Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Will Lance go for a 7th win?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Will Lance go for a 7th win?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Lance go for a 7th win?
yes
95%
 95%  [ 40 ]
no
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 42

Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Will Lance go for a 7th win? Reply with quote

Popovych just signed with Discovery.

He's their man for the Giro now that for the ProTour, they have to do all 3 grand tours.

Lance for the Tour, someone else (Azevedo?) for the Vuelta.

I reckon, like the Tourminator, Lance will be back.
Chris G
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And win it.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is most likely he will. Not so convinced he will win, although I said that this year Embarassed
Simon Nicholas
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he does enter then you can be sure he's in with a very good chance of winning it. This year he made all his critics look slightly daft.
NS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon he will now they have signed Popovych for the Giro and they have Azevedo for the Vuelta
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, Megman, he knows exactly how to win and is prepared to sacrifice almost enything (eg. a marriage) to achieve it.

He will do whatever it takes (I beleive within the bounds of sports regulations Rolling Eyes ) to scientifically acheive 7.157 watts per kilo at lactate threshold (or whatever the figures my be)
Simon Nicholas
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's it Animal, he knows the numbers he has to produce. If he is able then he will enter and win. If not he might go for the hour record whilst the Tour is on.... and try and upstage it Wink
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal wrote:
The thing is, Megman, he knows exactly how to win and is prepared to sacrifice almost enything (eg. a marriage) to achieve it.

He will do whatever it takes (I beleive within the bounds of sports regulations Rolling Eyes ) to scientifically acheive 7.157 watts per kilo at lactate threshold (or whatever the figures my be)

I know, I know, but at some point he will no longer be able to produce whatever w/kg he needs to win and he will lose.
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he just won't enter,
Mikey-B
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'd have to loose a good 10% just for the others to be able to attack him Shocked

For me the question is not 7 but 8, I recon he's got his eye on 8 for sure.
JT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say he wont ride, i think he may have taken the 'not as complete as merckx' stories to heart and might(i hope) have a year riding giro,classics,maybe even the worlds.... try to shut them up a bit,i mean lets face it 6 is hard to get,cant see anyone doing that from the upcoming crop at the moment,so why 7....why risk losing.
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm. But there's something addictive about a yearly ritual. It was a real wrench for me to stop diong the Leadville Trail 100 off road race which I used to do every August in Colorado. I just couldn't imagine not going back and seeing familiar places, familiar race scenes, and familiar faces.
Incomplete Pete
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Discovery signed the 3 year deal with a clause in the contract stating that Lance had to ride one more Tour, so it's pretty certain he will enter.

He'll no doubt ride the Giro at some point too though.
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:
Animal wrote:

I know, I know, but at some point he will no longer be able to produce whatever w/kg he needs to win and he will lose.

It's not always about being the strongest individual though. When the Tour team starts getting diluted for the pro tour events then you'll know he's not going to ride.

Personally, having read lots about him, especially the Alistair Campbell interviews and documentaries, I think he'll ride for number seven and also number 8 to put it well beyond the reach of anyone for a good number of years. He's so competitive and meticulous that although he'll be mid thirties he'll still be so well prepared, as will his team. Take a look at the team spirit displayed in all post stage photo's or interviews. It's like they genuinely love and respect the man, even the likes of the old hands Hincapie and Ekimov, so they'll always ride themselves into the ground for him to win. With backing like that it would also be hard to turn down a ride in the Tour.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
likes of the old hands Hincapie and Ekimov, so they'll always ride themselves into the ground for him to win. With backing like that it would also be hard to turn down a ride in the Tour.

Ekimov will not be there next year, definately retiring this year (at this point anyway). Landis is due to leave too.
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Landis going? Haven't heard any news on that.

A lot of super-domestiques seem to fold when they leave the team that nurtured them to get a team leadership position. I hope he knows what he's doing.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard yet, just that they were not going to keep him at Discovery. Apparently Lance has taken a wage cut, and what with taking on Popovych and possibly another leader for the Veulta (apparently they are after Leipheimer too), I guess wage bills are going to be high with the pro tour coming in.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:
...Apparently Lance has taken a wage cut...
If true this would indicate to me more than anything else that the is very serious about the future. He doesn't need to work Shocked so he could escalate his demands to the limit of the sponsor's ability to pay - it does not matter if they back out. But to accept reduced pay means he wants to divert money elsewhere in the team, so that his TdF effort is not diluted. Roll on next year... Very Happy

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Mikey-B
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely,

I'm sure Armstrong would ride the tour for nothing if he had to. He gets more pleasure out of seeing the pretenders/press mouthing off in the months beforehand....................Then dishes out a thick ear to em all Razz

I recon the hacks'll just cut copy and paste this years pre-tour write ups on how he won't manage 7 Rolling Eyes

He knows all his data, when he's not on it, he'll stop.... not before.

I recon he'll go for 8. The gap between him - bearing in mind he didn't extend himself - and the next best is MASSIVE!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: