Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Tendonitis

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Tendonitis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmyRay wrote:
I think you miss read what I am saying...

"Finally, with regards to ice, compression, massage, I find the most effective way to relieve tendon inflammation is to leave it the feck alone and rest it".

Did I misread the above quote ?
What I'm saying is that a wealth of research and empirical evidence shows that rest is good, yes, but on its own it is not the most effective means of dealing with any tendonitis.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I getcha..

You are of course right, however you are right on the assumption that you are using a good therapist, and following therapists teatment to the letter.

My experience suggests that the vast majority of therapists are dog poo, and that people when focusing attention and treatment on a problem end up pushing it too hard and have poor results.

I am not sure anyone would advocate treating tendonitis with the purchase of a new tyre however, but as mentioned, surely the right course of action would be to purchase a wrist band... holistic.

I can categorically say that since wearing one, I have had no issues with tendonitis... Awesome.

Neck pain however...
cjdjustride
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="JimmyRay"]Ok... I getcha..

You are of course right, however you are right on the assumption that you are using a good therapist, and following therapists teatment to the letter.

My experience suggests that the vast majority of therapists are dog poo, and that people when focusing attention and treatment on a problem end up pushing it too hard and have poor results.

quote]

I'm not sure that the vast majority of therapists are as you describe! But you're absolutely right that getting a competent therapist (of any qualification or persuasion of therapy) who is genuinely interested in your particular problem is not always easy. But when you do find one the benefits are well worth the search. Some fairly basic indicators that you've found a good therapist would include:
Good and thorough assessment of the current problem through questions and appropriate tests. For example, be suspicious if you had a non trauma knee injury and the therapist was solely interested in the condition of your knee giving no attention to your posture, muscle balance etc.
Explanation of perceived problem, explanation of probable cause and run through and explanation of planned treatment.
Questioning regarding previous issues and treatments.
Continuing assessments/testing on subsequent visits during that course of treatment.
Advice on your role in assisting recovery (things to do and things to avoid).
Advice and possibly practical demonstration of re-hab work.This can be the telling point. It's one thing being able to perform a bit of massage and quote a few muscle names but a sound knowledge of physiology and re-hab modalities can be the difference between a temporary recovery and a complete recovery having minimised the possibility of recurrence.
And, as I've said before on this forum, Sports Massage therapy, whilst being useful and valid in the right circumstances, is not the same as Sports Injury therapy.
ali_clay
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big ring last night - things are looking up (at least for now).

What, if any, are the signs of a healed tendon? Don't want to push it to hard to soon.
First came Monday - rest day, then Tuesday - training, then Wednesday - recovery ride, then Thursday - training race, then Friday - track or recovery ride, Saturday - mystery tour with cafe stop, Sunday - is meant for racing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: