Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - BMI Index

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

BMI Index
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
1. The guy in the wooly jumper has no legs. Fact.
2. The guy in front of him is the shortest man in the world.

Dennis Tarr was very definitely 'one of the UK's top riders' in the 1960's, and had endurance plus a powerful sprint.
He kept a low profile and went 'under the radar' of many big rivals Wink
Dennis rode LVRC etc, possibly until the early 2000's and, while his weight was 'way up' (couldn't ride on the drops!) he was still winning sprint finishes! Some heart issues then forced him to pack in racing.
Quite a guy! His 'palmares' would be bettered by few in the UK, not that I have a list to publish.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
Dennis rode LVRC etc, possibly until the early 2000's and, while his weight was 'way up' (couldn't ride on the drops!) he was still winning sprint finishes!
Fairly sure I saw him at Eastway as a (pardon me) very fat old git indeed, with a weird beard as well. Rode away from most of us, too... Sad

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogma Dave wrote:
legro wrote:
great picture Dave what a star

What Legro said. Cool

Yeah plus a gazillion. To do races like was it 113 miles or something the Manx was with rationing still being in and all that is awesome.

(only joking about the rationing Dave!)
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:
legro wrote:

What Legro said. Cool

Yeah plus a gazillion. To do races like was it 113 miles or something the Manx was with rationing still being in and all that is awesome.

I think we had sweets by then (not that I ever ate any Wink )
but the Pro race was 'only' 100 miles, 10 laps of the Onchan circuit. I would 'suggest' that this was harder than the Manx lap as all you seemed to do was: climb and descend.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
JONNO wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:
legro wrote:

What Legro said. Cool

but the Pro race was 'only' 100 miles, 10 laps of the Onchan circuit. I would 'suggest' that this was harder than the Manx lap as all you seemed to do was: climb and descend.

I remember watching it one year, Barry Hoban, Graham Webb of VR fame and Vinny Denson were all riding and I remember going to the hotel they were staying in with me dad and being in total awe. Bizarrely I can still remember the conversation they were all having which was about the benefits of eating raw meat to get a tape worm and lose weight and at what stage you should take poison to get rid of it. I was about 12 at the time so found it quite fascinating! Not sure if it wasn't the year after Simpson died so '68 probably. If you have ever ridden down off the mountain in a hailstorm praying your brakes will work at every corner you might argue the 'hardness' case. Very Happy
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those delightful occaisions when a thread goes in an entirely different direction that is most welcome (instead of punnery/name calling and the like).

Can we have some more old pictures please.
Joursans
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Yeah but who's the geezer behind Mr Tarr with the TOP wooly on?

Laughing Laughing

I was just admiring how "nails" everyone looked in the photo until the Rudolph knitwear spoiled it.
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
Dave Griffiths wrote:
JONNO wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:
legro wrote:

What Legro said. Cool

I remember watching it one year, Barry Hoban, Graham Webb of VR fame and Vinny Denson were all riding and I remember going to the hotel they were staying in with me dad and being in total awe. Bizarrely I can still remember the conversation they were all having which was about the benefits of eating raw meat to get a tape worm and lose weight and at what stage you should take poison to get rid of it. I was about 12 at the time so found it quite fascinating! Not sure if it wasn't the year after Simpson died so '68 probably. If you have ever ridden down off the mountain in a hailstorm praying your brakes will work at every corner you might argue the 'hardness' case. Very Happy

Stotti
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabulous pic Dave - must be great memories if you can forget the pain. You make John Woodburn look positively fat in that pic, and im guessing he wasnt.

I was ridin bikes when Moses wore short pants
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
QUALLA photo - looking buff.

What he said... I am very envious Smile
Des

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely it's time for the IoM week to resurrected given the current resurgence in the sport, and the success of Manx riders like Cav?
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Surely it's time for the IoM week to resurrected given the current resurgence in the sport, and the success of Manx riders like Cav?

I'd love to go back out there!

A great weeks worth of cycling
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.iomtt.com/TT-2010/*CENSORED*-Race-Schedule.aspx it should read Pr act ice-an d-R ace
Compared to setting up a 'big race', over an exciting course, in England, Wales or Scotland, it would 'seem' that to resurrect the Isle of Man Cycling Week could be a simpler or more straightforward task. For those who don't know, the Cycling Week followed directly on from the TT Week and benefitted from the race route preparations made for that i.e straw bales on dodgy bits, route markers and road surface conditions (no potholes, loose gravel etc).
It always seemed popular with the residents and must surely have contributed to the 'holiday season income'.
The TT Stand is there and all the associated 'stuff' helps to add atmosphere. Some basic (at that time) changing facilities existed under the stand and the loudspeaker system was available.
Of course, it all needs organising and that's where I duck out!
I believe that I heard one of the reasons for its decline was the cessation of the Liverpool ferrys that most used.
My take on the Week was on the following lines and remember ..... I was spectacularly unsuccessful - and I still loved it.
Maybe others will have different opinions but the Manx and Clypse courses that I rode were almost unmatched. If you want courses that will sort out the wheat from the chaff - they are the bees knees Laughing
There was no way 'anyone' could sit-in and win on them. As Jonno correctly said, the weather could play a big part but even on a brilliant day, that Manx 113 miles would be super tough. The sheer speed, on the 12 mile flat stretch, from Ballig to Ramsey, allowed massive attacks to develop, full road width in use. You could be sitting 'fairly comfortably' Wink in a 'good working' echelon and ANOTHER echelon 'scream' past on the far side, Wow!
Of course, all this 'fun' came to a crunching reality, immediately after threading through Ramsey town centre. On my final appearance there, in 1967, by a fluke of echelon timing (and with no relevance), I actually led through Ramsey on the second lap, quite something, with big crowds, lots of noise. I don't know the gradient, but the first, short, section is seriously steep, then eases but goes on forever! For those who think they can climb, being able to 'climb' is, of itself, of no value. You HAVE to be able to ride at the race pace. That meant, in my day (with only 10 speed) I had to climb with a bottom gear of 44x23 (normally had 20 or 21 bottom). Any lower gear and you wouldn't keep up. As the climb progressed, the pace increased and one had to change up to 44x20 (13,15,17,20,23 block - BIG steps!) and, while the peleton pace was 'fairly steady' you could 'feel' surges and that's when the splits came.
Yes Des, can someone get it back, proper racing!
one man army
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great photo

What a great jumper

I remember watching a hirsuite Dennis Tarr only a few years ago at Preston Park. Babydinotrackboy must have raced against him down there?

Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMI = a load of old sh1te.

Get a pair of Accumeasure bodyfat calipers (or similar) for a tenner and you'll have a better idea as to whether or not you need to lay off the pies.
Webster
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogma Dave wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
The oldest of all -- simple waist measurement -- is the best indicator.

The British Heart Foundation share that view.

i got a tape measure through the post from the british heart foundation about this, i thought id give it a try 31" and i was only about 1" away from being "at risk" so basically almost all of the british population is "at risk"

"If you wish to be in front, then act as if you where behind" -- Lao-Tzu
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
http://www.iomtt.com/TT-2010/*CENSORED*-Race-Schedule.aspx it should read Pr act ice-an d-R ace
Compared to setting up a 'big race', over an exciting course, in England, Wales or Scotland, it would 'seem' that to resurrect the Isle of Man Cycling Week could be a simpler or more straightforward task. For those who don't know, the Cycling Week followed directly on from the TT Week and benefitted from the race route preparations made for that i.e straw bales on dodgy bits, route markers and road surface conditions (no potholes, loose gravel etc).
It always seemed popular with the residents and must surely have contributed to the 'holiday season income'.
The TT Stand is there and all the associated 'stuff' helps to add atmosphere. Some basic (at that time) changing facilities existed under the stand and the loudspeaker system was available.
Of course, it all needs organising and that's where I duck out!
I believe that I heard one of the reasons for its decline was the cessation of the Liverpool ferrys that most used.
My take on the Week was on the following lines and remember ..... I was spectacularly unsuccessful - and I still loved it.
Maybe others will have different opinions but the Manx and Clypse courses that I rode were almost unmatched. If you want courses that will sort out the wheat from the chaff - they are the bees knees Laughing
There was no way 'anyone' could sit-in and win on them. As Jonno correctly said, the weather could play a big part but even on a brilliant day, that Manx 113 miles would be super tough. The sheer speed, on the 12 mile flat stretch, from Ballig to Ramsey, allowed massive attacks to develop, full road width in use. You could be sitting 'fairly comfortably' Wink in a 'good working' echelon and ANOTHER echelon 'scream' past on the far side, Wow!
Of course, all this 'fun' came to a crunching reality, immediately after threading through Ramsey town centre. On my final appearance there, in 1967, by a fluke of echelon timing (and with no relevance), I actually led through Ramsey on the second lap, quite something, with big crowds, lots of noise. I don't know the gradient, but the first, short, section is seriously steep, then eases but goes on forever! For those who think they can climb, being able to 'climb' is, of itself, of no value. You HAVE to be able to ride at the race pace. That meant, in my day (with only 10 speed) I had to climb with a bottom gear of 44x23 (normally had 20 or 21 bottom). Any lower gear and you wouldn't keep up. As the climb progressed, the pace increased and one had to change up to 44x20 (13,15,17,20,23 block - BIG steps!) and, while the peleton pace was 'fairly steady' you could 'feel' surges and that's when the splits came.
Yes Des, can someone get it back, proper racing!

Check the tli website, there seems to be more racing in the IOM than the rest of the UK put together!
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
I'm the 'skinny one' 2nd left, Helyett, behind John Woodburn, with Dennis Tarr to right. From Isle of Man Pro Race, 1962.

Who's the guy with the dodgy jumper who's getting a 'backy' from Dennis Tarr. Question And Dennis is must have been on a stormer that day if he can go up the mountain like that Shocked
"real class" - George Gilbert"
olamba
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can lie, no-one will know...

http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthyweightcalculator.aspx?Tag=&gclid=CNfozuyFgaICFRUslAod2yqqFQ

great pic btw
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webster wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
The oldest of all -- simple waist measurement -- is the best indicator.

The British Heart Foundation share that view.

i got a tape measure through the post from the british heart foundation about this, i thought id give it a try 31" and i was only about 1" away from being "at risk" so basically almost all of the british population is "at risk"

It is 37" for men and 31.5" for women.
http://www.bhf.org.uk/bmi/bmi_measurewaist.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: