Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Picos de Europa

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Picos de Europa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Picos de Europa Reply with quote

Anyone got any info on campsites/decent maps for this area, we are thinking of getting the ferry over with the bikes to Santander and riding from there then camping but can't find much on the internet.. Any help appreciated. Wink
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it, but on a motorbike rather than leg-powered... Embarassed
Absolutely beautiful, unspoiled, well worth the trip. Ferry to/from Santander can be rough across Bay of Biscay in bad weather, otherwise it's fine, and although it's a long crossing you're asleep for most of it as it leaves early evening both ways, and arrives late morning.
We managed to coincide with a couple of Vuelta stages, which was good – much more relaxed and accessible than Tour/Giro, with far less hassle getting to a good spot on a climb as rolling road closures are only in place about half an hour before the race comes through, and there's no publicity caravan.
Can't help on campsites as we used hotel/B+B booked through Brittany Ferries (and paid for by them as I was doing a story for their inflight magazine!). Maps: Michelin are best I think: we used 1:250000 nos. 571, 572, 575. Also bought locally a GeoPlaneta map of Asturias Cantabria for the area near Santander, but although good for the roads it was light on contours and details etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: