Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Seat height and knee injurys?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Seat height and knee injurys?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Seat height and knee injurys? Reply with quote

Does having your seat too high lead to knee injurys? The reason I ask is because the other day someone told me that my seat was about 1 inch too low and it should be highered, so I highered it. Then on Sunday I was out on my bike and after about 50 miles my knee just got a pain in it like I had either twisted it or I had tried to bend it in the wrong direction. It was still sore on Monday but was alright on Tuesday, but today I went out on my bike and the same thing happened again. I lowered the seat back to what it was originaly and that seemed to do the trick for a while but the pain started again. Do you think that I have just injured my knee and what happened today was just a reocurence of the injury from Sunday or do you think the seat was the problem?

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/

Last edited by MrLoverman on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
nettie biker
Div 3 Pro

Location: Struggling to keep all the balls in the air.............

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shabba Very Happy
elaina

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who ever it was that told you to raise your saddle should have also advised you not to raise it the full inch in one go but to raise it over a period of time.

Hopefully your knee will get better with some rest.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat height and knee injurys? Reply with quote

MrLoverman wrote:
Does having your seat too high lead to knee injurys? The reason I ask is because the other day someone told me that my seat was about 1 inch too low and it should be highered, so I highered it. Then on Sunday I was out on my bike and after about 50 miles my knee just got a pain in it like I had either twisted it or I had tried to bend it in the wrong direction. It was still sore on Monday but was alright on Tuesday, but today I went out on my bike and the same thing happened again. I lowered the seat back to what it was originaly and that seemed to do the trick for a while but the pain started again. Do you think that I have just injured my knee and what happened today was just a reocurence of the injury from Sunday or do you think the seat was the problem?

If you pick your nose with a different finger to usual then, after a while, that finger will start to ache. There is a world of difference between an ache and an injury.
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Seat height and knee injurys? Reply with quote

Dogma Dave wrote:
MrLoverman wrote:

If you pick your nose with a different finger to usual then, after a while, that finger will start to ache. There is a world of difference between an ache and an injury.

No there is definately tissue damage, and it stays for a few days.

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Seat height and knee injurys? Reply with quote

MrLoverman wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:
MrLoverman wrote:

Try Kleenex for Men - in my experience they are a bit stronger.
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat height and knee injurys? Reply with quote

MrLoverman wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:
MrLoverman wrote:

What do you mean by "tissue damage"?

Unfamiliar saddle height will lead to an RSI type feeling injury/strain an/or pain. A bit of a strain on the muscle insertion points, ligaments or tendons as they operate outside of their normal sphere or range of movement is about right.

Best to lower the height back to what it was, rest and RICE with ibuprofen for a few days and build it up again slowly after a week or so of rest.

Pushing through it won't work, it'll only make it worse potentially.

Make sure your saddle is in line with your top tube too (unless the top tube is bent of course).

Easy
bushman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to adecent bike shop or coach and get your set up checked out.
MattB94
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use a big gear? If you use a big gear all the time it will hurt your knees after a while.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

109%
Steve P
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Seat height and knee injurys? Reply with quote

MrLoverman wrote:

How did they come up with this "about an 1 inch", to go the full inch in one go is way to much also this would affect youre saddle setback which would aslo need to adjusted and to add the height of your bars to match the extra 1" youve raised youre saddle.

As gary mentioned RICE for a few days, then start some strectching etc
ChrisM
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes a saddle that is too high can cause knee pain, as can an abrubt change in position as above
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a saddle too low it means you might have to raise it.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
ralphcarter
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generalising is generally dangerous as everyone is different and we can't see your knee, but generally pain in front of the knee is often helped by raising cadence and saddle, and pain behind the knee by dropping the saddle.
billyam998
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed cheering up thanks Razz