Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should a stage race be decided on points
Yes
14%
 14%  [ 3 ]
No
85%
 85%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 21

Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

The Darley Moor 2 day is to be decided on points this year. I'm pi$$ed off because this favours the FatRoadieSprinters. I can put 5 minutes into them in the TT, but when I come 54th in the bunch sprint I'm out of the frame.

By all means have a points competition and separate prize, but a stage race is about cumulative time. They tried a points system to decide the overall in the Tour de France - and it didn't last.
digger
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

Animal wrote:
The Darley Moor 2 day is to be decided on points this year. I'm pi$$ed off because this favours the FatRoadieSprinters. I can put 5 minutes into them in the TT, but when I come 54th in the bunch sprint I'm out of the frame.

By all means have a points competition and separate prize, but a stage race is about cumulative time. They tried a points system to decide the overall in the Tour de France - and it didn't last.

See you there Wink !
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

Animal wrote:

Just hang on to Steve's wheel at the finish and he'll take you through! Or we could have a green and yellow train in the last few laps, keeping the speed so high that no-one can get past!
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

Animal wrote:

Better get some sprint training in then eh. Wink

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
George Minion
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
Animal wrote:

Just hang on to Steve's wheel at the finish and he'll take you through! Or we could have a green and yellow train in the last few laps, keeping the speed so high that no-one can get past!

Now thats the answer,go for it but Animal to lead out Steve.
I agree with Animal,stage races should be done on time to encourage attacking racing.
Steve P
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
Animal wrote:

If he can stay upright Wink
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

Animal wrote:

It's not FatRoadieSprinters, it is FatRoadieSitInSprinters. Wink And what's wrong with being one of them? Wink

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a classic tester's whinge. You have to ride to your strengths, so if you can't sprint get up the road!

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

Animal wrote:

You could argue it the other way, that time GC favours testers. Smug tester sits in the road stages and gets an armchair ride all the way around, no break's gonna take 5 minutes, all he's got to to is ride the TT and that's it.

This argument's been used about the TdF since JA started it in 1957.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

Steve P wrote:
Will Scarlet wrote:
Animal wrote:

If he can stay upright Wink

Yes, I see Mr Ican'tsprintinastraightline is also riding.
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Darley Moor 2 day to be decided on a points basis Reply with quote

George Minion wrote:
Now thats the answer,go for it but Animal to lead out Steve.

It wouldn't work. Steve would then end up 53rd. I tell you these big monsters, when they wind it up at Darley it's like I've grabbed a handfull of brake. I start going backwards and I'm stomping on the pedals for all I'm worth and trying to pull the handlebars apart. I don't know what form of energy they use to produce that much power.

I've been doing sprint training too. The rollers from Thurgarton to Southwell, sprinting up them and coasting down. It's just not going to work.

I'm pi$$ed at this totally arbitrary decision. If they'd put some warning in the handbook, then I could have saved myself 30 pounds and a lot of driving. They do it this year when there's no top sponsored team, and no GB squad in it.
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nonsense system. Points competitions are mainly for sprinters. Proper GC is decided on time, only if time is equal at the completion is there a need for a formula to split results, stage placings, points, whetever. What is important is that this is clear to everyone before the start.
And the GC system should be clear before entry. Then riders can vote with their entries (or lack of them).

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Zeco2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockeca wrote:
It's a nonsense system. Points competitions are mainly for sprinters. Proper GC is decided on time, only if time is equal at the completion is there a need for a formula to split results, stage placings, points, whetever. What is important is that this is clear to everyone before the start.
And the GC system should be clear before entry. Then riders can vote with their entries (or lack of them).

Organiser probably couldn't find a Timekeeper (or a suitably qualified Commissaire who could handle a watch?). Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: