Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Anti chain-drop device for a carbon frame?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Anti chain-drop device for a carbon frame?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Globalti
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Anti chain-drop device for a carbon frame? Reply with quote

There are various devices out there, the K-Edge bolts to the frame mount of your derailleur but mine's a band-on, so no-go. The N-Gear is excellent quality but because my seat tube flares out a couple of inches below the derailleur band it won't fit. Same for the Deda Dog Fang thingy and the Third Eye Chain watcher, so I'm stuck.

Anybody got any other suggestions? I'm getting chain drop about 1 in 10 changes, no matter how I change or adjust the derailleur.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you probably know this, but if your chain drops 1 in 10 times it's either set up wrong or something is broken.

Anti chain drop devices are for winter hacks and triathletes.
Davey D
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

As said if its 1 in 10 then go and get your set up checked, theres no way it should ever be that ratio.
colinpeerman
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Well you probably know this, but if your chain drops 1 in 10 times it's either set up wrong or something is broken.

really?

I'd check most of the bikes used in spring classics then
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinpeerman wrote:
Tucker wrote:

really?

I'd check most of the bikes used in spring classics then

+ cobbled classics.

Christ peerman, you used to be funny but all you do now is dispense pedantry. Pull yourself together.
Globalti
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the Cheshire 100 yesterday and in about 6-8 changes to the small ring managed not to lose it at all simpy by taking care to keep a moderate even pressure on the pedals as I changed. I think my technique must be the problem.
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globalti wrote:
Did the Cheshire 100 yesterday and in about 6-8 changes to the small ring managed not to lose it at all simpy by taking care to keep a moderate even pressure on the pedals as I changed. I think my technique must be the problem.

Please allow me to quote freely from this to persuade Mrs E of the same thing - her chain falls off when she goes down to the little ring, but only when a: she's racing, and b: she's stressed (which is mostly when she's racing). Under those conditions, she forgets to pedal at the same time as going down a ring. Slightest bump, chain falls off, and I get the blame for not setting it up properly... Wink
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastway82 wrote:
Globalti wrote:

Please allow me to quote freely from this to persuade Mrs E of the same thing - her chain falls off when she goes down to the little ring, but only when a: she's racing, and b: she's stressed (which is mostly when she's racing). Under those conditions, she forgets to pedal at the same time as going down a ring. Slightest bump, chain falls off, and I get the blame for not setting it up properly... Wink

My PET HATE in races is the person (and there is always one) who, when the race hits a hill tries to mash it up it in the big ring, only to realise they can't and half way up try to cahnge into the little ring, only for it to fall off, become jammed or general flailing causign others behind to crash or get stuck behind this clown.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
eastway82 wrote:
Globalti wrote:

My PET HATE in races is the person (and there is always one) who, when the race hits a hill tries to mash it up it in the big ring, only to realise they can't and half way up try to cahnge into the little ring, only for it to fall off, become jammed or general flailing causign others behind to crash or get stuck behind this clown.

+1

There is always the less annoying, but more numerous bunch who, on approaching a tight turn after a fast straight, negotiate the corner then realise that they are going 9mph in the 53x13. Here's a tip - PLAN AHEAD and change into the 21 whilst you are FREEWHEELING into the corner, then you won't have to leave a gap which you'll have to close to your more quick-witted competitors.
digger
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Davey C wrote:
eastway82 wrote:
Globalti wrote:

+1

There is always the less annoying, but more numerous bunch who, on approaching a tight turn after a fast straight, negotiate the corner then realise that they are going 9mph in the 53x13. Here's a tip - PLAN AHEAD and change into the 21 whilst you are FREEWHEELING into the corner, then you won't have to leave a gap which you'll have to close to your more quick-witted competitors.

The 21, how tight is the corner. Can see said competitor taking heed of your advice and throwing his chain over his cassette and into his wheel.
colinpeerman
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
eastway82 wrote:
Globalti wrote:

My PET HATE in races is the person (and there is always one) who, when the race hits a hill tries to mash it up it in the big ring, only to realise they can't and half way up try to cahnge into the little ring, only for it to fall off, become jammed or general flailing causign others behind to crash or get stuck behind this Tucker .

SIMPLES -> stay at the front and you'll be able to take advantage of said Tucker
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger wrote:
The 21, how tight is the corner. Can see said competitor taking heed of your advice and throwing his chain over his cassette and into his wheel.

If there's another thing I hate, it's people who can't set up limit screws properly. If you can get chain off the end of the cassette, do the screw up. If you cant get into the end cogs, unscrew them. Find somewhere in the middle, and VOILA.

The corner is very tight by the way, single track road, 180 degrees with leaves, gravel and wet drain covers and goes onto a big ring (just) hill.
maddog 2
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fit a braze-on mech to an adaptor band and then fit the overpriced K-Edge to the mech?
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't matter how harsh you smash it into the little ring, if its set up proper it will stay on, every time.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

And ProTour cyclists, to be fair.
Globalti
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been on here for a while and by the look of it nor has anybody else!

Thought you might like to know that in the end I bought a K-Edge anti chaindrop device because they launched one with its own band. It means I've had to devise a way of extending the bottle cage bolts by 7mm when I want to fit the seat tube cage but for the peace of mind it was worth every considerable penny I paid for it. It really works, it's beautifully made and easy to fit and now dropped chains are a thing of the past.

Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globalti wrote:
Haven't been on here for a while and by the look of it nor has anybody else!

Thought you might like to know that in the end I bought a K-Edge anti chaindrop device because they launched one with its own band. It means I've had to devise a way of extending the bottle cage bolts by 7mm when I want to fit the seat tube cage but for the peace of mind it was worth every considerable penny I paid for it. It really works, it's beautifully made and easy to fit and now dropped chains are a thing of the past.

Does this fit a S Works SL3?
Globalti
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey! There IS life!

Dunno mate; it comes in two band sizes. Have a look on Wiggle.
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't really a question

more to do with today's stage Laughing
Globalti
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I hadn't seen the highlights when I posted my reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: