Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cadence for sprinting

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cadence for sprinting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bushman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats my kind of sprinting, unfortunately most of the local road races finish uphill
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastway82 wrote:
Magnier wrote:
Try this, just started doing them, Cadel's recommendation for a powerful finish.

Long 10% drag, 5 min effort up in 53x14 seated at about 75% effort and 30-40 cadence. Spin legs back down hill and repeat about 4 times.

Fun fun fun!

Powerful finish maybe, but doesn't sound much good for sprinting to me. Perhaps one reason why you don't often see Mr Evans elbow to elbow with Cav.
Also perhaps why he seems to have a habit of getting caught at the wrong end of the bunch when unexpected splits occur – he's probably back at the team car getting something rubbed on his sore knees... Wink

My thoughts exactly! Good prep for a blistering last five miles in a world champs though!
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Magnier wrote:
Try this, just started doing them, Cadel's recommendation for a powerful finish.

Long 10% drag, 5 min effort up in 53x14 seated at about 75% effort and 30-40 cadence. Spin legs back down hill and repeat about 4 times.

Fun fun fun!

Sounds like a recommendation made by an unethical knee doctor.

Oh dear Tucker, are you saying you are not doing any big gear work? You're not are you?

Whilst I would agree Magnier's trainign will not really help a sprint, it will certainly develop 'grunt' through the refinement of muscle contractions... its basically weight training on bikes... and weight training thats not going to develop actual mass of muscle, but strengthen the neuromuscular efficiencies.

As low cadences mentioned at those efforts, you have to really think about delivering power throughout the stroke. Now admittedly you have to back this up with some other pedal drills, or as mentioned, you will train yourself to pedal slower, but the benefits of big gear work are clear to me, and can almost immediately be felt.

Personally I'd look to do 4-6 3min reps in a session, and possibly go up to 80% effort, but the duration adn reps mentioned aren't going to ruin anyones knees unless there is something else going on.
varno
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnier wrote:
Short standing intervals up a slight incline and slightly over-gearing yourself. Regularly.

But im no sprinter Laughing

Actually a slight decline will more beneficial to creat the leg speed. An incline will build the strength etc.

Downhill sprints are a well used session with the top trackies..

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=182745114790&ref=mf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCZGQ3rMG0
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do them as well!
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
Oh dear Tucker, are you saying you are not doing any big gear work? You're not are you?

Whilst I would agree Magnier's trainign will not really help a sprint, it will certainly develop 'grunt' through the refinement of muscle contractions... its basically weight training on bikes... and weight training thats not going to develop actual mass of muscle, but strengthen the neuromuscular efficiencies.

As low cadences mentioned at those efforts, you have to really think about delivering power throughout the stroke. Now admittedly you have to back this up with some other pedal drills, or as mentioned, you will train yourself to pedal slower, but the benefits of big gear work are clear to me, and can almost immediately be felt.

Personally I'd look to do 4-6 3min reps in a session, and possibly go up to 80% effort, but the duration adn reps mentioned aren't going to ruin anyones knees unless there is something else going on.

b...b... but 30rpm. Christ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: