Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - tommy V

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

tommy V
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:

The way he accelerated after every attack by climbers was SUPERHUMAN, what a guy, I've not seen an effort like that since Floyd Landis was in his prime.

bollox. err FACT.
Zarate
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boring - no. More even - yes. The Schlecks appear to have not a tactical idea between them, Bertie is a shadow of the Giro rider who may be sandbagging, Cadel is doing his usual thing and will probably launch a big move as late as possible in the Alps, knowing that the Schlecks and Bertie are hardly the world's best against the watch.
If Thomas V manages to hang on in the Alps it will be a miracle, but his team are putting themselves to the sword for him. How is he at the TT?
I'll bet FdJ and Saur will join the fun if the money's right. It would actually be good for the TdF to have a French winner - and of course a Brit in Green.
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saur Sojasun have performed beyond a lot of peoples expectations, They've had guys in quite a few long breaks, inc the youngest guy in the race, and most of them are still in the race.

Voeckler is now getting the usual French press build -up as a potential winner, and who can blame them, they've waited long enough, but i'd like to see a bit more time on Evans, assuming it stays the same on time up to the TT, although the Maillot Jaune can work wonders when necessary.

Race is still wide open really
nedsoldman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, reading between the lines, the race is boring, none of the favourites are performing well, but Voekler is doing beter than expected therefore there must be some less than legit reason? Either he is charging, or the others aren't?
Christ, its no wonder all I ever hear from non cyclists is *CENSORED* accusations when there is this level of cynicism amongst the fans!!
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nedsoldman wrote:
So, reading between the lines, the race is boring, none of the favourites are performing well, but Voekler is doing beter than expected therefore there must be some less than legit reason? Either he is charging, or the others aren't?
Christ, its no wonder all I ever hear from non cyclists is *CENSORED* accusations when there is this level of cynicism amongst the fans!!

Cynicism, or realism?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
nedsoldman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a bit of both, although I think Tommy V has proved his mettle in the past
key ran
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Flecha will be cheering 'Tommy' on:

Quote:
"Looking at the replay of the crash, his first reaction was to go faster, he didn't even stop pedalling for half a pedal stroke. On the next day, everybody in the bunch came to see me to see how I was doing, but he didn't. It just shows how he is as a person," Flecha said bluntly.

"He only cares about himself. If you ask the other riders in the bunch, they would agree with me. He never gives anything to others."

Insisting that this was merely a personal observation, the Spaniard did not devalue Voeckler's chances for overall victory, even though the Frenchman himself rated them as poor.

"He's a good actor," Flecha said. "All of this talk that he doesn't see himself winning the Tour is just to put pressure on the others.

"It won't surprise me if he wins. After what he did on Plateau de Beille, he's capable of it. His team is looking good as well.

mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

key ran wrote:
I don't think Flecha will be cheering 'Tommy' on:

Quote:
"Looking at the replay of the crash, his first reaction was to go faster, he didn't even stop pedalling for half a pedal stroke.
Weird, looked to me like he spent 10-15m on the verge, coasting, and trying to keep his bike upright.......
SteveO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite. Seemed to me that Voeckler did well to stay on two wheels.

If the cleat was on the other foot and Flecha was in contention for the Jersey....

Make up your own mind.
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveO wrote:

If the cleat was on the other foot and Flecha was in contention for the Jersey....

Make up your own mind.

he appeared to me post crash as if he was trying to ascertian what had axctually happened and that was it.
Scalatore
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:
SteveO wrote:

Make up your own mind.

he appeared to me post crash as if he was trying to ascertian what had axctually happened and that was it.

He looked over his shoulder, shook his head in a "FFS" fashion and plodded on. Not sure what else he could do really.

Last edited by Scalatore on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
nedsoldman wrote:

Cynicism, or realism?

I read an article on Voekler in the Ouest France earlier this year, they asked TV if he had changed his training methods at all this year, he replied that he had upped his weekly hours on the bike from 25 to 30-35!! that might have something to do with his current 'form' Wink
Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scalatore wrote:
hed wrote:
SteveO wrote:

Make up your own mind.

He looked over his shoulder, shook his head in a "FFS" fashion and plodded on. Not sure what else he could do really.

Apparently he should have turned round, helped everyone and then waited for Cancellara to stop the race.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
Apparently he should have turned round, helped everyone and then waited for Cancellara to stop the race.
Laughing It was a big crash and a fairly reasonable assumption that any stopping and waiting around was going to see the whole break caught.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob J wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
nedsoldman wrote:

Cynicism, or realism?

I read an article on Voekler in the Ouest France earlier this year, they asked TV if he had changed his training methods at all this year, he replied that he had upped his weekly hours on the bike from 25 to 30-35!! that might have something to do with his current 'form' Wink

Shocked
DenHaag
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:
Bob J wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
nedsoldman wrote:

Cynicism, or realism?

Shocked

I would have thought that would be about right for the average pro.
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DenHaag wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Bob J wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
nedsoldman wrote:

Cynicism, or realism?

Shocked

It's only av of 5hrs a day after all Wink

If most french pro's are to be believed, anywhere between 24-30 hrs seems to be the most popular quoted figures....I managed 18 hrs a few times this year, I mean I like riding the bike, but the thought of doing twice that amount is a bit hard to imagine....

But that's why they are what they are Cool
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob J wrote:
DenHaag wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:
Bob J wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
nedsoldman wrote:

Cynicism, or realism?

Shocked

It's only av of 5hrs a day after all Wink

If most french pro's are to be believed, anywhere between 24-30 hrs seems to be the most popular quoted figures....I managed 18 hrs a few times this year, I mean I like riding the bike, but the thought of doing twice that amount is a bit hard to imagine....

But that's why they are what they are Cool

5 hours a day on a bike would be a piece of p!ss if i had f*ck al else to do.
nedsoldman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It rather depends what you put into that 5 hours though doesn't it!
Gains
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:

5 hours a day on a bike would be a piece of p!ss if i had f*ck al else to do.

...and was being paid to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Le Tour All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: