Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Hypnotherapy or CBT?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Hypnotherapy or CBT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have acupuncture a couple of times around muscular issues related to back injuries and yeah, it seemed to have a very real affect.

As mentioned above, I also was caught on the hop so to speak, the guy just said 'how are you with needles' I said 'fine' and ten seconds later I had needles jabbed in my leg.

It does cause a definite and immediate affect. Worth a go and see.
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
Acupuncture worked on my shoulder when more conventional treatment didn't. I was treated at my local NHS hospital physiotherapy department.

TBH I don't trust any medication let alone Chinese herbs and barks.

so you dont rub a dock leaf on a nettle sting ?

you want to see how many wester dr ug s are derived from natural products
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

special guest star wrote:

Laughing good example. dock leaves do absolutely nothing to nettle stings. pure placebo.

next...
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play nicely with him Martin
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:

Laughing good example. dock leaves do absolutely nothing to nettle stings. pure placebo.

next...

Whoa, whoa whooooaaa! I'm usually on your side re these discussions, but a life-time of experience tells me different. Doesn't it Confused Confused Confused
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:

next...

rumex contain chlorphenamine which is an anti histamine - and in Piriton
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
I remember one bad day where the wife asked me to put some washing on the line - she came home from work and I still hadn't done it....

'kin 'ell - your Mrs told you to jump and you didn't ask how high? I presume you were medically dead for the day?
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:

next...

not in sufficient quantities to have any effect when you rub it on skin it doesn't.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is said that nettle stings are caused by the formic acid in the sting solution. If it were true, then Dock leaves, which contain Oxalic acid, would not be a remedy. The extremely fine syringe type hair of the Nettle breaks off easily and penetrates the skin. Within this hair is a stinging solution which is only 1% Formic acid. A 2% - 10% concentration is required for the acid to be an irritant. It is histamine and serotonin in the sting which cause the irritation.

Dock leaf sap contains a natural antihistamine. If you rub too hard with the dock leaf, you will merely disturb the nettle sting in your skin and make it worse. The best way to deal with the problem is to break off some dock leaf and chew it for a few seconds, then gently rub the saliva/dock sap mixture around the sting. The antihistamine from the dock leaf together with the natural healing properties of saliva will ease the stinging sensation.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
not in sufficient quantities to have any effect when you rub it on skin it doesn't.

I LOVE your bullsh!t detection - if it wasn't for you I'd have to do it myself, but I'd be nowhere near as good as you. Bravo.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:

Aha - but I will invoke the Hoemopathy (you all know I can't spell for toffee) card for that one and raise you with a bit of Placebo....
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
'kin 'ell - your Mrs told you to jump and you didn't ask how high? I presume you were medically dead for the day?

I might as well have been dude - it wasn't a period of the Thrillster life that I look back on lovingly tbh....

However - I do know that all this bravado and show boating hides the truth that in front of your good lady your nothing but the man out of this scene from The Wall...Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lunIGnMpETs

See from 4.45 onwards for Tucker having a nice night in....lol
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
martin smith wrote:

next...

ref?

Last edited by special guest star on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
martin smith wrote:

I LOVE your bullsh!t detection - if it wasn't for you I'd have to do it myself, but I'd be nowhere near as good as you. Bravo.

bull shit is good to rub on cynics Smile
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he's reading this he'll be well into stage 4 sleep Smile
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
martin smith wrote:

next...

ref?

I'm presuming you refer to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumex

you might want to check the reference for that bit of information you found on wikipedia - it doesn't actually relate to the claim made but just relates to a page of 'reported uses' of dock leaves. I also can't find any reference to the Botanical Research Institute of Tallaght apart from references to the wikipedia article. and the page on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallaght doesn't have any reference to a botanical institute in a town of 73000 people which you would have thought would be something to mention. I may be wrong but i think someone just made that bit up.

trip, pubmed, google scholar, all draw a blank on any actual evidence. so we can safely assume it's Evil or Very Mad. there's a couple of studies about it in relation to hayfever but they are inconclusive.

as you were.

PS. "Dr A Cocklawn"? did that not ring alarm bells? He doesn't exist by the way Wink
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm disappointed by the lack of comeback... Wink
BryanTaylor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, only just noticed this thread & I'm sure I posted quite a long reply to an earlier thread from you about long term health problems?

But when i was ill I was sent to a CBT *CENSORED*. I think Dr's try to use them instead of *CENSORED* where possible as they apparantly have quite good success rates. I saw one every week for about 10 sessions IIRC & TBH whilst it all made sense, when you've hit a certain point of illness, I think you're probably beyond help from just talking sense. I saw another Dr when mine was away & he pretty much panicked when I did a test & scored maximum for depression & he stuck me straight on prozac.

Luckily(!) because i was getting loads of nasty side effects from prozac (unable to sleep being one of them) my original Dr then sent me to an EFT *CENSORED* as a last resort & one visit to the EFT guy had me almost fixed. TBH i had little faith in it given I'd seen god knows how many different people from *CENSORED* breathing practitioners to leading heart *CENSORED*, accupunture & alternative medicine practioners like homeopaths with very little joy, but 40mins of someone tapping on me on various supposed problem points & repeating sentances over & over left me unable to get out of bed until 4pm the next day but within a day or 2 I was on the phone to my Dr demanding to come off prozac straight away.

I then had a problem which was that prozac is such nasty stuff that it left me with some side effects for a few months (sleep issues/flashbacks being 2 of them) & although i didn't go back to the CBT person, I did have counselling for a few weeks just to help me deal with it & get back to normal again.

Was the worst year of my life, but something that now I can look back on use to my advantage as I get older as I learnt so much about myself & how the mind works & lots of other areas. hopefully when you're fixed, you'll be able to look back in a similar manner.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly...or not, I ended up seeing a hypnotherapist, and although my overall impression was that it was a load of cods wallop, I have only had one nights poor sleep since.

The women gave me a cd I could listen to before going to bed, but the only trouble sleeping I have had came when I tried to play said CD before going to sleep.

I am not sure if the 'hypnotherapy' worked, or teh pre threrapy consultation helped clarify things, but taking last night as an example... I was going through all the normal steps towards a sleepless episode, got as far as teh top of the stairs to get up and read, but instead said, 'don't be silly' went back to bed and went to sleep straight away.

To be honest for me, looking back at it, I was so tired I was obsessed with sleep, so actually acting like a little baby in that respect, getting stressed because I wanted sleep, but unable to sleep because of the stress... a few good nights rest and its infectious and I am far less stressed about getting sleep as I am up to date with my sleep.... I tell thee its a dangerous game.

As for the 'illness' thats still not quite right. I recently caught a cold that has dragged on for weeks, adn although finally on its way off now, it has set me back months. Currently the lymph nodes in pits and groin are 'tender' letting me know I am still dealing with some 'stress'... its just knowing if thats mental or a physical stress... Grrr!
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this coming from the man who corners as fast in the cold icky dampness of the winter as he does in the middle of the summer?

Try chilling out a bit! Life gets a lot easier when you realise some things aren't worth worrying about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: