Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Small Children and Colds/Viruses and Training

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Small Children and Colds/Viruses and Training

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GZA
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Small Children and Colds/Viruses and Training Reply with quote

I've gone from having at worst one or two illnesses a year that prevented me from training to having one every month since the arrival of my son 16 months ago. I now have no base fitness left what so ever!

Will I ever be the same?! I feel like giving up now, every time I get a few weeks training in going he brings home something new for me from nursery and I go back to untrained! Arrgghh!

And relax
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill shares your pain.
colinpeerman
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
Rich Hill shares your pain.

Rich Hill shares with no-one. the world shares their food with him
colinpeerman
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Children and Colds/Viruses and Training Reply with quote

GZA wrote:
I've gone from having at worst one or two illnesses a year that prevented me from training to having one every month since the arrival of my son 16 months ago. I now have no base fitness left what so ever!

Will I ever be the same?! I feel like giving up now, every time I get a few weeks training in going he brings home something new for me from nursery and I go back to untrained! Arrgghh!

And relax

has this got anything to do with it ? Wink

Quote:
I have 2 great chippys within 5mins of work - Fryers Delight on Theobalds Rd, and another on Leigh St the name of which escapes me

Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Children and Colds/Viruses and Training Reply with quote

GZA wrote:

And relax
Your immune system is being strengthened. So is his.

Think yourself most fortunate you can ride your bike at all.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
GZA
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Children and Colds/Viruses and Training Reply with quote

colinpeerman wrote:

has this got anything to do with it ? Wink

Quote:
I have 2 great chippys within 5mins of work - Fryers Delight on Theobalds Rd, and another on Leigh St the name of which escapes me

Oh very fecking funny Peerman! I get my 5 a day!
GZA
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Children and Colds/Viruses and Training Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:

Yes you're right, but I've never enjoyed just riding - its the self improvement and competition I do it for, not sightseeing or company.

Are you off the bike for some reason then Roy? Excuse my ignorance.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ex of mine did this to me when she started doing teaching practice at primary school. So i'd avoid her for an hour or so after every time out on the bike (as i read somewhere that it takes 30 mins or something for your immune system to recover after hard exercise) then also started on Echinacea and VitC/Zinc *CENSORED*.

While there is probably fök all evidence to back it up, this worked, for all the teaching practices.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Small Children and Colds/Viruses and Training Reply with quote

GZA wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:

Yes you're right, but I've never enjoyed just riding - its the self improvement and competition I do it for, not sightseeing or company.

Are you off the bike for some reason then Roy? Excuse my ignorance.
No need to ask to be excused, I wrote ambiguously.

New parents often have time for nothing but parenting, being able to ride a bike is a bonus. I remember it well, and that's what I was referring to with 'fortunate'.

I similarly don't enjoy just riding either, there has to be an element of competition or training involved.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
GZA
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
An ex of mine did this to me when she started doing teaching practice at primary school. So i'd avoid her for an hour or so after every time out on the bike (as i read somewhere that it takes 30 mins or something for your immune system to recover after hard exercise) then also started on Echinacea and VitC/Zinc *CENSORED*.

While there is probably fök all evidence to back it up, this worked, for all the teaching practices.

Yes I believe there may be evidence to back the former but not the latter re vit c / zinc or echinacea! Maybe I should just train once he's in bed, that might help.

Cheers
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GZA - this is part and parcel of parenthood really. Long nights , broken sleep. Little or no free time.
GZA
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL - he sleeps very well - after alot of effort in the early days, so not just lucky! Anyway I'll never except that 'its just the way its is' I'm way to stubborn for that! Little time I'm used to, that's how I live my life but being unable to train because of illness just gets me grumpy!

All my own fault I know...
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah now this is something I have been dealing with... don't do what I did and ignore the situation as the bite back is nasty. I got smacked with a virus that did me for most of last year, and even now I am still seeing side effects to an extent.

An old boss of mine used to explain a theory he had on stress and the human body. He reckons there was one scale, and physical exercise, mental stress, immune system attacks, lack of sleep, etc etc all effected where you were on this scale.

His point being, there was a point on the scale where it all became unsustainable and the body would break down... so basically you need to look at all factors going on in your life and respond accordingly.

For me, looking back, I was burning candles left right and centre, and not supporting that with good sleep, *CENSORED* and adequate relaxation.

These days, I thnk about my *CENSORED* more, and certainly support that with supplements that may or may not make a difference but I believe they do... including Multi vit and mineral of a good quality, High quality pro-biotic (we're talking 1.5billion culture capsule not a yoghurt drink), fish oils capsule, mega B complex for occasional use around heavy training days, and Co-Enzyme Q10 (which I really need to check against the UCI banned list as its training effects are currently seemingly superb!).

I have also taken to sucking on a triple action strepsil when I get in from long rides, and maintaining especially good hand hygiene for the hours following a hard ride.

I also, focus more on going to bed early, and allowing myself time for a power nap when I get back from work.

The effects are OK... the daughter changed nurseries recently, and the other half started working at a scholl for young 'uns, and the colds and sickness doing the rounds have been comprehensive... I am starting to see me fairing better than the other half health wise, despite maintaining a decent training load.

That was a bit long winded, sorry.
GZA
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points though!

I'm travelling alot more for work recently which is probably what has put me over the edge a bit - I eat really well and am in bed by 10.00pm most nights.

Once thing I did notice was, when I lived at home if my sister got a cold I would catch it straight away. After years of living with the mrs and very rarely catching her multiple colds, I rarely got one. Now I have another creature with the same genetic make up in the house, I am getting all his stuff - coincedence?
richyrich
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:

These days, I thnk about my *CENSORED* more, and certainly support that with supplements that may or may not make a difference but I believe they do... including Multi vit and mineral of a good quality, High quality pro-biotic (we're talking 1.5billion culture capsule not a yoghurt drink), fish oils capsule, mega B complex for occasional use around heavy training days, and Co-Enzyme Q10 (which I really need to check against the UCI banned list as its training effects are currently seemingly superb!).

Wowser, that's some deep pockets you have there JimmyRay!

I am a new parent too. Add to that, that I am on a course of immunosuppressants for an autoimmune disease, and wham, I get everything going.

Key is to make sure you recover fully first, or you'll only make it worse. You'll be surprised how little training you can get away with. Most of us chippers usually train too much for the level of racing we do, so a rest is as good as a , erm, rest Exclamation

I was off the bike completely for 2 years, and I am still 'OK' by my own standards after a few weeks of training.

Don't panic Exclamation
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that, and thought 'what are you talking about?' then worked it out... £28 a month... Thats more than I want to spending on supplements... Still an excuse for not getting Sky I suppose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: