Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Asthma

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Asthma
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Asthma Reply with quote

Anyone else got it?

Mine seems to have returned having been free of it for about 4 to 5 years.

Using inhaler again now(almost daily) and it(the asthma)has stopped me from training tonight.

Frustrating as some days are worse than others.

Using Cetirizine anti-histamine to block immune response aswell.

Sad
Ed2001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it has come back after that many years perhaps you should look at any recent changes to d1et ,environment etc.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed2001 wrote:
If it has come back after that many years perhaps you should look at any recent changes to d1et ,environment etc.

Can't think of anything other than the cold weather.
pete1001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it, not what a doctor would call severe but bad enough to make training in cold air very difficult.
Olbas oil etc on your chest and jersey helps me to some extent but I still have to use the ster-roid inhalers regularly if I want to do any aerobic exercise. It's definitely the cold air that sets mine off, as it's generally fine on the turbo/rollers.
If you do ride outside a very gradual warm up helps a lot, if I try and ride straight from the door with any effort I just cough and wheeze.
Suck's doesn't it Crying or Very sad
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

Why don't you blame the coalition government?

I'm a qualified coach.
Ed2001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

Maybe that's it I think you can get something called exercise induced asthma which can be brought on by exercising in cold weather.
SteveO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Vinokourov ride for them?
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed2001 wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

Maybe that's it I think you can get something called exercise induced asthma which can be brought on by exercising in cold weather.

When i first had it about 10 years ago the doctor said it was "maturity induced asthma" Very Happy
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed2001 wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

Indeed you can. Horrible it is too. As Pete says, gentle warmup helps, as does breathing through a scarf/mask to keep the air warm, but I still find I simply can't go hard in the cold or my lungs shut down completely - no cyclo cross for me...
Never found normal inhalers to work, but a Formoterol/Foradil powder inhaler helps a lot doesn't actually stop it but more importantly reduces the severity of the symptoms and how long they last. It's firmly on the IOC banned list though so you'll need a TUE.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
When i first had it about 10 years ago the doctor said it was "maturity induced asthma" Very Happy
Aged 10, I was told i was merely "chronically unfit" and needed to get out and exercise more.

When i went back 15 years later i was told that um, actually, yes, i did have asthma. And probably should have had an inhaler in case i'd dropped dead at some point in the last 15 years. Most of it was spent trying to get fit.
Hibbs
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

Have you tried going gluten-free? I noticed a big difference when I gave it up, and when I ate bread, pasta etc again over Christmas my breathing became much more restricted again.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SavsJYXWgm8&feature=related
Chatterbox
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed2001 wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

I went to the doctors because I got a tight chest and couldn't take deep breaths after being out on my bike.

I got told it was exercise induced breathlessness. Which does just sound like anything anyone gets after exercise. I got given an inhaler which I never used and just sat there and went out of date.

Mine isn't brought on by the cold though I get it all year round. It usually depends on how windy it is, I think!
EllieBoots
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hibbs wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

Have you tried going gluten-free? I noticed a big difference when I gave it up, and when I ate bread, pasta etc again over Christmas my breathing became much more restricted again.

Cutting out dairy (which I had to do for other reasons) made a massive difference to my asthma (which used to be fairly severe) as it cuts down enormously on mucus production (rank). I'd agree re checking changes to d i e t and environment. Re environment - mould spores can be a real problem for asthma and breathing in general - not suggesting you have a mouldy house but check that winter hasn't increased damp/mould growth where you don't expect it.
Ed2001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EllieBoots wrote:
Hibbs wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

Cutting out dairy (which I had to do for other reasons) made a massive difference to my asthma (which used to be fairly severe) as it cuts down enormously on mucus production (rank). I'd agree re checking changes to d i e t and environment. Re environment - mould spores can be a real problem for asthma and breathing in general - not suggesting you have a mouldy house but check that winter hasn't increased damp/mould growth where you don't expect it.

I always thought that but apparently it is a myth. That is not to say that food allergies/intolerance can't effect asthma just that dairy products don't increase mucus production in the body.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed2001 wrote:
EllieBoots wrote:
Hibbs wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

I always thought that but apparently it is a myth. That is not to say that food allergies/intolerance can't effect asthma just that dairy products don't increase mucus production in the body.

Does that include folk who have a lactose intolerance?
Ed2001
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:
EllieBoots wrote:
Hibbs wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

I think that is different to excess mucus production.
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/24/suppl_6/547S
As I said like Ellie I always believed this to be true but apparently it isn't.
EllieBoots
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed2001 wrote:
KJ wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:
EllieBoots wrote:
Hibbs wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

I think that is different to excess mucus production.
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/24/suppl_6/547S
As I said like Ellie I always believed this to be true but apparently it isn't.

My mistake then Smile That's interesting though as cutting the dairy out definitely reduced my snot levels as well as helping my asthma. If I ever slip up and have a cup of milky tea, a bit of cheese or some yog I get really itchy ears canals and throat, cloggy sinuses and a definite increased mucus level in the back of my throat. It's really noticeable, even one small pot of yoghurt will bring that on. I wonder why that is?
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EllieBoots wrote:
Hibbs wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Ed2001 wrote:

It isn't this,could be some allergy though that's come on all of a sudden.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chatterbox wrote:
I got told it was exercise induced breathlessness.
That well known medical condition. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: