Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Race TEAM TACTICS question

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Race TEAM TACTICS question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What to do
f**k im
16%
 16%  [ 6 ]
Wait
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
sacrifice wheel
77%
 77%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 36

Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Race TEAM TACTICS question Reply with quote

Let us suppose that you are a useless chipper. Further suppose that you are riding a 3 day stage race, and due to a puncture on the previous stage and an embarrassing prologue you are not even kind of in contention for anything. The rest of your team of chippers have been dropped, save one. You are halfway around the queen stage, which is hilly, and your legs are sending you clear and actionable intelligence that the rest of your day will involve hanging on for grim death and, at best, scraping 15th. Your teammate and occasional bumfun partner is ONE point away from the green jersey and PUNCTURES at the top of the hill. Neutral service not in sight. Do you:

1. Say "f**k 'im, and attempt to nail that 15th?
2. Wait for him, then work with him to get the bunch back (which could be a minute up the road by the time you get going)
3. Offer up your wheel and give him a push?

DIYCBA
Jimmy c
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple , give him your wheel and then stand at the side of the road screaming and gesticulating as to where the neutral service is, when it finally arrives change the wheel and soft tap round the course and then when you finally make it to the finish nonchalantly chuck your bike and claim that if it wasnt for the slow neutral service then you could have easily caught back up instigated a breakaway and infact made up enough time to win the race.

everyones a winner...
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy c wrote:
simple , give him your wheel and then stand at the side of the road screaming and gesticulating as to where the neutral service is, when it finally arrives change the wheel and soft tap round the course and then when you finally make it to the finish nonchalantly chuck your bike and claim that if it wasnt for the slow neutral service then you could have easily caught back up instigated a breakaway and infact made up enough time to win the race.

everyones a winner...

HILL - see this! I f**king told you so.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an amateur sport so do what you feel is appropriate for you.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:

I did, I'm just canvassing opinion. Hill thinks I should have gone for option 1. Perhaps this is why he rides for a team with no other riders.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
mho wrote:

I did, I'm just canvassing opinion. Hill thinks I should have gone for option 1. Perhaps this is why he rides for a team with no other riders.
but he's entitled to do what is best for him. So neither of you are wrong.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
Tucker wrote:
mho wrote:

Its not a question of right or wrong, it's a question of maximising the GLORY of Team VR.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
mho wrote:
Tucker wrote:
mho wrote:

Its not a question of right or wrong, it's a question of maximising the GLORY of Team VR.

Which Hill did by finishing top VR.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read the Team VR constitution:

Team VR cares not for "finishing or not finishing". Team VR cares only for "avit or die trying".
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the love of Mary. Neutral service - as I saw it - at ToD was pretty hot.

Some people thought otherwise but I reckoned the bloke doing it was spot on and making good of a difficult job in shocking conditions. I saw an efficient, fast service and someone who understood bike riders and how they need to 'get back on'.

Davey - who was ON FIRE (as I saw it) at the ToD and would have EASILY got a new wheel and got back to the bunch given a) The neutral service. b) His fantastic and unfair form/genetic advantage. Wink

This would have then left two Team VR boys in the race (in theory as we ARE splitting hairs here).

It is now woefully apparent that Paul Tucker doesn't give himself enough justice in terms of what he could do if he was somewhat more shrewd with his form rather than mincing around all the time.

The first road stage and he punctures. This is normal racing form when he and I enter a race together. Either I puncture or he punctures. It was now his turn. He uses the Neutral service to get a new wheel and just about gets back on before a large crash causes him some more grief in which he throws the towel in. Rob (also of Team VR) was also caught behind said crash and managed to get back on. Surely Tucker could have sat on Robs wheel and sucked like a hard boiled sweet?

Finally - I may be in the Team of ONE but WHAT a TEAM!! LOL Smile
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
For the love of Mary. Neutral service - as I saw it - at ToD was pretty hot.

Some people thought otherwise but I reckoned the bloke doing it was spot on and making good of a difficult job in shocking conditions. I saw an efficient, fast service and someone who understood bike riders and how they need to 'get back on'.

Davey - who was ON FIRE (as I saw it) at the ToD and would have EASILY got a new wheel and got back to the bunch given a) The neutral service. b) His fantastic and unfair form/genetic advantage. Wink

This would have then left two Team VR boys in the race (in theory as we ARE splitting hairs here).

It is now woefully apparent that Paul Tucker doesn't give himself enough justice in terms of what he could do if he was somewhat more shrewd with his form rather than mincing around all the time.

The first road stage and he punctures. This is normal racing form when he and I enter a race together. Either I puncture or he punctures. It was now his turn. He uses the Neutral service to get a new wheel and just about gets back on before a large crash causes him some more grief in which he throws the towel in. Rob (also of Team VR) was also caught behind said crash and managed to get back on. Surely Tucker could have sat on Robs wheel and sucked like a hard boiled sweet?

Finally - I may be in the Team of ONE but WHAT a TEAM!! LOL Smile

When one is in the leading group in a second cat race, which is lined out up a 2 mile long hill, one doesn't always have the time to weigh all the pros and cons. Maybe next year you'll get to experience this Surprised
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Maybe next year you'll get to experience this Surprised

<sigh>
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say it again: INSPIRATIONAL
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
Tucker wrote:

<sigh>
No one tells Cav he has to win a mountain stage or be in the lead group in a mountain stage to be a 'good rider'.
Des

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
Rich Hill wrote:
Tucker wrote:

<sigh>
No one tells Cav he has to win a mountain stage or be in the lead group in a mountain stage to be a 'good rider'.

It was the Tour of Dorset, one stage with a bump they go over 6 or 7 times, rest of the race is pretty flat. Rolling Eyes
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
They do, don't you read the papers, or the internet? Laughing
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker it was the right thing to do and very much appreciated. Don't listen to mho, he considers 'finishing a race' a result in itself.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
mho wrote:
Rich Hill wrote:
Tucker wrote:

<sigh>

It was the Tour of Dorset, one stage with a bump they go over 6 or 7 times, rest of the race is pretty flat. Rolling Eyes

Laughing
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:

Waste of tuckers talent. We disagree- big deal.

(I think I just coined a phrase...)
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
Rob of the Og wrote:

Waste of tuckers talent. We disagree- big deal.

(I think I just coined a phrase...)

No, the waste of his talent was walking round the prologue plus the bad luck he had on Saturday afternoon. Without that stuff and if Davey hadn't been probably the best sprinter in the race then I'd agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: