Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - A Very Sensible Proposal

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

A Very Sensible Proposal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour
View previous topic :: View next topic  
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: A Very Sensible Proposal Reply with quote

Why didn't anyone think of this before? It is such a sensible suggestion I am surprised it has taken this long!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2014-tour-de-france-could-start-in-qatar
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

ASO:- "Well, yeah, we could do it, but its going to cost ten million euros, plus expenses"
Qatari Royal bloke:- "Oh, is that all, <digs round back of sofa> there you go, have 20, i haven't got anything smaller"
ASO:- [thinks] f**k, should have asked for 100 [/thinks]

Sounds eminently sensible to me. And its "only" a 6 hour flight, they've had longer road transfers/traffic jams this year, and a country like Qatar won't bat a single miniscule eyelid if ASO ask for half a dozen Jumbos just to fly the entire TDF circus from Doha to some/any French city. COuld potentially put the ASO onto extremely good financial footings for a while. Might also give the tour of Qatar a boost too, bigger budget, bigger names, longer race etc.

Christ, they even talked about a NY start, flying back by Concorde.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Qatar one of the ME countries with a few political issues at the moment. Might make it a bit interesting.
Oldmanof
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ASO is reported to have received interest to host a Grand Départ from Venice, Florence, Barcelona, Berlin, Scotland and Yorkshire.

No contest. A balmy night in Glasgow, temp 10c, light breeze whipping up white horses on the Clyde, the smell of the deep fried Mars bars drifting across George Sq as Dave B negotiates with some locals for the return of his bikes. Ryanair flights from Glasgow (Prestwick) to Paris (Beauvais), (extra £30 per bike)

As I said, no contest. Very Happy
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Oldmanof"]ASO is reported to have received interest to host a Grand Départ from Yorkshire.

The Tour Dee by gum France?

I'm a qualified coach.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:
Isn't Qatar one of the ME countries with a few political issues at the moment. Might make it a bit interesting.

Not really

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: