riding 100miles would be better for you than going out either 4 times a week and riding 25 miles each time or going out 5 times a week and riding 20 miles each time. the reason that I would presume that going out the once and doing 100 miles would be better would be because the lesser distances would barely cause you to break out into a sweat and would therefore not exercise your cardio vascular system very much, where as if you went out and rode 100 miles then it would exercise your cardio vascular system. For the record I am not considering just going out and riding once a week but do a hundred miles but the reason I want to know is so I can figure out a way of exercising through out the week but being able to fit it in with the rest of may schedule through out the week.

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Amount of exercise. Reply with quote

MrLoverman wrote:
I would presume that going out once a week and riding 100miles would be better for you than going out either 4 times a week and riding 25 miles each time or going out 5 times a week and riding 20 miles each time the reason that I would presume that going out the once and doing 100 miles would be better would be because the lesser distances would barely cause you to break out into a sweat and would therefore not exercise your cardio vascular system very much, where as if you went out and rode 100 miles then it would exercise your cardio vascular system.

...and breath!

Shabba Wink
Si W
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller, regular training sessions have been shown to be more beneficial than larger irregular sessions.
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si W wrote:
Smaller, regular training sessions have been shown to be more beneficial than larger irregular sessions.

So basically I would be alritht to go and do 1 big ride per week i.e. 80 - 90 miles and then do about 2 or 3 rides of about 25 miles per week and that would be alright, providing I done it on a regular basis and kept it as a training schedule?

fatface
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are chipper racing in the northwest, I suggest an hour a week at zone one intensity.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little and often wins over from big adn rare.

Essentially you are looking for your body to adapt to stimulus, and that is best achieved from regular stimulus rather than sporadic. One weekly hit is better than nothing, but not as good as lots of smaller stuff.
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
Little and often wins over from big adn rare.

Essentially you are looking for your body to adapt to stimulus, and that is best achieved from regular stimulus rather than sporadic. One weekly hit is better than nothing, but not as good as lots of smaller stuff.

but at risk of stating the blinkin obvious the larger distances you do each time is much better.

eightace
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Commute! Reply with quote

I can confirm that 12 miles each way to work is better than two big rides at weekend. Fitter than I have ever been commuting Very Happy
nettie biker
Div 3 Pro

Location: Struggling to keep all the balls in the air.............

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard that if you do no training you go like a bag of spanners
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is surely a no brainer? How little do you know about adaptation theory and the effects of exercise on the the immune system.

Take a chipper (Hodge will do) and tell him on a Sunday 100 miles but nothing else all week he will

a) Struggle to do the 100 miles
b) Become ill from the effort
c) Cause a strain to some part of the body in trying to complete the distance

Its so important to recover from what you have done previously - but as soon as you have to hit the body with more stress for it to adapt to.

Hodge mentioned a phrase that I thought was apt for this conversation - Consitentantly Consistent - (spelt wrong obviously as I am chav) but its so true. If you don't keep it up the body is SO good at shutting down!
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
This is surely a no brainer? How little do you know about adaptation theory and the effects of exercise on the the immune system.

Take a chipper (Hodge will do) and tell him on a Sunday 100 miles but nothing else all week he will

a) Struggle to do the 100 miles
b) Become ill from the effort
c) Cause a strain to some part of the body in trying to complete the distance

Its so important to recover from what you have done previously - but as soon as you have to hit the body with more stress for it to adapt to.

Hodge mentioned a phrase that I thought was apt for this conversation - Consitentantly Consistent - (spelt wrong obviously as I am chav) but its so true. If you don't keep it up the body is SO good at shutting down!

So a good program to do would be 1 long ride of about 80 - 100 miles per week and then one of maybe 40 miles and a couple of 25 miles per week would keep me at a good level of fitness. Like I said I wasn't planning on doing 1 long ride per week and then nothing else but I was just wondering who to work out and exercise routine to fit in through the week, as obviously time will dictate that I can't do 100 mile rides 3 or 4 times per week. And you have pointed something out to me that I knew but I wasn't sure who quickly it happened, and that is your bosy will reverse all the exercise you do very quickly if you don't keep exercise up. For the record I am joining a cycle club, I went to see them the other day (wednesday) but the majority had gone on a club run but as there are a lot of experienced cyclists there I will learn more from them and before you know it I will have it all sorted. The cycle club that I am going to join for the record in the Liverpool Century, which got it's name from a requirement that all the riders had to be able to ride 100 miles in a day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: