Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Wipe your bike down.

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Wipe your bike down.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say not looking after the finish is an idiot thing, once the paints gone, you get corrosion.
With CF you will get water and UV damage if you get thru the clearcoat.
Easier just to spend an extra minute getting the frame clean.

Easier to spot damage too, before you go down the road on your face.

Bet you never clean your car either do you........
Matteo
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
mattr wrote:
Dirty frame, makes it easy to damage the finish, either from cable rub. Or rubbing against it with legs or whatever.

WGAF about the finish? It is a ponce thing?

No. Wearing white and pink kit is a ponce thing.

If you're bike is dirty you look like a scumbag. Isn't there actually a rule that a rider shouldn't be allowed to start a race on a dirty bike? Pro's certainly aren't.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
I'd say not looking after the finish is an idiot thing, once the paints gone, you get corrosion.
Easier just to spend an extra minute getting the frame clean.

Nope. How will this kill me?
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
At the risk of being a bit fick
Err, you may possibly wish to be more risk averse...

Tucker wrote:
What exactly is the point of keeping the frame spotlessly clean?
Looks nicer (although probably not on an old Allez, I'll give you that), plus all the 100% nailed on things that mattr said

Tucker wrote:
The bits you really want to keep clean are the moving parts - drivetrain, brakes, derailleurs etc -
Absolutely spot on, now we're getting somewhere.

Tucker wrote:
for which wipes are useless.
Doh! Absolutely not spot on. Wipes come into their own for cleaning brakes, mechs, sprockets, chainrings. They get oil and grease and crap off you see. That's what they are good at. Please try to keep up.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogma Dave wrote:
Tucker wrote:
Doh! Absolutely not spot on. Wipes come into their own for cleaning brakes, mechs, sprockets, chainrings. They get oil and grease and crap off you see. That's what they are good at. Please try to keep up.

Shirley, SHIRLEY they tear when you rub them roughly over yer chainrings? And how exactly do they clean (say) the gaps in yer brake calipers where all the crap accumulates? Brushes must be better?
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:
Tucker wrote:

Shirley, SHIRLEY they tear when you rub them roughly over yer chainrings? And how exactly do they clean (say) the gaps in yer brake calipers where all the crap accumulates? Brushes must be better?

For chainring and sprocket use, you may be surprised to hear that you are best not to rub them roughly in a direction perpendicular to that of the ring. But you don't need to you see. You will find nothing better for sprocket cleaning. And as for brakes, you would be surprised at the cracks baby wipes can get into and do their stuff. Oh yes.
wobbly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogma Dave wrote:
Tucker wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:
Tucker wrote:

For chainring and sprocket use, you may be surprised to hear that you are best not to rub them roughly in a direction perpendicular to that of the ring. But you don't need to you see. You will find nothing better for sprocket cleaning. And as for brakes, you would be surprised at the cracks baby wipes can get into and do their stuff. Oh yes.

Word.
Missus W just noticed that the baby wipes had disappeared into the garage again Embarassed
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall have to try these baby wipes.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
mattr wrote:
Easier just to spend an extra minute getting the frame clean.frame fail

Nope. How will this kill me?

Having a frame fail might kill you.

Not keeping the car clean *probably* means your anti-perforation warranty is worthless, plus the car will depreciate much faster than it would otherwise. Which might induce a heart attack in someone as tight as you.

But as your missus seems to crash them before anything major can go wrong, not really a concern......
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
But as your missus seems to crash them before anything major can go wrong, not really a concern......

Word. I only ever fill it up halfway, just in case...
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
Not keeping the car clean *probably* means your anti-perforation warranty is worthless, plus the car will depreciate much faster than it would otherwise.
Don't you just get it valeted when you want to sell it?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
mattr wrote:
Not keeping the car clean *probably* means your anti-perforation warranty is worthless, plus the car will depreciate much faster than it would otherwise.
can if you want, but if the paintwork is scratched to feck and has half a dozen corrosion start points it will cost extra to get it valetted. And may need a trip to a paint shop.

Cleaning it once every couple of thousand miles is hardly a chore.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
mattr wrote:
can if you want, but if the paintwork is scratched to feck and has half a dozen corrosion start points it will cost extra to get it valetted. And may need a trip to a paint shop.

Cleaning it once every couple of thousand miles is hardly a chore.
Hmm, is cleaning going to prevent scratching? It is said that more scratches are caused by cleaning (you rub the dirt over the paint if you're not very careful) than prevented by it -- indeed I've never heard of cleaning stopping it.

I have one car prepped with 'Supaguard' which cost plenty but seems to be effective. Any comments about those kind of systems?

Not that it matters that much, I tend to keep mine (with a recent exception Twisted Evil) until they are worthless.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleaning it properly goes without saying.
Its very trite, but worth saying, "if a jobs worth doing its worth doing right". and all that rubbish.

But leaving it dirty means anyone (or thing) that brushes against it drags the dirt down the side, the more dirt and grease and *CENSORED* you have, the bigger the lumps that can get stuck, and then, dragged down the side.

If no-one EVER brushes down the side of your car, you still have spots of tar, bird *CENSORED*, unburnt fuel and all the nasties that go along with that too. (Some of them will dissolve paint, eventually).

And most "premium" cars come treated with something from the factory.

Lexus, Merc, BMW, Volvo, Jag, LR and so on. they all offer some degree of protection.

Most of the aftermarket jobs are a con. Leave it a couple or three years (until the original coating has worn off) then get it profesionally valeted and refinished. Unless its a ten year old VW. Wink
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god that was dull, sorry.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After just racing 310 miles through the shytest roads in Ireland ain't no amount of baby wipes gonna make my bike sparkle again.
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a very muddy mission around Cwmcarn a few times a quick go on the hose then half a packet of baby wipes my Lapierre was as good as new.

They are wonderfulz
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just tried these pampers wipes (green pack) - they were alright, but I'm somewhat underwhelmed.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
I have just tried these pampers wipes (green pack) - they were alright, but I'm somewhat underwhelmed.
i know, i can think of at least a dozen things that would do a better job of cleaning a bike.
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
Tucker wrote:
i know, i can think of at least a dozen things that would do a better job of cleaning a bike.

List them big boy...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: