Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Tendonitis

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Tendonitis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ali_clay
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Tendonitis Reply with quote

Gently ride through or completely stop altogether?
First came Monday - rest day, then Tuesday - training, then Wednesday - recovery ride, then Thursday - training race, then Friday - track or recovery ride, Saturday - mystery tour with cafe stop, Sunday - is meant for racing!
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the diagnosis then?
ali_clay
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read lots and it all fits. The tendons damaged from my injury would be more suceptable. Think it flared up over-doing it after a lay-off. Managed to locate the sore tendon so massaging regular to encourage blood flow with gentle riding feels better this morning but will lay off the turbo until next week.
First came Monday - rest day, then Tuesday - training, then Wednesday - recovery ride, then Thursday - training race, then Friday - track or recovery ride, Saturday - mystery tour with cafe stop, Sunday - is meant for racing!
16mm
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quickly recovered from achilese tendonitis after doing some alternate hot / cold treatment each evening to stimulate blood flow. (using bowls of hot and ice cold water)
Acupuncture would also stimulate blood flow. I've had it on IT Bands, but not tendons, but many sports physios would be able to use it.
16mm
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali_clay wrote:
Read lots and it all fits. The tendons damaged from my injury would be more suceptable. Think it flared up over-doing it after a lay-off. Managed to locate the sore tendon so massaging regular to encourage blood flow with gentle riding feels better this morning but will lay off the turbo until next week.

I find the turbo is worse than the road for aggrivating injuries that I thought were long gone. Often on the turbo there is no let up so I try not to grind out an hour, and have lots of break.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried a holistic wristband?

I'm a qualified coach.
ali_clay
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you tried a holistic wristband?[/list]

Where do they go, what do they do and how do they work?
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali_clay wrote:
Quote:

Round your wrist.
Make gullible people poorer.
They don't.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
ali_clay wrote:
Quote:

Round your wrist.
They don't.

Team Sky used them. Worrying eh?
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
mattr wrote:
ali_clay wrote:
Quote:

Round your wrist.
They don't.

Team Sky used them. Worrying eh?
carrying that 15 grammes of junk round the entire time probably cost them 10 places. Marginal gains and all that....
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali_clay wrote:

Dispersal/realignment of scar tissue?
Actual cause ? High heel tabs, tight over-shoes, inversion/eversion, imbalance issues further up leg?
Re-hab eccentric loading?
Anti-inflammatory modalities?
I could go on.
The point I'm trying to make is see a professional therapist. You could get it right but may also get it terribly wrong. Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjdjustride wrote:
Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

...but the VR Saloon would be empty if we let that bother us...
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
cjdjustride wrote:
Sometimes a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

...but the VR Saloon would be empty if we let that bother us...

Good point well made!
ali_clay
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It started getting better and then got worse again didn't do anything different. I'll wait till the end of the week then make an appoinment with a sports injury *CENSORED*. Problem is time and cost.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is tendonitis, then you need to isolate the cause, remove cause and wait.

Personally speaking, from experience a damaged tendon will take anything up to 6 weeks to fully recover once the cause has been removed.

Also from both my experience and that of others, trying to cut corners rarely works, so I am one for resting until its properly better. Most people who have tried otherwise would with hindsight have taken a six week break from training at the start rather than trying all sorts of things in the mean time.

That said, if you isolate a problem, you can be training in a couple of days gently. An example I had was tendonitis in left achilles... cause was a mxture of scar tissue froma previous injury adn a zip on a certain pair of tights. I tried everything to fix that niggling discomfort, but what worked was to stop wearing the tights... instant fix.

Likewise, (again achilles tendonitis), the problem was isolated as being a pair of shoes I was wearing at work. That inflamed the tendon sheath, adn the riding irritated it.

So in summary, make sure you know what has caused the problem, deal with it and take a cautionary view point on rehabilitation.

Finally, with regards to ice, compression, massage, I find the most effective way to relieve tendon inflammation is to leave it the feck alone and rest it.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:

Personally speaking, from experience a damaged tendon will take anything up to 6 weeks to fully recover once the cause has been removed.

Also from both my experience and that of others, trying to cut corners rarely works, so I am one for resting until its properly better. Most people who have tried otherwise would with hindsight have taken a six week break from training at the start rather than trying all sorts of things in the mean time.

That said, if you isolate a problem, you can be training in a couple of days gently. An example I had was tendonitis in left achilles... cause was a mxture of scar tissue froma previous injury adn a zip on a certain pair of tights. I tried everything to fix that niggling discomfort, but what worked was to stop wearing the tights... instant fix.

Likewise, (again achilles tendonitis), the problem was isolated as being a pair of shoes I was wearing at work. That inflamed the tendon sheath, adn the riding irritated it.

So in summary, make sure you know what has caused the problem, deal with it and take a cautionary view point on rehabilitation.

Finally, with regards to ice, compression, massage, I find the most effective way to relieve tendon inflammation is to leave it the feck alone and rest it.

Wise Words. Smile
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
JimmyRay wrote:

Wise Words. Smile

Well it was going OK until the last paragraph. That certainly is NOT the most effective course of action. If you leave it untreated for the 6 weeks you're very likely to get the problem refered to in bold italic above and you'll also be suffering more discomfort than necessary. The cost of a session with a therapist can be less than that of a good tyre and will likely improve your performance more!
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristband. A holistic one.

I'm a qualified coach.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you miss read what I am saying... I am all for spending money on teh cause adn effective treatment, and in fact i woudl say it is crucial, but as for the difference massage, hot and cold treatments and everythign else goes... I am yet to see any positive outcome.

In my mind, key treatment is to understand adn deal with the cause, and then let nature take its own course to fix it.

Maybe there are effective treatments, but the way I see it, the more you think about it, the more you fiddle with it, the more you are likely to irritate the poor thing.

As mentioned, my experience is let it rest and you'll be amazed at the effectiveness and cost savings possible.... however the key point to stress again, is that you have to find the cause first.

And in that 'over doing it' is not a valid cause.... 'overdoing it' should be the reason a weakness, imbalance, problem has presented itself.
Again taking myself as an example...used to ave achiles problems, with good wedging of shoes and orthotic insoles my problems are sorted.
ChrisM
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the risk of offering useful advice, the following link is quite a good resource for achilles tendonitis

http://tinyurl.com/25m3m2j
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: