Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Setting up clip-ons

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Setting up clip-ons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Young Un
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Setting up clip-ons Reply with quote

I have just today (cheers RP) recieved some clip-on time trial bars, and I am after some advise on how wide they should be set apart. Is there a particular formula or measurment you can use, using your shoulder width, or is it just down to what feels right?

Cheers,
Steve Brown
Redditch R and P
will10
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set them up wide-ish so they're comfortable, and you have enough control, if you've never used them before you'll need to get used to controlling the bike with your forearms before getting narrow.
Zipppy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

It will probably take you a good few rides to get the ideal position. It would be a good idea to do some evening 10's to find the best position instead of in weekend events.

Try and get as low & safe as possible, but this will take time so make small changes each time.
Young Un
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replys guys!

I have now got them set up as narrow as possible, and I feel very safe when riding on them.

The only problem I am having is getting them as low as possible, as I have a Giant SCR2 which are renouned for their long head tube, and I already have no spacers under the stem, and a a stem with more 'rise' than standard. But, I don't really mind that, it will od me for this year, and if I can get into 24's this season then I will badger my dad to buy a TT bike for next season.

Cheers
Steve
Zipppy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lad! Good luck and keep at it, dont get to obsessed with the kit youre riding initially, just make sure the engine is working properly!
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn your stem upside down - that'll get you lower.
Young Un
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Turn your stem upside down - that'll get you lower.

Already been done - unfortunately I now can;t get any lower.

However, it was still good enough to do a 24-53 in the GHS Midalnd District event today, so I am pretty happy!
will10
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can get an ergostem off ebay fairly cheap, that'll get you lower, and you can also experiment with various positions etc and find out what suits you before you buy a TT bike, if that's what you want to do.

good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: