Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Getting your balance back after a head injury

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Getting your balance back after a head injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fritz
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Getting your balance back after a head injury Reply with quote

Just been asked for some help from a friend who wants to start riding her bike again after suffering a brain injury.
The problem is that she has great difficulty balancing on a bike and would like to know if there is something that doesn't cost too much that she could use to regain her balance and confidence and start riding properly again. I suggested a trike or some sort of stabilizers but I am not sure what exists on the market. Obviously a trike is out of her budget but can you get stabilizers for normal commuting or road bikes?
cyclistm
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no relevant experience or qualifications in this, but would suggest not getting back on a bike until the balance comes back, it is asking for trouble.

Turbo if she is really keen?
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of them balance boards if its just a retraining thing

trike if its long term/permanent
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Getting your balance back after a head injury Reply with quote

Fritz wrote:
Just been asked for some help from a friend who wants to start riding her bike again after suffering a brain injury.
The problem is that she has great difficulty balancing on a bike and would like to know if there is something that doesn't cost too much that she could use to regain her balance and confidence and start riding properly again. I suggested a trike or some sort of stabilizers but I am not sure what exists on the market. Obviously a trike is out of her budget but can you get stabilizers for normal commuting or road bikes?

I bet a bike shop would be willing to help - I'm sure moulton size wheels could be fitted to brackets - a la stabalisers - it sounds a good challenge for a mechanic

what about fixed rollers as well to help the orientation
bushman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question, a friend of mine is a consultant neurosurgeon and I know some good physios too. Will ask them for their thoughts. Good luck with the recovery
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting your balance back after a head injury Reply with quote

Fritz wrote:
I suggested a trike

Have you ever ridden a trike? It does your head in, even if it's not already been done in before you start...
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting your balance back after a head injury Reply with quote

eastway82 wrote:
Fritz wrote:
I suggested a trike

Have you ever ridden a trike? It does your head in, even if it's not already been done in before you start...

I concur. I borrowed a racing trike one summer and rode it around East Yorkshire. It's more like dinghy sailing than cycling and seriously scary on the hills Shocked
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting your balance back after a head injury Reply with quote

eastway82 wrote:
Fritz wrote:
I suggested a trike

Really? What's different about them? I just assumed it would be a pain to steer.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting your balance back after a head injury Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
eastway82 wrote:
Fritz wrote:
I suggested a trike

Really? What's different about them? I just assumed it would be a pain to steer.

Yep you steer by hanging from side to side ala dingy sailing to alter the centre of gravity.
John McC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feck that.

And one looks a prat too.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Getting your balance back after a head injury Reply with quote

mho wrote:
Tucker wrote:
eastway82 wrote:
Fritz wrote:
I suggested a trike

Yep you steer by hanging from side to side ala dingy sailing to alter the centre of gravity.

But I steer a dinghy by turning the outboard motor...
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Getting your balance back after a head injury Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

But I steer a dinghy by turning the outboard motor...

Very Happy Very Happy

If you've ever ridden one of those trick/circus bikes where the bars turn the opposite way to the wheel, that's the level of headfck you get on a trike first time out. It's completely counter-intuitive and most people end up going straight on at the first corner. And, as John McC says, you look a prat too.
Zarate
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's a great laugh, and works you hard as well on the climbs.
Though of course Duffers was a trike man, and that says it all really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: