Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Cross organisers' take on new regs

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Cross organisers' take on new regs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Off Road Cycling)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Disc brakes are...
Not safe, but will use them
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Not safe, won't use them
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
safe and I will use them
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
safe but I won't use them
42%
 42%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 19

SMB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatboys dont fly wrote:
Best thing to do in my opinion is get yourselves onto Gabbys webshop and buy some TRP cantis instead Very Happy

Or go and get some Frog legs cantis from paul milnes for about 1/3 of the price work just as well if not better
Lil Gascoigne
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's not forget that this only really influences the top end guys, they're the ones who'll have to think about it - does the improvement in stopping power in a few situations warant the extra weight.

The rest of us in the midfields of the fish and chippers will be battling each other on 'cross bikes and mtb's anyway. whether the chap next to me has disk brakes on is not my major issue, whether they can go faster than me, is!
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my limited experience of cantis, they stop you a hell of a lot slower and less predictably than an avid BB7 cable disc brake. discs rock. as for safety, you might as well moan that you could get poked in the eye by the cable end of a canti brake - frankly i can't think of any cross race i've seen where you would have to brake enough to get the things hot and who the hell is using sharp discs? has oddjob started making bike bits now?

I'm not likely to ever enter a cross race though so my opinion is kind of irrelevant.
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
in my limited experience of cantis, they stop you a hell of a lot slower and less predictably than an avid BB7 cable disc brake. discs rock. as for safety, you might as well moan that you could get poked in the eye by the cable end of a canti brake - frankly i can't think of any cross race i've seen where you would have to brake enough to get the things hot and who the hell is using sharp discs? has oddjob started making bike bits now?

I'm not likely to ever enter a cross race though so my opinion is kind of irrelevant.

IIRC correctly you have a pretty tidy setup for commuting. Can you post a pic up 'ere as I was thinking of doing something similar.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:

I nearly cut my index finger off the other week on me mates chainring when I was taking a bottle cage off for him, the teeth were that sharp. Surely in this day and age you would have though someone could have come up with something safer than a row of sharpened spikes to drive a chain round. I am incensed that we are allowed to actually race with them. And while were on the subject didn't someone almost bleed to death in the Tour of Ireland when a bladed spoke severed an artery or something a couple of years ago? Bikes are bloody lethal if you ask me.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Tibbs wrote:
martin smith wrote:

IIRC correctly you have a pretty tidy setup for commuting. Can you post a pic up 'ere as I was thinking of doing something similar.

i'm about to order one, not got it yet - it's going to be one of these:

http://www.orbea.com/en/bicis/modelos/diem_drop/presentacion/

on my fixed bike i've just ordered a pair of kinesis dc19 disc forks, hope pro II on cxp30 and an avid BB7 road to convert it to disc front end, it'll be mega. (obviously i don't really need a back brake so i'll keep the caliper on the back)
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
Terry Tibbs wrote:
martin smith wrote:

on my fixed bike i've just ordered a pair of kinesis dc19 disc forks, hope pro II on cxp30 and an avid BB7 road to convert it to disc front end, it'll be mega. (obviously i don't really need a back brake so i'll keep the caliper on the back)

Tasty, I presume you are binning all the Shimano stuff? Shocked
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
martin smith wrote:
Terry Tibbs wrote:
martin smith wrote:

christ, of course. it'll have chorus with hope hubs on open pros. will make it a couple of kilos lighter too.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
JONNO wrote:
martin smith wrote:
Terry Tibbs wrote:
martin smith wrote:

christ, of course. it'll have chorus with hope hubs on open pros. will make it a couple of kilos lighter too.

Good man.
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
Terry Tibbs wrote:
martin smith wrote:

It was the fixed one I was on about. Pics?
Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, do all disc brakes squeal in the wet? My mtb brakes make a right racket when wet, the seller said that there's nothing to be done, design fault.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
On a related note, do all disc brakes squeal in the wet? My mtb brakes make a right racket when wet, the seller said that there's nothing to be done, design fault.
nah, its crap set up.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few things, stopping in cross = pointless, i can't off hand think of any instances where i've wished to be able to slow down quicker. Not to say it doesn't happen, but infrequently enough to not be an issue. On the flip side, i regularly wish i could slow down more on my disc equipped MTB. Tyres are the limiting factor, and will remain so, physics isn't going to change. All discs are sharp its a function of them wearing. And light weight = small discs = higher temp. I'd expect crossers to need no more than a 140 on both ends.

Jonno, all the other bits (cables, chainrings, spokes) are either stationary relative to the frame, on a freewheel (so easy to stop) or a long way from the centre of rotation (spokes) so don't have a significant risk of chopping owt off. Discs are none of the about. If you touch a disc on a bike that is being carried and the wheels are rotating (fairly usual practice) it will more than likely slice you, even if the wheel is only going round at 5 mph. Hit a spoke, the wheel will stop.

And its the midfield where its going to be worst, its where the experience is limited, the racing is closer and people make stupid mistakes. Like sprinting for 40th.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Tibbs wrote:
martin smith wrote:
Terry Tibbs wrote:
martin smith wrote:

It was the fixed one I was on about. Pics?

My current fixed bike (not done the disc conversion yet) same frame as the pearson touche but it looked a bit bare so i bunged some random stickers on it.

orbeas
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: disc braked X bike Reply with quote

Just seen a Linsky titanium X disc braked bike - sprints and tubs-Durace gears and chainset - carbon bars stem seat post
was very light !!!!!! will be up the front on the Peaks for sure.
gwoody
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
probably going to regret putting this on here, but here goes
why is there now a ban on tyres with 35mm
I am now classing myself as a "not many"
quote :-
"since not many run on now banned 35mm tyres"
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe to keep 29er mtbs out of the racing?
orbeas
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: 35mm tyres Reply with quote

gwoody wrote:
hi

not all tyres marked 35mm are actually 35mm wide

I have some Vittoria tubs that are marked 32mm but if you meas.ure them they are 29.8 mm.
Do they intended to have a guy with a caliper at all the races measuring everyones tyres. ???????
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 35mm tyres Reply with quote

orbeas wrote:
Do they intended to have a guy with a caliper at all the races measuring everyones tyres. ???????
Apparently, yes.

Don't think that will be anything but UCI races.
Pete Mooney
E, Silver

Location: Hanging on to Dudley Busser Halfway between Hell and back!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 35mm tyres Reply with quote

orbeas wrote:
gwoody wrote:
hi

not all tyres marked 35mm are actually 35mm wide

I have some Vittoria tubs that are marked 32mm but if you meas.ure them they are 29.8 mm.

Yes and someone with a thermometer Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Off Road Cycling) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: