Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - VELO CLUB LONG EATON RELIABILITY RIDES

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

VELO CLUB LONG EATON RELIABILITY RIDES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> East Midlands General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian1946
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: VELO CLUB LONG EATON RELIABILITY RIDES Reply with quote

Velo Club Long Eaton Reliability Rides Sunday 2nd February 2014

Start: Plank and Leggit pub/Sawley Marina, Warren Lane, Sawley, Notts

Entry Fee: £5 (including British Cycling levy)

Signing on: From 09.00 in the Plank and Leggit pub.

Two routes:

Long route 70 miles (112k)
Sawley, Shardlow, Aston, Weston, Swarkestone, Willington, Hilton, Hatton, Longford, Alkmonkton, Yeavely, Wyaston, Ashbourne, Fenny Bentley, Longcliffe, Grangemill, Cromford, Whatstandwell, Ambergate, Belper, Makeney, Holbrook, Coxbench, Morley, Spondon, Ockbrook, Draycott, Sawley.
First group off 09.30am

The second year for this new route providing a relatively flat 30 miles before the first testing hill leaving Ashbourne. The new route includes the ‘classic climb’ up to Longcliffe before descending to Grangemill where it descends the lower four mile section of the Via Gellia to Cromford. The return leg is along the A6 to M i l ford and Makeny where it takes in the ‘tough climb’ to Holbrooke and the final climb from Coxbench along Sandy Lane to Morley Smithy.

Short Route 39 miles (63k)
Sawley, Shardlow, Aston, Weston, Swarkestone, Willington, Hilton, Hatton, Tutbury, Rolleston on Dove, Stretton, Willington, Swarkestone, Weston, Aston, Shardlow, Sawley.
First group off 10.00am

This is a predominantly flat route following the valleys of the River Trent and River Dove. The only significant climb is the Tutbury bypass road after 19 miles and before the route turns for the return along the river valleys.

Under 18s must have completed Parental Consent form
Under 16s must be accompanied by responsible a d u l t

Derbyshire and Stafforshire Police notified.
Sanctioned by British Cycling.
Risk Assessments and Route Details for both Reliability Rides available on VCLE website.

Contact details:
Organiser Brian Peto
Email brianpeto@hotmail.co.uk
Mobile 0781 359 8840
Website http://www.vclongeaton.com/
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be there. Have you thought about going into Ashbourne on Moor Ln (which is just straight on where you turn left) then 100 yards on the A52 to the roundabout? Just seems a lot simpler.
highlandpro
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Il make sure their is a full Clay Cross Squad.

www.wheelsmith.co.uk
www.metaltek.co.uk
www.nottinghamforest.co.uk
www.meltonolympic.co.uk
Brian1946
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Butcher wrote:
Will be there. Have you thought about going into Ashbourne on Moor Ln (which is just straight on where you turn left) then 100 yards on the A52 to the roundabout? Just seems a lot simpler.

Hi Tom
I can't say that I did consider it, Ashbourne isn't an area I frequent too often on the bike so it didn't figure when I put the route together. I just looked to the shortest route! Not always the easiest i know.

Too late for this year but I'll consider your suggestion for next year. Thanks
Brian
Brian1946
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlandpro wrote:
Il make sure their is a full Clay Cross Squad.

Thanks for the support.

Brian
Brian1946
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm here! I've a rant to get rid of... the price hike to a fiver is really down to British Cycling. Last year we had 155 riders sign on for both rides, it cost VCLE £120 for BC to insure the event. £60 per 100 riders or part thereof.
This year, it's £50 to register the event and £1.20 per rider. On last year number that's another £186 for a total of £236!! Almost double last year.
I've had a go at BC but they're oblivious to the issues.
Ok the club makes bit out of it but....

Rant over
StevieB
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian

Great route and well managed by VCLE despite the unexpectedly large numbers turning up last year.

I fear that there will be a lot of riders congregating underneath the A50 roundabout this year ! and maybe a few less signing on.

Can't make this year as I will be at cyclocross worlds.

Good luck with event mate.

StevieB
Brian1946
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevieB wrote:
Brian

Great route and well managed by VCLE despite the unexpectedly large numbers turning up last year.

I fear that there will be a lot of riders congregating underneath the A50 roundabout this year ! and maybe a few less signing on.

Can't make this year as I will be at cyclocross worlds.

Good luck with event mate.

StevieB

Hi Steve

Thanks for the compliment on the route, much appreciated, it took quite a while to get it figured out last year. Yes, the turnout last year took us by surprise, there was only three of us for over 150 riders!! Nightmare.
We're geared up a bit better this year.

Freeloaders, yep, sad but true, nothing I can do about it, and they do balls things up for us. The Derbyshire Police were in touch about the ride only yesterday, they're concerned about large groups hogging the road and holding up traffic. We try to set off groups of 12-20ish and then another 20 or so freeloaders jump on the back. Not only do they jeapardise the future of the ride, they also tend to be the ones who rip it up too.
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derbyshire police are a pain in the Evil or Very Mad.

Realistically people want to ride in a group - nobody is paying £5 to ride in a group of 12 whatever the police might like - that's more like a quiet day on the club run. They asked me if we could start a road race in groups of 12-20 too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> East Midlands General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: