Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - When you had your run in with a car was it in the morning...

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

When you had your run in with a car was it in the morning...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Were you hit in the morning or the evening?
Morning
62%
 62%  [ 22 ]
Evening
37%
 37%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 35

Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
I was nearly killed "head-on" in Harringay this morning Surprised

I had a couple of very near "head on" crashes on the train the other day. These people are crazy
legro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there doesn't appear to be a third option?

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
Patrick wrote:
martin smith wrote:
riding track, being aware, being courteous.

Good effort! But all of those factors are irrelevant...

no they aren't. being aware of what's around me has made a huge difference. riding track makes you aware.

riding track doesn't make you aware, simply riding your bike does that. Especially in a big bunch. But only if you pay attention. Many people don't.

Its helped me avoid a number of potential accidents, one of which ended up closing the A6 for a number of hours.

Last edited by mattr on Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
martin smith wrote:
Patrick wrote:
martin smith wrote:

no they aren't. being aware of what's around me has made a huge difference. riding track makes you aware.

riding track doesn't make you aware, simply riding your bike does that. Especially in a big bunch. But only if you pay attention. Many people don't.

Its helped me avoid a number of potential accidents, one of which ended up closing the A6 for a number of hours.

ok - riding track forces you to pay attention. riding on your own doesn't.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have a force field that I use when riding my bike, don't know why more people don't do the same.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
Patrick wrote:
martin smith wrote:
sub4 wrote:
martin smith wrote:
never been hit by a car in 22 years of riding on the road.

Please, tell me your secret!!!

One evening and one lunchtime (ahh, lunchtime wasn't an option!).

That's fine but all you can do when you hear a car coming up fast behind you is hope for the best. Since I got hit a few weeks ago (Stationary with one foot on the verge) I have got really jittery on busy roads. I know you can handle yourself on a bike Martin but you can't legislate for the occasional half witted idiots driving cars.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
That's fine but all you can do when you hear a car coming up fast behind you is hope for the best. Since I got hit a few weeks ago (Stationary with one foot on the verge) I have got really jittery on busy roads. I know you can handle yourself on a bike Martin but you can't legislate for the occasional half witted idiots driving cars.

No, you can't legislate, all you can do is keep your wits about you and listen/look out for the nutters.

The A6 incident, i heard someone clipping a kerb/hitting something behind me, hopped up on to the pavement (or may have ridden up a driveway, can't remember?) and then watched the idiot drive into the front of a car coming the other way, without even touching the brakes.

Between him crashing and the police arriving he was telling everyone that the other driver 'came out of nowhere' and 'was all over the place'.

Not to much effect tho........

If i hadn't been aware, he could well have collected me on the way to driving into the other car.
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna try and see if we can get some propa data on this and do another Google Mashup on Times Labs Blog

See what we can do
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
JONNO wrote:

No, you can't legislate, all you can do is keep your wits about you and listen/look out for the nutters.

The A6 incident, i heard someone clipping a kerb/hitting something behind me, hopped up on to the pavement (or may have ridden up a driveway, can't remember?) and then watched the idiot drive into the front of a car coming the other way, without even touching the brakes.

Between him crashing and the police arriving he was telling everyone that the other driver 'came out of nowhere' and 'was all over the place'.

If i hadn't been aware, he could well have collected me on the way to driving into the other car.

bang on. the one and only time someone has not spotted me until it was very late and locked up behind me (they couldn't overtake as there was a central reservation) i was already on the verge.

listen to cars. if they change gear, slow down, speed up behind you then they've seen you. if they do none of those things, take a look over your shoulder. if they aren't looking at you or moving out get the f**k out of the way.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
JONNO wrote:

bang on. the one and only time someone has not spotted me until it was very late and locked up behind me (they couldn't overtake as there was a central reservation) i was already on the verge.

listen to cars. if they change gear, slow down, speed up behind you then they've seen you. if they do none of those things, take a look over your shoulder. if they aren't looking at you or moving out get the f**k out of the way.

martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
JONNO wrote:

I have a handy thing called a 'neck' that allows me to turn my eyes so i can see backwards. it's great.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
martin smith wrote:
mattr wrote:
JONNO wrote:

I have a handy thing called a 'neck' that allows me to turn my eyes so i can see backwards. it's great.

No shit Sherlock.

MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 evenings, 1 morning, but the morning one was the most damaging. Confused

John McC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:

You don't commute on busy urban roads, do you?

Judging by the above, if you did you'd be looking backwards during the whole ride!
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:

You don't commute on busy urban roads, do you?

no Cool Very Happy
Mscott
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morning once, and afternoon once (around 4pm)!
Am Fm Biker
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting replies, now to follow up some of the stories here... perhaps information on the number of years you've been cycling to work and number of accidents, and time of year that you had it. Really a survey on this kind of stuff might be interesting. If I had the time to draw up a webform id do that. Post it on other forums and see how many people we could get to fill it in.

Regardless - I've been commuting by bike for a year or two years I guess depends if you count seasonal commuting I think commuting in the dark is exceedingly dangerous, and as such do not cycle through winter...

With the data you could form an interesting picture I think, but I'm not sure on the application of said information. The conclusion would be, stay alert. Which is a pretty damn obvious statement if ever I heard, but one that is easy to forget.

Very pleasant evening ride home one night last week, got in a good rhythm, mind started to wonder... ZOOM white van goes past fairly closely around 30cm breathing space at a guess seemed like a lot less. Soon woke me up. Road wasn't busy, no on coming traffic. If my mind can wonder on a bike, how about drivers after a day in the office!!
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find commuting in the dark safer. though i ride with ~ £300 worth of lights.
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket Rocket wrote:
When I was hit it was late afternoon when the sun is low. Caused a glare to the driver that hit me - that was his excuse Shocked

Bloke who owned a bike shop in Liverpool was hit by a motorist and killed by someone using that same excuse. It was in the morning and the driver said he didn't see the cyclists (there was a few of them out for a ride) as the mornign sun blinded him.

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
The 3 instances in the last 8 years when I've ended up on tarmac have all been in the morning. Loads of near misses in the evening though. Now does that say my reactions are also slower in the mornings?

Des - from what I have seen - be pleased its only 3.

lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Commuting) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: