Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - World Champion jersey

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

World Champion jersey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: World Champion jersey Reply with quote

Showing off now, but at 12.30 on Saturday, I was in a coach, leaving Montreux, Switzerland, for a small village called Blonay. We stopped at lights and two riders crossed, one was wearing full 'World Champion' white gear with the rings and riding a white Time road bike. Surely noone can 'just buy' such a jersey. Who might it have been?
Non cycling info - Wow, what a place, super smart, great waterfront, lovely bronze statue of Freddie Mercury, great weather, loads of 'proper' cyclists, lovely 70 mile train ride from Geneva. Just one drawback, SUPER expensive (at least by my standards). On a special deal, hotel cost £430 B&B for a double room for two nights.
Des

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: World Champion jersey Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
Showing off now, but at 12.30 on Saturday, I was in a coach, leaving Montreux, Switzerland, for a small village called Blonay. We stopped at lights and two riders crossed, one was wearing full 'World Champion' white gear with the rings and riding a white Time road bike. Surely noone can 'just buy' such a jersey. Who might it have been?
Non cycling info - Wow, what a place, super smart, great waterfront, lovely bronze statue of Freddie Mercury, great weather, loads of 'proper' cyclists, lovely 70 mile train ride from Geneva. Just one drawback, SUPER expensive (at least by my standards). On a special deal, hotel cost £430 B&B for a double room for two nights.

Well neither Evans or Cancellara are currently contracted to ride Time bikes, so I'll pass.
SteveO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss equivilant of a 4th cat chipper?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: World Champion jersey Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
Showing off now, ......., I was in a coach,..

oxymoron, unless you're from Swindon
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: World Champion jersey Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Dave Griffiths wrote:
Showing off now, ......., I was in a coach,..

oxymoron, unless you're from Swindon

Shocked
Fritz
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a white Time bike could it not of been Boonen's with the WC stripes from 2005. Didn't he ride a Time bike then?
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fritz wrote:
If it was a white Time bike could it not of been Boonen's with the WC stripes from 2005. Didn't he ride a Time bike then?

I'm quite sure that it 'could' have been TB's old bike. I only had time(!) to clock the downtube name and the fact that it was, mainly, plain white.
Key thing was the rainbow jersey, guy certainly looked the business but ....
Personally, I don't like the idea of riding trade/team outfits, unless one is in the team but they are legally on sale. Noone has yet answered the point "Are rainbow jerseys on sale?" Does seem, to me, to be remarkable if the UCI permit such sales.
Des

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
Fritz wrote:

I'm quite sure that it 'could' have been TB's old bike. I only had time(!) to clock the downtube name and the fact that it was, mainly, plain white.
Personally, I don't like the idea of riding trade/team outfits, unless one is in the team but they are legally on sale. Noone has yet answered the point "Are rainbow jerseys on sale?" Does seem, to me, to be remarkable if the UCI permit such sales.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C7862

Although I agree re. Championship and National representation kit, I can't see the problem with trade kit.
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Dave Griffiths wrote:
Fritz wrote:

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C7862

Only available in XXXL Shocked Laughing
esafosfina
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I am not a fan of Worlds jerseys being worn by non-champions, but it happens... there was a guy here in Sydney that won a Masters title and had all his team/club jerseys made up in white rather than blue... Brad McGee and I used to take great delight in half wheeling him until he cracked... someone must have had a quiet word because he never wore the jersey again when he came out with us!!! Earn it then wear it!

"I don't want white burgundy... I need white burgundy"
Fatboys dont fly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to fully agree there, you shouldnt be able to buy them full stop
eightace
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Pricey Reply with quote

Do you realise that for £430 you could have had a new winter bike? Call yourself a cyclist? Laughing
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esafosfina wrote:
... there was a guy here in Sydney that won a Masters title and had all his team/club jerseys made up in white rather than blue... Brad McGee and I used to take great delight in half wheeling him until he cracked...
Yet if he'd come out in the proper gear you'd have congratulated him. Not very bright of him IMO.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Pricey Reply with quote

eightace wrote:
Do you realise that for £430 you could have had a new winter bike? Call yourself a cyclist? Laughing

Yeah, but one's gotta live a bit!
Not a bad gaffe, our room was at the 'L' of Palace (not helluva place!)
Spose I could have also bought a couple of covers instead of the following main course at La Rouvenaz:
Panaché de Poissons et Gambas à la Provençale - fr. 40.-
Assortiment de poissons du marché cuits à la vapeur, sauce à l’huile d’olive, herbes fraîches,
citron et pignons de pin. Servi avec riz et légumes sautés.
I know you can't taste it but it was nice Laughing

Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a guy out riding a Trek today whilst wearing a Bianchi jersey. That shouldn't be allowed. And some woman with a Campagnolo jacket on whilst flagrantly using a Shimano groupset. That shouldn't be allowed either. And there was even a seven year old child at my son's school the other day with an Real Madrid football top on, and I am damned sure he has never actually played for them! That shouldn't be allowed either.
Ventoux110700
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:

Only available in XXXL Shocked Laughing

They're the only dreamers that buy the 'kin things.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paperazzi/sets/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: