Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Intermediate sprints in the mountains

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Intermediate sprints in the mountains

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taffyboiy
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Intermediate sprints in the mountains Reply with quote

Given that none of the main green jersey contenders will be anywhere near the front at the end of mountain stages, can we expect to see them in breaks and hoovering up points in the intermediate ones, before being caught later on and finishing at the back.

Much as I'd like to see Gilbert, Rojas and Cav set off on a break, can anyone who knows better than me point out why that wouldn't be a good strategy? Or confirm that it would? Very Happy
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermediate sprints in the mountains Reply with quote

taffyboiy wrote:
Given that none of the main green jersey contenders will be anywhere near the front at the end of mountain stages, can we expect to see them in breaks and hoovering up points in the intermediate ones, before being caught later on and finishing at the back.

Much as I'd like to see Gilbert, Rojas and Cav set off on a break, can anyone who knows better than me point out why that wouldn't be a good strategy? Or confirm that it would? Very Happy

I might be wrong but I don't think they're having them on proper mountain stages this year.

Last edited by DenHaag on Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Hushovd ride off the front in the mountains a few years back to hoover up some points versus Cav?
highlandpro
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
Didn't Hushovd ride off the front in the mountains a few years back to hoover up some points versus Cav?

Yes he didy Guy .

www.wheelsmith.co.uk
www.metaltek.co.uk
www.nottinghamforest.co.uk
www.meltonolympic.co.uk
taffyboiy
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember him doing that - mainly to make a point because Cav had moaned about Hushovd getting him disqualified or something - but it was thought to be highly unusual.

There weren't many points available in the intermediate sprints back then, but we're seeing the sprinters charging for the minor-placings points in the middle of flat stages this year, so I just thought that they might as well maximise that by getting in the break. It's not as if they'll be wrecking their chances of the stage win...
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermediate sprints in the mountains Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
taffyboiy wrote:

I might be wrong but I don't think they're having them on proper mountain stages this year.

I was wrong. They all have a sprint. Mostly before the first big climb, so earlier in the stage. Wish I was off work tomorrow. Sad
taffyboiy
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there we have it. If I was Rojas, I'd be trying to get the Green jersey by motoring off in the break, winning the intermediate sprint (20 points or so?), then backing off till the peloton arrived, and cruising round the end of the stage with them, safe in the knowledge that none of the other green jersey contenders would pick up anything at the end...

I guess the question really should be - is it worth trying that, knowing that your rivals' teams will try and haul the break in before the intermediate sprint?
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taffyboiy wrote:
So there we have it. If I was Rojas, I'd be trying to get the Green jersey by motoring off in the break, winning the intermediate sprint (20 points or so?), then backing off till the peloton arrived, and cruising round the end of the stage with them, safe in the knowledge that none of the other green jersey contenders would pick up anything at the end...

I guess the question really should be - is it worth trying that, knowing that your rivals' teams will try and haul the break in before the intermediate sprint?

These stages can be mental at the start. Can't see anyone dangerous being allowed to get away, same as GC? Will be interesting to see if any break can/allowed to get away if it's an early sprint. My guess is that it won't be too different.

Eurosport coverage starts at 11:00 am tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: