Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Geraint Thomas

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Geraint Thomas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Geraint Thomas Reply with quote

Of course stopped and waited for Wiggins yesterday.

But should he have done? Should a jersey wearer wait, or should the team have previously decided that in the event of any problem he would not wait? After all, he could've dropped back had he been needed.

I think Sky dropped a big cobbler there.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Geraint Thomas Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Of course stopped and waited for Wiggins yesterday.

But should he have done? Should a jersey wearer wait, or should the team have previously decided that in the event of any problem he would not wait? After all, he could've dropped back had he been needed.

I think Sky dropped a big cobbler there.

Not just me then?
Pantani
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did seem an odd decision. Would have made more sense if they knew Wiggins was ok and chasing but they didnt and yet they allowed Thomas to wait.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pantani wrote:
...they allowed Thomas to wait.
My guess is that the issue had not been covered in team briefings and that Thomas decided to wait. No criticism of him, but of the team's planning.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they got it right but unfortunately it just did not work out. Last forty kilometres of the race. The team captain goes down and your whole tour is built on him. Getting on in the last twenty five miles is going to be amazingly difficult and you don't want to lose anything at all so you have your strongest men waiting. Had Bradley got back on his bike then G might have made all the difference in getting him back to the bunch. You could not have counted on the climbers to drag him back on so it needed G and others.

Just one of those things and of course with the benefit of hindsight none of them would have waited.

Sad for G though and I am very impressed how calm he was about it all. I really hope he wins a stage in compensation and he can do it.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have had a day or 2 longer in the white jersey, maybe. Main job was to look after Wiggins.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
Would have had a day or 2 longer in the white jersey, maybe.
Or perhaps longer, let's see.
Quote:
Main job was to look after Wiggins.
Of course. The point I'm attempting to make is that waiting wasn't necessary; he could've dropped back from the front group if needed. The course of action taken removed that choice.

Pantani
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
The point I'm attempting to make is that waiting wasn't necessary; he could've dropped back from the front group if needed. The course of action taken removed that choice.

That's the way I see it too. They have radios still at moment after all.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
I think they got it right but unfortunately it just did not work out. Last forty kilometres of the race. The team captain goes down and your whole tour is built on him. Getting on in the last twenty five miles is going to be amazingly difficult and you don't want to lose anything at all so you have your strongest men waiting. Had Bradley got back on his bike then G might have made all the difference in getting him back to the bunch. You could not have counted on the climbers to drag him back on so it needed G and others.

Just one of those things and of course with the benefit of hindsight none of them would have waited.

Sad for G though and I am very impressed how calm he was about it all. I really hope he wins a stage in compensation and he can do it.

+1
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pantani wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
The point I'm attempting to make is that waiting wasn't necessary; he could've dropped back from the front group if needed. The course of action taken removed that choice.

Yeah I was disappointed that he had to lose the jersey but it was the correct thing to do at the time, it was mayhem. I'm sure he would do the same again.
sloathe
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
Pantani wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:

Yeah I was disappointed that he had to lose the jersey but it was the correct thing to do at the time, it was mayhem. I'm sure he would do the same again.

He didn't have to though. Wiggins was the strongest rider there and would have dropped most of the team mates that stopped with him in a few hundred metres.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloathe wrote:
DenHaag wrote:
Pantani wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:

He didn't have to though. Wiggins was the strongest rider there and would have dropped most of the team mates that stopped with him in a few hundred metres.

Laughing Yeah course he would.

Not sure what the big deal is myself.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
sloathe
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
sloathe wrote:
DenHaag wrote:
Pantani wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:

Laughing Yeah course he would.

Not sure what the big deal is myself.

So why did you bother posting, or have you not the hang of this discussion thing Laughing
maryhinge
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now only 8 seconds down on young rider and leading Sky rider overall!
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maryhinge wrote:
Now only 8 seconds down on young rider and leading Sky rider overall!

8 seconds on the day.
maryhinge
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the correction, been a long day, was looking at the wrong list, but he is only 1m 50sec down overall for the young rider. (I was 50% right Wink )
Zipppy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still not over for him yet, Ive got a feeling that the freedom he now has will allow him to relax and possibly go for a decent GC position.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:

I thought G should have kept riding. They could always call him back if required and Brad had remounted. He would only have been a few metres up the road.
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:
De Rosa wrote:

I thought G should have kept riding. They could always call him back if required and Brad had remounted. He would only have been a few metres up the road.

Then we could have a thread about how selfish he was. Wink
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
Megman wrote:
De Rosa wrote:

Then we could have a thread about how selfish he was. Wink
Nope. Team orders: 'If you're in a jersey, defend your chance'.

That he waited was commendable and unselfish; if he'd carried on without team orders it would have been sensible; if he'd then refused to wait for a remounted, uninjured Wiggins -- only then would there have been an issue.

But perhaps the Wink means you are being sarcastic...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: