Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cadence for sprinting

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cadence for sprinting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah,

Wack it in a bigger gear than feels comfortable, quitely though so no one can hear you getting ready, jump out the saddle and into the gutter on the opposite side of the road and stamp on them pedals.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start sprinting with about ten miles to go and just keep the speed at about 40mph. Don't over complicate it.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
bushman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too early for that Dave. For what its worth start the sprint on the gear you intend to finish on. If you change gear during the sprint you will loose momentum. Start near or at the front and pick a good wheel to lead you out, failing that lead it out yourself. Just get in my pocket at newburn-you will be fine.
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprint drills on the road. 300 metres min. Jump to speed, hold then kick with 100 to go.

Some old git who knows a bit about winning road sprints recommends sprinting to the bottom of a hill (300m), then continuing to sprint up the hill - sounds like torture to me but he has won a lot of races Wink
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Start sprinting with about ten miles to go and just keep the speed at about 40mph. Don't over complicate it.

Obviously what he said, but 50mph..........
Davey D
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushman wrote:
Too early for that Dave. For what its worth start the sprint on the gear you intend to finish on. If you change gear during the sprint you will loose momentum. Start near or at the front and pick a good wheel to lead you out, failing that lead it out yourself. Just get in my pocket at newburn-you will be fine.

Cheers

Good session tonight, had to pull out towards the end I started to cramp up in calf, had a busy day so not much fuel inside me.
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people say 'I can't sprint' , but then admit they never do any sprint training, so you've got a head start already, juts by working at it.
I'd also say you need to work out what kind of sprinter you are though.
Have you got a big kick, or do you need to wind it up over distance? No point using a kick strategy if you're a diesel.
The other thing is at the end of your session, (or any session for that matter), end it with the MOTHER of all sprint efforts, aimed at a specific finishing line, the aim being to get to your max speed however that works best for you, maintain it as long as you can, then hit the line ready to chuck up over your bars and just at the point where you can't sustain the speed any more. Basically, working on your judgement of exactly how to empty your body out completely and pour it onto the pedals, and still make it to the line without dying. If you can speak or breathe normally within a couple of minutes of this, you're not doing it hard enough.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally its all about what works for you.... and what works for you will be best found out by tryign different things.

I was doing some seated accelerations yesterday, alternating between changing gear through teh effort (maintaining torque), and doing the whole sprint in the same gear I was cruising on the flat at. Same bit of road, same maximum speed (well half a klick in it) between styles.

Difficult to give a direct comparision as I am shutting down as soon as stop accelerating, but I would say the high cadence stuff will help the sprint more when it comes to racing in a few weeks.

Anyway, back to teh subject, try some stuff, and see what works....but practice is what its all about.
Davey D
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies

4 weeks to my first race so going to start practising, its got an uphill finish
so got a good idea what the finish is going to like.
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this, just started doing them, Cadel's recommendation for a powerful finish.

Long 10% drag, 5 min effort up in 53x14 seated at about 75% effort and 30-40 cadence. Spin legs back down hill and repeat about 4 times.

Fun fun fun!
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnier wrote:
Try this, just started doing them, Cadel's recommendation for a powerful finish.

Long 10% drag, 5 min effort up in 53x14 seated at about 75% effort and 30-40 cadence. Spin legs back down hill and repeat about 4 times.

Fun fun fun!

Sounds like a recommendation made by an unethical knee doctor.
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah knees hurt a bit, but could only push the 15 last week, managed 14 this time. measurable improvement Wink
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnier wrote:
yeah knees hurt a bit, but could only push the 15 last week, managed 14 this time. measurable improvement Wink

Excellent. Nothing pleases me more than a young man ruining his knees.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10% drag..

You mean the same as Alpe d'Huez!!!
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Magnier wrote:

Fun fun fun!
Sounds like a recommendation made by an unethical knee doctor.
Magnier wrote:
Well I guess repetition of an exercise will make you better at that exercise and that low-cadence high-resistance might make your legs stronger, but is it going to make you faster in a sprint finish?

A totally contrasting recommendation I've seen is

- find a dip followed by an uphill run
- spin up to sprinting cadence on the down
- hold that cadence as long as possible up the hill going full gas ('go til you blow')

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
John McC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I know, but my sprint training, as prescribed by a rather good sprinter and coach, is very different to Mr. Magniers. Unfortunately details cost 5 grand and I am sworn to secrecy Wink
bushman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course yopu have to be in a position to use your sprint in order to make training it worthwhile. Put yourself in that position first then you can start working on your sprint.
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnier wrote:

Fun fun fun!

Powerful finish maybe, but doesn't sound much good for sprinting to me. Perhaps one reason why you don't often see Mr Evans elbow to elbow with Cav.
Also perhaps why he seems to have a habit of getting caught at the wrong end of the bunch when unexpected splits occur – he's probably back at the team car getting something rubbed on his sore knees... Wink
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Evans' drill looks great for strength. Not sure it would trigger the neurological response needed to train the sort of power you need for sprinting.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to sprint down hills, not up

I'm a qualified coach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: