Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Fat burning heart rate zone

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Fat burning heart rate zone
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pheonix
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Fat burning heart rate zone Reply with quote

Hello,
I have just started riding a bike to try and lose a bit of weight and get some fitness back. I have also bought a Polar heart rate monitor. I have let the HRM calculate my HRMmax which correlates closely with HRMmax based on other various calculations. If I do a 2 hour ride in the fat burning zone I don't feel as though I am making any effort whatsoever. In fact I am just touching into the fat burning zone before I start riding, after putting on my shoes and helmet.
I can do the same 2 hour ride with an average heart rate of 83% of my max HR without feeling that I am over extending myself but feel as though I am getting more out of my bike ride.
After 2 weeks of this I have only lost 2 lbs. Should I just keep riding at this super slow effort to lose weight?
Thank you.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's bollocks. ride as hard as you can, you burn more calories, eat the same and the weight will fall off. don't try and loose more than 2 lbs a week though or you'll be loosing muscle apparently.

I reckon this fat burning zone stuff is just to make lard arses feel better about going slowly.
16mm
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is technically the hr zone where your body burns proportionally more fat, but as Martin says, there is much more to it.

Ideally ride as hard as you can, for the amount of time you have, so a 20 min blast is much more intense than a 2 hour session.
Have a easier ride every few sessions.

Or put more simply

+3.142 to martins post...
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fat burning heart rate zone Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:
Hello,
I have just started riding a bike to try and lose a bit of weight and get some fitness back. I have also bought a Polar heart rate monitor. I have let the HRM calculate my HRMmax which correlates closely with HRMmax based on other various calculations. If I do a 2 hour ride in the fat burning zone I don't feel as though I am making any effort whatsoever. In fact I am just touching into the fat burning zone before I start riding, after putting on my shoes and helmet.
I can do the same 2 hour ride with an average heart rate of 83% of my max HR without feeling that I am over extending myself but feel as though I am getting more out of my bike ride.
After 2 weeks of this I have only lost 2 lbs. Should I just keep riding at this super slow effort to lose weight?
Thank you.

Just a thought, but you may like to think about having a proper test to find your Max. HR. You could possibly be working with too low a value.
pheonix
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much.

I am sure my HRmax is correct to within a couple of beats. I am not sure if I should ride as hard as I can for 2 hours as I don't know if it might do me some harm to gradually developing some fitness. I am not sure if I want to get back home absolutely flaked out. If I ride too hard for 2 hours won't this burn/use more glyogen stores rather than fat?
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:
Thanks very much.

I am sure my HRmax is correct to within a couple of beats. I am not sure if I should ride as hard as I can for 2 hours as I don't know if it might do me some harm to gradually developing some fitness. I am not sure if I want to get back home absolutely flaked out. If I ride too hard for 2 hours won't this burn/use more glyogen stores rather than fat?

Yup. then your body replenishes those glycogen stores by metabolising fat - more fat than you would have burned going slowly.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:
Thanks very much.

If you ride easy for 2hrs you may burn 100 calories. If you ride hard for 2hrs you may burn 200 calories. Does it matter if it's fat or glycogen? You'll lose more weight with the second option. (assuming your eating remains constant)
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:
Thanks very much.

Gotta love the guys on here. They know nothing about you, age, gender or medical history but they tell you to ride eyeballs out Very Happy Shame on you Martin you should know better. Smile

Tucker define 'easy'.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
pheonix wrote:
Thanks very much.

Gotta love the guys on here. They know nothing about you, age, gender or medical history but they tell you to ride eyeballs out Very Happy Shame on you Martin you should know better. Smile

Tucker define 'easy'.

rubbish, it's good advice. if you want to loose weight, ride hard. if you read the quote above you will notice that this is someone who knows their max HR so isn't going to flake out when they try hard.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
KJ wrote:
pheonix wrote:
Thanks very much.

Tucker define 'easy'.

rubbish, it's good advice. if you want to loose weight, ride hard. if you read the quote above you will notice that this is someone who knows their max HR so isn't going to flake out when they try hard.

Would you give me the same advice?
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
martin smith wrote:
KJ wrote:
pheonix wrote:
Thanks very much.

Tucker define 'easy'.

Would you give me the same advice?

can you:

Quote:
do the same 2 hour ride with an average heart rate of 83% of my max HR without feeling that I am over extending myself

?
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:

I am sure my HRmax is correct to within a couple of beats.

Based on how you have calculated it why are you?
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
pheonix wrote:
Thanks very much.

Tucker define 'easy'.

Tucker hasn't posted on this thread.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
KJ wrote:
pheonix wrote:
Thanks very much.

Tucker define 'easy'.

Tucker hasn't posted on this thread.

Very Happy Indeed. Don't think Tucker has posted today at all. I missed him at breakfast. It's that avatar. I keep muddling you two up now.
pheonix
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.
I think I will ride harder than the fat burning zone, I will enjoy it more anyway. My HR goes well higher going up any sort of slope anyway and takes a long time to drop again, so it is almost impossibe to stay down in the fat burning zone unless I stop and walk for a bit.
Does this mean if I ride harder and use glycogen, I will in effect be losing weight after the bike ride as my fat replenishes the glycogen I have used?
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to do a bit of riding to let your body stabilise and get local muscular endurance first.

Then you can start thinking about losing weight.

Could be up to a month or so.

Good luck.
16mm
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
pheonix wrote:
Thanks very much.

Tucker define 'easy'.

I deliberately didn't specify how hard (% hrm max), to go for two hours. For a beginning cyclist ' as hard as you can' is not going to be anywhere near a threshold interval.
It's more likely to be as hard as you can be Evil or Very Mad to go, and when it gets unpleasant, you slow down a bit . Or you may be limited by other factors like comfort on the bike.
The advice remains, if you go as hard as you can*, you'll more more energy. Assuming you don't eat the Fridge after every ride you'll lose body fat and change shape. You may also lose mass, but that depends.

You also mention you enjoy riding harder than the fat burning zone. Enjoying exercise is what will improve you body composition and shape in the long term.

2 weeks isn't long. Enjoy cycling, ride hard and you'll get there.

After a fat burning ride you will stop burnign fat soon after you stop riding.
After a harder session you body will need to replenish glycogen 7 repair and rebuild muscle, and this energy will be in addition to that you burnt during the ride.

Last edited by 16mm on Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd throw the HRM into the bin meself, just ride to feel and don't be a slave.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
pheonix
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16mm wrote:
It is technically the hr zone where your body burns proportionally more fat, but as Martin says, there is much more to it.

Ideally ride as hard as you can, for the amount of time you have, so a 20 min blast is much more intense than a 2 hour session.

Or put more simply

Does that mean I could lose the same amount of weight if I ride really hard for 20 minutes as I might if I ride easier for 2 hours?
16mm
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pheonix wrote:
16mm wrote:

Or put more simply

Does that mean I could lose the same amount of weight if I ride really hard for 20 minutes as I might if I ride easier for 2 hours?

2h vs 20mins Depends on the intensity. But it's certainly possible. The 20 mins might not be much fun at the time, but can be addictive.

You'll lose most weight by doing an exercise you enjoy, regularly and often, and basically by becoming a cyclist as part of what you do, rather than as a tool for weight control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: