Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Viral Infection - the come back road

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Viral Infection - the come back road
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joursans
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend giving yoga a try. The Hatha stuff - not Ashtanga. If you get a decent teacher it can be very good for you both physically and mentally - it's great for stress.

Find a relatively easy going beginners class. You can push yourself as hard or as easy as you feel like on the day.

Plus the classes usually have some decent eye candy - get there early and find a space at the back. Wink

After a good hour's session I have come out feeling like the dog's bollox. In fact I might start going again. Confused Smile
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training??
Racing???
HRM????? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Speaking from experience, you probably need to step away from that sort of mentality and go and do some sight seeing for the rest of the year.

Start training for next season, this season is probably a right off. Don't even expect next season to be up to much if you have been ill that long/badly and have just had a long term issue diagnosed as well.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:

Personally, I have given up with the NHS. My chiropractor picked up on the stress element to my symptoms, suggested adrenal fatigue, raised cortisone levels etc and it is something I am working on. I am better... certianly in my head, but I ain't there, no way, when I'm sleeping proper and when I can take a bad day on teh chin, I'll be happy...

However, I am going to focus on what I can control, so working with the chiro again, I will get some tests done to define what, if any immune response activities are going on in the body to understand where I genuinely am on the come back trail.

one thing to bear in mind. there are some things about the body and illness we just don't know much about. Don't fall prey to quacks just because they seem to have the answer to everything. frankly it sounds like the chiropractor is talking Evil or Very Mad to you. Comforting Evil or Very Mad, but expensive Evil or Very Mad all the same. Don't be fooled by the 'DR' bit, chiropractors are not doctors and some of them believe some pretty wacky things. How is he planning to test your immune response? if it's this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_kinesiology run.

When your GP tells you he doesn't know what's going on, it's probably because he doesn't. and if he doesn't, the chances of someone with less medical training knowing what's going on are slim. It's not comforting but it's probably honest.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you martin, and I am not always fooled by quackery.

Through the practice the chiro is able to provide private blood screening, so there is nothing but cold hard facts coming back from that. I will be getting teh results and having them analysed elsewhere!

To be honest, my own research into adrenal fatigue brings up plenty of 'for just $20 you can overcome your adrenal fatigue' results and not much medical science stuff, so I am mighty sceptical of its realness....

He is right about the stress though, and he at least listens and interprets what I say, rather than the doctor who unfortunately is confined by NHS best practice, and sadly for me that is not providing me with anything but anxiety and frustrating.

My doctor has been a c**t throughout, lets be clear. Either deliberately or through incompetence he has failed to recognise the effects the anxiety and stress of the situation has caused. despite me spelling it out to him he still sees the need to provide me greys and non-information (e.g. when asked if teh blood tests could rule out ongoing infection he stated that 'one thing the tests could not rule out is an ongoing underlying infection'). He has followed protocol and tested me for the obvious stuff first... diabetes, thyroid problems etc etc, and sees anything that is not life thretening as being beynd his remit.

As another example, following having a frank conversation about how I felt to him, he sent me away but not before introducing the added anxiety of potential cardiac problems knowing I would have to sit on that news for 8 weeks. No support, nothing... git.

Finally on request he has provided me details of a local stress management course which I am yet to enrole on as I know the key element of stress management is managing the causes of stress, adn that falls down hard with the 'I don't know why I feel this way and no one can or is willing to help me find out!' argument.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I agree with you Martin about the not knowing business, and if I felt the doctor had done anything more than try and get me to stop bothering him, I would be happier.

For gods sake he has not tested me for anything. Not for Epsom Barr, or looked at other key viral/bactierial infections. There are tests he could do, but has chosen not to.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you have a crap GP and a good chiropractor. bummer.

Change your GP?
jk_bike
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2hrs rides every other day easy/steady tempo and just dont worry be happy. worked for me after bein bugrd for 10 months.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jk_bike wrote:
2hrs rides every other day easy/steady tempo and just dont worry be happy. worked for me after bein bugrd for 10 months.

Funnily enough, thats almost exactly where I have led myself. Easy rides to tempo effort of 90-120 mins.

Get on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: