Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - time trial entry..

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

time trial entry..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PNuT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the belly wrote:
im not picking on anyone.. but theres still not a good reason for not having FCFS...

ORGANISED RIDERS? GOOD RIDERS? WHATS THAT ABOUT.. YOU GO OFF AT MINUTE INTERVALS IN A STRAIGHT OUT AND BACK USUALLY

ITS JUST A FARCE .. I STILL SAY ONLINE ENTRY AND FCFS... YET TO HEAR A GOOD ENOUGH REASON TO BE ANY OTHER WAY.. Very Happy

caps lock is hardly needed Rolling Eyes toys out of pram springs to mind Rolling Eyes

not all organisors have pc's for a start, would you like them to stop organising? however a non event will be harder to get in!

fcfs would lead to many problems.... the national hill climb would be full by january by people who cant climb for toffee... how many fone calls would the organisor recieve over the next 8 months enquirering about entry availability?

if you feel strongly enough about it, go thru you club & try & get the entry system changed.... however i think changing the pram for a bike would be a little more constructive Wink

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the belly wrote:
im not picking on anyone.. but theres still not a good reason for not having FCFS...

ORGANISED RIDERS? GOOD RIDERS? WHATS THAT ABOUT.. YOU GO OFF AT MINUTE INTERVALS IN A STRAIGHT OUT AND BACK USUALLY

ITS JUST A FARCE .. I STILL SAY ONLINE ENTRY AND FCFS... YET TO HEAR A GOOD ENOUGH REASON TO BE ANY OTHER WAY.. Very Happy

So what you're doing is ignoring all the reasons given so far, and asking the same question in CAPITAL LETTERS? You sound like the sort of poster I usually ignore.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the belly wrote:

Ah well, if you say so

the belly wrote:

There is a maximum size for each field, if the most organised riders all enter early the fast/good riders (who make the event more worthwhile, e.g. i was 3 minutes adrift of Mr.X who did a 19:yy 10) won't get in.

the belly wrote:

Ah well, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it understand.

If you are that keen on getting into fast events,might i suggest either getting a coach, training a bit more and getting some fast times in less over subscribed events. Or going thro your club and getting the rules changed, to suit you.
Legs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RETARD

(the points that his interest is triathlon and that he can't even spell his professional title suggest that Tucker is right - one for the imaginary 'ignore' button...)
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they still have tt leagues. In East Yorkshire the tt league used to be alternate Thursdays to the rr league. Both were handicapped. Riders could move up or down the rankings over the course of the series. Prizes were awarded for each block of riders in the tt, so old ladies and beginners had something to race for. Apart from the odd sporting event this was the only tting, apart from club events, I got to do as we lived near an ultra fast course and I'd never have made the requisite times.

Basically like the road racing categories being discussed the entry level is quite high for a lot of events so from his perspective Belly has a point.

Oh and Legs don't even think of calling ME a RETARD Rolling Eyes
Legs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:

Of course not, you've got a capacity for rational thought, which this belly character clearly hasn't.

If you dole out places on a FCFS basis, you have to stipulate an opening date for entries, otherwise you'd have people like Mr Rowley entering the 2010 Tour de France now. Then you get situation like the Fred Whitton Challenge, whereby the books are full by 00:04 on New Year's Day for an event in May because of the sudden rush. In the intervening weeks and months, all manner of circumstances can arise which may lead to many of the riders' plans changing! For newcomers to cycling, particularly the talented ones whose times are fast enough to get into 'fast' events, it would be just as unfair to not get into the 'fast events' because they did not know about them however-many months ago...

All this will be lost on the belly...
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
Do they still have tt leagues. In East Yorkshire the tt league used to be alternate Thursdays to the rr league. Both were handicapped. Riders could move up or down the rankings over the course of the series. Prizes were awarded for each block of riders in the tt, so old ladies and beginners had something to race for. Apart from the odd sporting event this was the only tting, apart from club events, I got to do as we lived near an ultra fast course and I'd never have made the requisite times.

Basically like the road racing categories being discussed the entry level is quite high for a lot of events so from his perspective Belly has a point.

Team Midland run a TT league. Riders are in ability categories and there are also vets and tandem categories. Points for position (not time) in your category and prizes at the end of season do.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xavier wrote:
A recent event on the U47 in Cirencester closed on a long 21, that's the fastest open 10 I've ever heard of. Apart from that the answer's yes. A long 21 would also get you into the national 10 most years (but not this year, at the moment it's 21:23 unless there are more entries to come in)

'kin 'ell, if I want to ride the nationals I'll have to get a TT bike & a silly hat. Can't they just change the rules so I can enter in advance?
PNuT

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
'kin 'ell, if I want to ride the nationals I'll have to get a TT bike & a silly hat. Can't they just change the rules so I can enter in advance?

feel free, i posted my entry off as i want a ride in the individual pursuit in 2012.... doubt brad has thought about entering yet so i should get his ride Very Happy

AlbertHerring
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:
He could also return excess entries immediately, giving those riders time to get into another event. The current rules expressly prevent this - the organiser has to wait until the deadline and select the field on ability.

Surely, once you get to enough entries to make up a full field, you sort them into qualifying time order. When new ones come in, if they are slower then you can send them back straight away, or if they are faster then you can bump the bottom one off the pile and send that back, no need to wait until the closing date. Maybe hang onto a couple in case anybody withdraws.

The ten day turnround is indeed a bit tight, but it was worse when you had to use Letraset to do the start sheet layout...
PNuT

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the reason they are not sent back is you have time to improve on your qualifying time, & then notify the organisor of any improvement right up to the closing date.....

KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
the reason they are not sent back is you have time to improve on your qualifying time, & then notify the organisor of any improvement right up to the closing date.....

Does this happen often?
AlbertHerring
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it after the closing date (notification still required if there's a handicap) when I was about 14. But if I'd entered early and had it returned early then improved before the closing date, I'd probably try using the electric telephone to see if I could get a second chance. Or just send the entry in again.
PNuT

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
PNuT wrote:

Does this happen often?

dunno....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: