Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Hypnotherapy or CBT?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Hypnotherapy or CBT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

special guest star wrote:
martin smith wrote:

honestly I'd say go and see a Chinese doctor and listen to their advice on d iet as well

why?

why not

Beyond acupunture I'm not entirely sure that they are a) useful or b) safe. The doctors are essentially herbalists aren't they? What regulation do they have?
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:

honestly I'd say go and see a Chinese doctor and listen to their advice on d iet as well

why?

why not

er... because there's no good good reason to think their advice might be any better than mad maureen the bus lady who reckons that eating the arse out of a dead mole is the way to go.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
to be fair things get pretty primal anyway when you have gone without sleep for three nights, for once being a 'girl' and getting help is probably the way forward.
three nights, fuck me, what are you worrying about. Its when you start blacking out randomly thro lack of sleep/exhaustion that you need to worry.

In a slightly more serious tone, 3 days is a minor blip TBH, i still now (when officially completely cured) sometimes don't sleep for a handful of days at a time, it eventually catches up, once you stop worrying about it as you are too tired to worry. If that makes sense.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypnotherapy or CBT? Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
As most of you will know, I've moaned all year about my poor health and ongoing sickness and stuff.

Well on the postive side all is impoving greatly... improving to the extent that I recently went on a holiday and just felt normal all week. Ok I came back with a cold, as did the other half and the nipper, but all is good.

Apart from..... a nice bit of insomnia that is simply not going away, infact tis getting worse. Having plenty of time to analyse this during my nights without sleep (and we are talking no sleep at all here) I have come to the following conclusion;

When ill, for about 4 months I felt like you do when you are on the edge of getting over a cold, or when you have been on a massive bender, woken up teh next day with teh worlds worst hangover, and at the end of teh day, you know you need a good nights sleep to get back on track.

This led to me becoming obsessed with getting a good nights sleep, as I constantly felt a few top nights sleep would sort me right out. Alas, after a while the anxiety I had over my illness transferred to getting this seemingly all important sleep, until I developed an unhealthy obsession with getting to sleep... which started to affect my ability to get to sleep in the first place.

This has continued to develop. I am painfully aware of the fact that I am mentally stopping sleep as every time I think I am nodding off, I almost get a little rush of adrenalin when I realise I nearly asleep and wake myself up... then I get wound up, adn its no sleep for Jimmy tonight.

What is frustrating is that if I get to sleep, I am out for 8 hours sound as a pound... if I'm not asleep within 20mins of hitting the sack, it won't happen.

So.... I need to change my underlying attitude to sleep and my 'self talk' when approaching bedtime. For this I need external help... and wondered if anyone had experience, opinions as to what would be the better way forward... hypnosis or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.

Personally I think hypnosis would be a quick fix, however that would rely on being susceptible to hypnosis, but also there are some other 'mental hangovers' from my malaise that would potentially benefit from some CBT work.

Discuss if you can be ars.....

did you drop off?

Quality Laughing
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
martin smith wrote:

why?

why not

er... because there's no good good reason to think their advice might be any better than mad maureen the bus lady who reckons that eating the arse out of a dead mole is the way to go.

do you know anything about Chinese medicine ?
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
martin smith wrote:

why?

why not

*Pulls up a chair and awaits martin's arrival*
Mr.B
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u have any sort of pre-sleep routine to wind down/let ur body know it is time to sleep? e.g. turn the lights down lower at least 30 mins b4 going to bed, read a book, (tho i was never clear how these 2 r supposed to go together!), turn off ALL electronic devices and esp. not use mobiles and cordless phones? and have a glass of milk also 30mins b4 sleeping. and when u r in bed dont look at the clock...

some visualisation techniques might also help e.g. imaging some clear calm body of water...or, failing that, counting sheep!
Ken Avit
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget chinese medicine, have you tried scotch medicine? half a bottle should do the trick
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
martin smith wrote:
martin smith wrote:

why?

why not

oh dear Smile
wibbly wobbly wonder
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat a lettuce sandwich before 30 mins before you go to bed.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wank often helps.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wobbly wonder wrote:

Worked for Peter Rabbit and the Romans.
Ken Avit
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbly wobbly wonder wrote:

how long before the 30 mins before?
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
martin smith wrote:
martin smith wrote:

why?

why not

oh dear Smile

this will do:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html

not to mention the complete lack of an evidence base for the treatments, the frequent contamination of remedies with prescription *CENSORED*, the contamination of remedies with industrial chemicals, heavy metals etc and the use of a large number of endangered species in these 'remedies'
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
Davey C wrote:
martin smith wrote:
martin smith wrote:

why?

why not

oh dear Smile

this will do:

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/acu.html

not to mention the complete lack of an evidence base for the treatments, the frequent contamination of remedies with prescription *CENSORED*, the contamination of remedies with industrial chemicals, heavy metals etc and the use of a large number of endangered species in these 'remedies'

American - oh I see

The BMA approved acupuncture in 2000 and in a survey 76% of GP's would like to have access to it - especially for pain management and musco-skeletal complaints

although I'm not pushing acupuncture anyway ...

I agree about some methods are distinctly bad - steroids hidden in skin creams etc

I'm not here to defend it - I know of people who have found advice etc useful in treating post viral syndromes
herbalists - St Johns wort, Ginseng, - a lot of remedies inc western come from nature

Last edited by special guest star on Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
I used to listen to accountancy CDs when I was studying for me finals. I can honestly say that not once did I make it past the second track. I've probably still got them, will have a look tonight.

HOLY sherhit - you had accountancy CD's.... Tucker - somethings are best left between you and walls you sit in...

That said in my industry I have to listen to people like -:

martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMA approved acupuncture in 2000 and in a survey 76% of GP's would like to have access to it - especially for pain management and musco-skeletal complaints

yup, because it's a powerful placebo.

in terms of the herbal side of chinese medicine, i wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, for the reasons mentioned above, ie the lack of any evidence that it works, the contamination and safety issues and the destruction of endangered species.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a more serious note Jimmy - I've suffered from something similar in the past and it is NO fun at all. I know looking back what caused it - I was working with some cutting edge developers at the time- the sort who turn down Bill Gates to start up some stupid company called Google.... they put me under a stupid amount of pressure which in hindsight it was one of those "Step Up to the plate or Fek Off" times. I stepped up - my health didn't.

I can only describe the sleep as some kind of light meditation state - I would wake up more tired than when I went to sleep - its horrendous.

Trying to find some pattern that works and would help you rest doesn't seem to happen - nothing seems to work - I was also horrendously fatigued. A walk to the shops would wipe me out for the day.... I remember one bad day where the wife asked me to put some washing on the line - she came home from work and I still hadn't done it....

Dr put me on *CENSORED* to try and chill me out - which DID eventually work and I've never given a phuck about anything other than Family and Friends since...lol !
Mr.B
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there might be more to acupuncture than mere placebo effects (tho' these are not to be knocked...). it certainly worked for me (granted n=1) when I had it done and there was no placebo effect as the guy I was seeing (an osteo) never told me he was going to do it! I probably should have been annoyed at him for doing something slightly invasive without my permission, but seeing as it worked it would have been slightly churlish...
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acupuncture worked on my shoulder when more conventional treatment didn't. I was treated at my local NHS hospital physiotherapy department.

TBH I don't trust any medication let alone Chinese herbs and barks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: