Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Wilford Bridge

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Wilford Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> East Midlands General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pieman
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Wilford Bridge Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm there is an unofficial reliability ride leaving Wilford bridge on Sunday at 9.30. I think it’s the same route as Beestons, any ideas.

Pieman
ray stuart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one that I was organising on that day is cancelled.
Wheezer!
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think this ride is on!! 'Animal' had spoken to someone- Mark Plowright I think and there will be a posse turning up! PM him to make sure.
mark plowright
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: wilford bridge Beeston route vale of belvoir ride Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil ok, looks like theres a fair bit of interest from riders todo the Beeston route Vale of Belvoir reliability ride devised by the Late Sid Standard. its a shame if these annual rides, reliabilty,early season try outs or whatever dont keep going, like the Beeston route, long eaton parogon Newhaven one as they are a good way of turning up the notch for the comin season if you are starting in March ! also a good way of siking ( SPELLIN ? ) OUT THE animal that you are n will go better than him this season. i think last years Beeston route was won ! 1st back or they just peddaled abit faster than the rest Loui ... or was it Animal 1st. anyway both ended up on back 1st in my car drinking cups of tea n scoffing the Malt Loaf n being warmed up by the candle on the dash board for heating as i was slightly late back to the bridge from brewing the tea or they should not of gone so fast !!. so the rest of any1 who does ride , go faster to stop any repeat performance, malt loaf will only stretch so far...... also does anyone know a local cafe nearby we could all finish/ end up near wiford toll bridge.in instead of my car. might b abit warmer n wider range of grub. Simon is it possible to send a general email out to all riders of v.r. about start time n where to meet. its called Wilford toll bridge, at the start of nottingham embankment on the river trent with a cycle track going over it leading to west bridgeford/ ruddington. ill try n get some route papers sorted out. so lets try n keep the season warmers goin, also who ever goes on the Ashfield y.h.a weekend the following weekexcellently organised by Richard Birkin n Dave Legrys turo night the following week to that at Beeston road club club room. all of the ridden sensibly !!!!! n not too wear yourself out everyone should be ready for the first races / Darley moors races excellently organised by Arthur Gamble Ashfield rc n everyone trying to Break Ray Stuarts camera lens !! by grimmin . see yer Sunday. pass the word round to anyone on the saturday runs n we,ll try n start at 9.30 1 group or depending how many turn up 2 groups. Prediction ;;;; Pete Harris to be First back this year if he rides from his excellent form from finishing 3 rd overall in the notts n derby CYCLOX league n for Ben EDDY for winning it. Pete rode the whole route by himself last year after puncturing from the group at the start so finished dead last. thats unless his busy buying Nikki,s stock of suntan cream for her next trip selection for the track world cup in Australia !! WELL DONE Nikki. Evil or Very Mad Razz Cool
TomcaT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Animal is up for some medals!! Laughing Laughing Cool Wink
mark plowright
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: wiford bridge Reply with quote

forgot to put, Simon this Sunday ,, from top.... vale of belvoir ride sunday february 13th 2005. Rolling Eyes
mark plowright
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: bed time Reply with quote

Mad Mad dos,nt anyone go to bed at this time of night , i thought i was the only insomniack !! Shocked Shocked
TomcaT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: bed time Reply with quote

mark plowright wrote:
Mad Mad dos,nt anyone go to bed at this time of night , i thought i was the only insomniack !! Shocked Shocked

I have only been up 20 hours today Exclamation
mark plowright
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: time for bed Reply with quote

ive been up since 7.30am so time for bed , youve beat me . nght nght. Crying or Very sad c yer sundy
TomcaT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: time for bed Reply with quote

mark plowright wrote:
ive been up since 7.30am so time for bed , youve beat me . nght nght. Crying or Very sad c yer sundy

You might... although I could still be in bed!!!
pieman
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Sunday Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, Very Happy

Please see the link for meeting place Wilford Bridge, if you don't already know.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=456922&y=338145&z=1&sv=456750,338250&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

and

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=456895&y=338165&z=3&sv=456500,338500&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=859

Not sure on the cafe Mark, does anyone else know?

PIE
Craig Taylor
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go from wilford bridge down the embankment towards the forest ground there is a little hut thing that sells tea, coffee etc just before the suspension bridge. Not sure if it will be open though.

Have a good ride Very Happy
George Minion
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Wilford bridge Reply with quote

After all the hype then nothing?

What happened ?
Did the Animal lead Team Parrotts kick butts or not ?

Question Question
Craig Taylor
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah weres plowrong "page long report about nothin" when you need him.
mark plowright
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: sprint finish. !! Reply with quote

Very Happy as they went round so fast the the two riders who got back first beat the brewing tea ern back to wilford bridge. they were just infront of the ern so i just did not quite get the photo finish camera set up. got to get a faster kettle. no time to find out that hut was open Craig but thanks anyway keep it in mind for next year. oh yes what about the result , i think about 25 to 30 riders turned up i think. so who was first, well this could be abit biased as Scot Gamble does not come on to this website often unless h,es in disguise so its down to Nigel the Animal White to tell all . those two where approx 15 mins ahead of the the group. im gettin round to sendin the results to Simon ,thought the photos would be back by now so they,ll have to wait. there was some talk of a serious punture at ab kepleby. theres a punture , theres a punture so AJ might enlighten us on this episode as it was quite a serious punture at the time !! How you doin George , hope you are gettin out abit. cuold do with someone like you to lead a steady group next year unless ur in france or spain. well thats a small report on much about nothing for the time being. any1 else got any mini stories of such an adventurous day. Bovale where going well at the start. bye for now. Twisted Evil
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fun on Sunday. Scott was so strong. I don't know why he bothers with a 39 ring and a front derailleur.

Beauvale lit it up on Bunny hill which was a bit daft as nobody had warmed up by then - even Scott said he was in trouble there. They didn't last that long anyway, so I don't know what they were doing.

As usual there was a bagarre on Ab Kettleby. Sherwood man Dave McClean (4th in last year's BUSA national hillclimb) threw down the gaunlet, but faded and of course Scott topped out first.

A few riders went ahead of me on the first steep bit. I have no acceleration whatsoever, and only one speed (dumb tester! Laughing ) but that speed is quite fast and I can "keep it goin'" so I ground up to the small group and pretty soon people started cracking. Me and Stef reached the top just after Dave who was a few yards behind Scott.

Jacko punctured right at the base of the hill - He though this was quite good luck apparently because he had an excuse not to suffer! Laughing

My brother, Giles punctured right at the top in the bitter winds and had to change the tube while sheltering in a ditch! He abandoned and rode home alone right into the headwind all the way through the Vale.

We waited for a few more people thinking we'd get some help from them against the wind. With a group of about 7 just me, Scott and Stef were working with one other guy sitting on and going through like an express train occasionally.

On the climb from Woolsthorpe, Scott seemed to cruise up it while gappnig everyone, and just me and Stef and Llewy got back on. Bloody pikey wouldn't do a stroke of work! Evil or Very Mad Wink

Again out of Denton Scott hit the gas on the steep bit after crossing the A607. Stef cracked and Llewy sat on me while I toiled back to Scott's wheel. We waited for Stef 'cause he was working really hard even though he was hurting. The "once every five minutes express train" guy got back on there too.

From then on it was a hard crosswind along the A607 back to Melton. I think Scott got fed up with Llewy sitting on, so while I hammered up one of those hills, Scott took him out the back, dropped him and then closed the gap to that me and Stef had been working like mad to open.

Stef kept doing his share, and was dropped on Nether Broughton - the last hill in the ride - bad luck! Scott seemed to be cruising up occasinally looking back while I gritted my teeth. The ride from then on seemed quite easy. A dead-on headwind is no problem if you're with someone who works hard - you get a perfect rest between pulls and we were both stomping.

I felt OK after the ride, not too tired. Cool

And before anyone goes on about it being "too early" I don't wanna hear it! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> East Midlands General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: