Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Helmet Poll

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Helmet Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think its necessary to wear a helmet (on your head)
yes
41%
 41%  [ 40 ]
no
58%
 58%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 97

mig
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

960 lumens for me through a narrow pig track of a road under cover of large trees. seems okay to me

Very Happy
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
Mattr talking bollocks. too much light at 480 lumens? you're having a laugh. sunlight is about 32,000–130,000 lumens per square metre.

I can confidently say i can see better with my hope 4 set on full power (980 lumens) than i can whith it set on half power. and even that with it's entire beam concentrated on one square metre is still between 0.75% to 3% as bright as direct sunlight.
*shakes head* *gives up*
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
martin smith wrote:
Mattr talking bollocks. too much light at 480 lumens? you're having a laugh. sunlight is about 32,000–130,000 lumens per square metre.

I can confidently say i can see better with my hope 4 set on full power (980 lumens) than i can whith it set on half power. and even that with it's entire beam concentrated on one square metre is still between 0.75% to 3% as bright as direct sunlight.
*shakes head* *gives up*

Don't give up, this is a good spectator sport.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
martin smith wrote:

*shakes head* *gives up*

Probably for the best. now don't forget to tell those rally drivers that they'll be able to see worse with all those silly lights on the front of their cars because the shadows will look like they are in the wrong direction.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Not really. We should discuss the benefits of helmets instead. Seeing as martin appears to neither drive or ride on anything except glassy smooth roads and trails.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Not really. We should discuss the benefits of helmets instead. Seeing as martin appears to neither drive or ride on anything except glassy smooth roads and trails.

like these guys?

mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
like these guys?
erm, yes actually. Most night stages are on gravel roads or tarmac. But anyway, you carry on.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
like these guys?
erm, yes actually. Most night stages are on gravel roads or tarmac. But anyway, you carry on.

Ah, right. and i suppose that if they do a night stage that's not on gravel or tarmac they take all those silly bright lights off do they?
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
like these guys?

Ah, right. and i suppose that if they do a night stage that's not on gravel or tarmac they take all those silly bright lights off do they?

Can I just ask at what point do your eyes start using their low light sensors as this may have a bearing on the amount of light you need. Also I have heard that your peripheral vision in low light is better than looking straight on so should I ride in the dark with my head at a jaunty angle whils looking out of the side of my eyes for greater safety? Finally, as your eyes adjust anyhow to light levels is it safe for everything outside the beam to be in total darkness, surely you are likely to be decapitated by a low hanging branch or something aka Steve McQueen?
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
Can I just ask at what point do your eyes start using their low light sensors as this may have a bearing on the amount of light you need. Also I have heard that your peripheral vision in low light is better than looking straight on so should I ride in the dark with my head at a jaunty angle whils looking out of the side of my eyes for greater safety? Finally, as your eyes adjust anyhow to light levels is it safe for everything outside the beam to be in total darkness, surely you are likely to be decapitated by a low hanging branch or something aka Steve McQueen?

quick answer - no. at the light levels you use for riding at night even with crap lights your cones and rods will both be functioning just fine so it's not an issue. more light = better, obviously depending on beam spread and diminishing returns. hope 4s put out a lot more light than a hope 1 (4 times as much, obviously) but the central spot isn't that different as most of the extra light goes out to the edge. once you get past the point where you eye just turns down the light levels you won't see any better for more light but bike lights aren't anywhere near that point yet.
Wozza
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
There should be a compulsory 6 month ban for use of the H-word on here...

Amen brother McGinty Wink Laughing
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
like these guys?

Stop poking the mentals Martin

I'm a qualified coach.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Stop poking the mentals Martin
Coming from you Timothy, thats rare praise....... Rolling Eyes
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
JONNO wrote:

quick answer - no. at the light levels you use for riding at night even with crap lights your cones and rods will both be functioning just fine so it's not an issue. more light = better, obviously depending on beam spread and diminishing returns. hope 4s put out a lot more light than a hope 1 (4 times as much, obviously) but the central spot isn't that different as most of the extra light goes out to the edge. once you get past the point where you eye just turns down the light levels you won't see any better for more light but bike lights aren't anywhere near that point yet.

Ta. My Blackburn's fine at the speed I ride home at!
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Road & General Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: