Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - White Van Drivers

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

White Van Drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: White Van Drivers Reply with quote

I got cut up by three today on the way into work.

Managed to let the 1st fella know what he had done and I got two fingers (what else would I expect)
The third van had blue lights on the top and lump stripes and was full of police.

Yeah I stopped him and told him off.

I told him what hope did we have if the Police were trying to drive us off the roads as well. I think I embarassed him in front of his collegues.

Oh well I was right and he did cause me to swerve about a metre and slam my brakes on so i didnt hit a parked car I was over taking.

If that hadn't been a police van I think I wouldn't have had such a polite chat.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: White Van Drivers Reply with quote

Voodoo wrote:
Oh well I was right and he did cause me to swerve about a metre and slam my brakes on so i didnt hit a parked car I was over taking.
Was he overtaking you or coming head on? Had you signalled your intention to move out to overtake?

One obviously doesn't need to signal to pull out past a stationary obstacle; but I have found that drivers are so brain dead that they don't see me and try to overtake as if the obstacle isn't there -- unless I stick my hand out before moving out. Then, almost all the time, they won't just cut me up.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was already overtaking having already over taken two or three cars

he'd been behind me for about 200m
Pippa
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first taste of London traffic yesterday after a few weeks away north. You can forget how bad it can be when you have had the roads almost to yourself for any length of time. I sometimes reckon I'm hardened to it but after losing my mate Mike Fletcher tail end of last year to a RTA it now scares the bejesus out of me.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voodoo wrote:
I was already overtaking having already over taken two or three cars

he'd been behind me for about 200m
OK so he really was a f*kwit. Sorry to hear about any incident of this kind.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Des

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volvo 850 for me today, pulled out of a side road as I was approaching despite my twin front lights. Could be the illegal tinted driver's side window that affected his vision though Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil I thought things like that were an MOT failure - assuming he had it done when tested, or indeed had it tested. They do seem to be more prevalent these days though.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Volvo 850 for me today, pulled out of a side road as I was approaching despite my twin front lights. Could be the illegal tinted driver's side window that affected his vision though Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil I thought things like that were an MOT failure - assuming he had it done when tested, or indeed had it tested. They do seem to be more prevalent these days though.

You're assuming the car actually has an MOT in the first place.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Could be the illegal tinted driver's side window that affected his vision though Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil I thought things like that were an MOT failure
Not sure they are either illegal or MOT failures; it's a question of how much light they block, I think.

mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Des wrote:
Could be the illegal tinted driver's side window that affected his vision though Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil I thought things like that were an MOT failure
Not sure they are either illegal or MOT failures; it's a question of how much light they block, I think.

not very much before they become illegal. 20% rings a bell.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Des wrote:

Depends who you ask. The maximum legal tint on spectacles for night driving is about 15% but it does depend if your lenses are coated or not, if they are you can get away with 20%.

one thing it's worth noting is that the tint on your specs and windscreen are summated, I.E if you are driving at night and have a 20% tinted windscreen it would be technically illegal to wear anything other than an anti reflection coated clear lens. If you have photochromic lenses they cut out between 10 and 20% of the light when at their clearest already so any kind of tint on your windscreen is illegal at night whilst you are wearing them

some of the budget photochromics aren't legal for night driving at all if uncoated. they won't tell you that when they give you them 'free' though.

I think the main consideration is that you look like a complete w@nker with your front windows tinted. still, at least no-one can see who you are...
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Des wrote:

Depends who you ask. The maximum legal tint on spectacles for night driving is about 15% but it does depend if your lenses are coated or not, if they are you can get away with 20%.

one thing it's worth noting is that the tint on your specs and windscreen are summated, I.E if you are driving at night and have a 20% tinted windscreen it would be technically illegal to wear anything other than an anti reflection coated clear lens. If you have photochromic lenses they cut out between 10 and 20% of the light when at their clearest already so any kind of tint on your windscreen is illegal at night whilst you are wearing them

some of the budget photochromics aren't legal for night driving at all if uncoated. they won't tell you that when they give you them 'free' though.

I think the main consideration is that you look like a complete w@nker with your front windows tinted. still, at least no-one can see who you are...

To be fair, if I had to drive a Volvo 850 I'd insist on having all the windows tinted.

Des

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Des wrote:

Or that you can read BB Wink
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Des wrote:

The shockingly poor structure of your previous post didn't help. Wink

Des

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Des wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Des wrote:

The shockingly poor structure of your previous post didn't help. Wink

Grammatical structure = pointless Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: