Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Heart rate question

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Heart rate question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shockedsoshocked
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
How high or low your heart beat goes has very little to do with natural ability.
Well now I thought that (a) natural low rest rate (meaning large, powerful heart) and (b) ability to send your rate very high were pretty much exactly what indicated the presence of natural ability, for an endurance athlete anyway.

Stroke volume is also taken into account when looking at Cardiac output (heartrate x volume). I've seen fat bastards in the lab get up to well over 220 HR, but their stroke volume will be tiny.

That's why (amongst other super-human qualities) Indurain was so good. Very low resting HR, very high Max HR and a stroke volume a Bull would be proud of.
colinpeerman
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shockedsoshocked wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
How high or low your heart beat goes has very little to do with natural ability.
Well now I thought that (a) natural low rest rate (meaning large, powerful heart) and (b) ability to send your rate very high were pretty much exactly what indicated the presence of natural ability, for an endurance athlete anyway.

Stroke volume is also taken into account when looking at Cardiac output (heartrate x volume). I've seen fat bastards in the lab get up to well over 220 HR, but their stroke volume will be tiny.

That's why (amongst other super-human qualities) Indurain was so good. Very low resting HR, very high Max HR and a stroke volume a Bull would be proud of.

i think we all know the reason Indurain was good.

heart rate wasn't it. Idea
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shockedsoshocked wrote:
Was there no end to the man's talents?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
shockedsoshocked
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinpeerman wrote:
shockedsoshocked wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

It's the same reason Riis, Jan and Armstrong were good Razz
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinpeerman wrote:
shockedsoshocked wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

Come now peerman, all of his contemporaries indulged, and he could still put a quarter of an hour into them in a TT.
Des

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colinpeerman wrote:
shockedsoshocked wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

I would suggest that his heart would need to be pretty strong in order to pump blood with the consistency of cold porridge around his body.
London Bus Chaser
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
colinpeerman wrote:
shockedsoshocked wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

I would suggest that his heart would need to be pretty strong in order to pump blood with the consistency of cold porridge around his body.

what sort of blood pressure would he have Shocked
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

London Bus Chaser wrote:
Des wrote:
colinpeerman wrote:
shockedsoshocked wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

Shouldn't that be have had, might be quite normal nowadays
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

London Bus Chaser wrote:
Des wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
A million
Wink
London Bus Chaser
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... for those of you who are interested... which I guess is noone.
I lowered the volume of training last couple of weeks and kept the intensity relatively low.
Been out today for a few hours. Did some intervals & managed to get the HR into the mid 180s during the intervals.
So I guess the problem was fatigue.
Important for us slightly older riders to recover. Idea
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is 'slightly older'?
Des

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

You could think that.
London Bus Chaser
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
What is 'slightly older'?

not in my first flush of youth.

approaching 40 (from the wrong direction)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: