Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Gear change help needed

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Gear change help needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rescueuall
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Gear change help needed Reply with quote

GeoHI

after 25 years of driving I have decided to buy my first bike , I went down to the local halfords shop and bought a Carrera Virtuoso 48.5cm Road Bike has Shimano ST2200 16 speed gearing with STI controls.

can someone out there explain to me how to work the gears as i havent a clue to bike gears , when and how to change them etc would be great , infact if someone out there can explain them in idiot terms that would help me Smile

many thanx Rolling Eyes

well what can I say I,m overwhelmed with the all the offers of advice that I hve received ................ if only that was true ................ not one reply Sad .......... off to look for a better forum Confused
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is for people who used to ride bikes, not for those who've barely started. come back in 10 years when you've given up.
rescueuall
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
This forum is for people who used to ride bikes, not for those who've barely started. come back in 10 years when you've given up.

lol if this site is full of self centered folk like yourself then I dont want part of it , you have just summed this site up in one go
Magnier
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rescueuall wrote:
Tucker wrote:

lol if this site is full of self centered folk like yourself then I dont want part of it , you have just summed this site up in one go

Its definitely not! There's plenty of people with some good advice.

How've you got on with your new bike so far?

Basically you want to adjust your gears so your legs are turning at a confortable speed. Ease the pressure of the pedals to change. You'll change you rear gears the most, only use the front gears when there's a big hill coming.

Andy
legro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Gear change help needed Reply with quote

rescueuall wrote:
can someone out there explain to me how to work the gears as i havent a clue to bike gears , when and how to change them etc would be great , infact if someone out there can explain them in idiot terms that would help me Smile

your brake leavers are your gears, right leaver works your sprockets on the rear wheel, by moving the leaver sideways you can down the gears, the bigger the sprocket the lower the gear

Inside the brake leaver there is another little leaver that allows you to change up for a bigger gear (small sprockets)

on the left leaver, it does the same except moves your chain ring(s). When you are in the big ring you generally are going fast along the flat, the small ring is for hills and Tucker

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to the men I thought since any technical advice from women is frowned upon Wink and they ignored you Sad Sorry about that.

As Magnier says VR isn't a bad place and mostly folk are really helpful if a little too clever with the words sometimes. Ignore Tuc Tuc he's only young and is a bit cleverer than most of us, Welsh to boot Very Happy

Oh yeah, and the guy with advice above is a coach and a World Champion in his spare time. Probably knows what he's talking about Wink
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear change help needed Reply with quote

rescueuall wrote:
GeoHI

after 25 years of driving I have decided to buy my first bike , I went down to the local halfords shop and bought a Carrera Virtuoso 48.5cm Road Bike has Shimano ST2200 16 speed gearing with STI controls.

many thanx Rolling Eyes

well what can I say I,m overwhelmed with the all the offers of advice that I hve received ................ if only that was true ................ not one reply Sad .......... off to look for a better forum Confused

I like this guy as he makes me look like I have a clue, please keep comming back.

The advice I would give you is just get on your bike and as you go along you will make mistakes and then learn by them and people will point oyu in the direction, and as you encounter probs you will learn how to solve them and in the end you will become a master cyclist just like me. Very Happy

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rescueuall wrote:
Tucker wrote:

How to make yourself popular with the locals. Post 2 and give 'em a kicking. Wanker.
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear change help needed Reply with quote

MrLoverman wrote:
rescueuall wrote:
GeoHI

many thanx Rolling Eyes

I like this guy as he makes me look like I have a clue,
Very Happy

So tell him how his gears work.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear change help needed Reply with quote

legro wrote:
on the left leaver, it does the same except moves your chain ring(s). When you are in the big ring you generally are going fast along the flat, the small ring is for hills and Tucker

Twunt!
MrLoverman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear change help needed Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
MrLoverman wrote:
rescueuall wrote:
GeoHI

many thanx Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

well you have to go to the bottom of a steep hill with a load of others and the last one to the top gets a beating and is a Evil or Very Mad who has to buy drinks for everyone else on a night out.

Visit - http://love-muscle.myminicity.com/
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear change help needed Reply with quote

MrLoverman wrote:
Steve McGinty wrote:
MrLoverman wrote:
rescueuall wrote:
GeoHI

many thanx Rolling Eyes

Very Happy

well you have to go to the bottom of a steep hill with a load of others and the last one to the top gets a beating and is a Evil or Very Mad who has to buy drinks for everyone else on a night out.

Exactly. Hope for you yet Mr Scouserman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: