Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Whilst I'm out..

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Whilst I'm out..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Whilst I'm out.. Reply with quote

Recommend me a decent road bike for less than a grand for one of the lads at work who has had enough of his mountain bike. The Boardman looks good for the shillings but I was hoping to show him a couple of alternatives and explain what he should be looking for. Not Yankee if possible, ta. Smile
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet-X presumably have something at that price. Wiggle - have focus's and their own brand at that price. Having seen the Boardman recently, it's very nice.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet x are a tickle over a grand but it's deffo not mainstream and good kit so I'll put it forward. Another plus is it seems you can actually talk to them and change the spec which you can't on an off the peg...
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
Planet x are a tickle over a grand but it's deffo not mainstream and good kit so I'll put it forward. Another plus is it seems you can actually talk to them and change the spec which you can't on an off the peg...

If you look at their website you can spec crank lengths, bar widths, stem lengths, which is pretty impressive.

If he can wait they regularly have offers with a limited run at silly prices, wasnt so long ago they were churning out carbon frames and dura-ace for a grand
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planet X, really nice bikes!
Patrick
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Whilst I'm out.. Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
Recommend me a decent road bike for less than a grand for one of the lads at work who has had enough of his mountain bike. The Boardman looks good for the shillings but I was hoping to show him a couple of alternatives and explain what he should be looking for. Not Yankee if possible, ta. Smile

Boardman. He will not get a better bike for the money, not a chance. 'Team Carbon' is outstanding (Frame along is £750 - Bike is £999) if not the model below with the alloy frame is still excellent value, again kitted out with SRAM Rival - £799.99.

The reviews speak for themselves.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. If it was me I would probably go for the Boardman as a bang for bucks buy. He is going for the Planet X however as he doesn't like the idea of buying from Halfords. Seems to me that is the only stumbling block Chris will have in shifting boatloads. Bloody snobbery innit? Rolling Eyes
Patrick
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
Update. If it was me I would probably go for the Boardman as a bang for bucks buy. He is going for the Planet X however as he doesn't like the idea of buying from Halfords. Seems to me that is the only stumbling block Chris will have in shifting boatloads. Bloody snobbery innit? Rolling Eyes

To be fair the Planet-X bikes are also a pretty good deal, a few people had them through the shop via C2W and they're bloomin nice in the flesh too.
bushman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:

Not really when you see the state of some of the bikes cmoing out of there. Had one in today, wheels out of true, cranks slack, front and rear mechs way of of adjustment, brake pads not lined up properly, headset loose-I could go on. They are very well specced for the money but the service in many cases doesnt match. support your local proper bike shop.
Ashfield Andy
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that any bike under a grand can be purchased through "salary sacrafice " schemes meaning a huge discount especially people with 40% tax bracket..

Talk to your local bike shop and your personnel at work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: