Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - removing rounded expander bolt

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

removing rounded expander bolt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: removing rounded expander bolt Reply with quote

Just been given quite a nice old skool frame to try and get back on the road

Can someone remind me the best way to get an expander bold with a rounded head out of an old ITM stem going into standard forks

I'd like the frame and forks to be intact after - so grinder is out! Not bothered about the stem
pete1001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drill the bolt out from the top, and put a new star nut/expander in when you rebuild it.
Billynobrakes
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1001 wrote:
Just drill the bolt out from the top, and put a new star nut/expander in when you rebuild it.

I'm guessing it's a quill stem?

If you drill out the bolt from the top the stem will seperate from the expander and you'll be able to remove both. It will however be a b1tch to drill the stainless steel!
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billynobrakes wrote:
pete1001 wrote:

If you drill out the bolt from the top the stem will seperate from the expander and you'll be able to remove both. It will however be a b1tch to drill the stainless steel!

thanks for that - I kmow this is dumb but if the bolt is drilled wont the expanded bolt in the forks still be 'expanded' and therefore difficult to get out
TBK
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

special guest star wrote:
Billynobrakes wrote:
pete1001 wrote:

thanks for that - I kmow this is dumb but if the bolt is drilled wont the expanded bolt in the forks still be 'expanded' and therefore difficult to get out

Not if you have drilled out the bolt head! Just knock down whats left of the bolt and the wedge or cone will drop down with it, thats if it hasn't already fallen away by itself.
pete1001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billynobrakes wrote:
pete1001 wrote:

If it is just a case of the bolt having rounded off then as soon as it's gone there nothing holding the expander in place. The cone might fall out of the bottom of the expander straight away, or you might have to give it a gentle tap with a mallet and a screw driver or something. Either way, once the bolt's gone it should come out no problem.
You may find that there's some corrosion inside the steerer tube/expander, though. A bolt shouldn't round off with the amount of torque you put through it to lighten a headset. My bet would be it's seized in there, and whoever you got the frame from rounded it trying to budge the bolt. That makes life a bit more difficult....
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bolt probably wont be stainless as this is not good material for bolts.

Drill through the bolt head with an 8mm drill and just tap the remainder of the bolt as you would if you had undone it.

It will come away no problem.

I have done this in the past.
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before attacking it with a drill, might be worth seeing if you can wedge/hammer a slightly oversized Torx bit in there and get enough purchase to loosen it that way.
Alternatively, if you're not bothered about saving the stem, just saw through the damn thing, bolt included, leaving enough showing so you can get it in a vice if necessary to persuade it to move.
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: removing rounded expander bolt Reply with quote

Just been given quite a nice old skool frame to try and get back on the road

Can someone remind me the best way to get an expander bold with a rounded head out of an old ITM stem going into standard forks

I'd like the frame and forks to be intact after - so grinder is out! Not bothered about the stem

could just cut through the stem?
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billynobrakes wrote:
It will however be a b1tch to drill the stainless steel!

Unless it's a Cinelli 1R of course.
"real class" - George Gilbert"
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did this ever come out?
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
did this ever come out?

What a 1R (aka Cinelli Record) or the bolt ?

"real class" - George Gilbert"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: