Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - How long has the comic got to go?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

How long has the comic got to go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long before Cycling weekly packs up?
Less than 1 year
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Less than two years
29%
 29%  [ 12 ]
less than 5 years
56%
 56%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 41

Vetman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TW@ wrote:
Tony Bell wrote:
CW has most of the RR, track and TT results from the UK every week, it has features which appeal to those who are new to cycling, it has interviews and news from the UK and international racing, and you can even buy bikes and stuff from the ads in the back.

Races - no it doesn't anymore.
News from the UK - more like Keith Binghams latest rant on MPs or cars every week.

Doesn't have anything 'bout tricycle racing though!
mk81
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grega wrote:
Tony Bell wrote:
Okay. I've just had a thought. Tell me what you'd like to see in CW that isn't already there, and I'll see if I can have a chat with the editor. And keep it clean and sensible... Shocked You can even PM me is you like. Laughing

Its the complete dis-regard of Domestic racing, recycled tranning tips, coverage of foreign racing which we can see if we want to in cycle sport, it basically reproduces cycle sport every week. And I can`t stand reading endless reviews of how all the jouno`s in the office buuger off abroad on £4000 bikes, race each other up diffrent mountains week in week out, tell us how hard it is, one review of a ride up a mountain on 39x25 is much the same as another one to me.... But its the dis-regard of British racing I can`t stand, Years ago Rolling Eyes (I know its teduious) But as a junior or your average club rider nothing beats seeing your name in the results, as a junior it gives you something to work for and to strive to achieve, and to me it appears C.W has no interest in this. Perhaps all the jouno`s were crap as racers, never got here name in C.W and are now making up for time!!!!

I back you up on that one.
PNuT

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like all the stuff thats innit @ the moment as it saves me 2 quid a week
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not about content. It's about profit.
Lucho
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
Okay. I've just had a thought. Tell me what you'd like to see in CW that isn't already there, and I'll see if I can have a chat with the editor. And keep it clean and sensible... Shocked You can even PM me is you like. Laughing

Can you ask them to confine the cut and paste of bleeding chunks of news from www.cyclingnews.com to a minimum of 1 page as we can read this stuff for free and won't pay CW for that. Exclusive interviews, coverage of domestic races, a reduced coverage of the pro tour (monthly mags do this best) is the way.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sloathe wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
The next step along the rocky road was that they now required the stuff in QuarkXPress to conform with their paging formats.
Tony is good at this and can lay out a whole newspaper if necessary.
BTW Quark is not cheap to buy as Software as it is Industry standard, much the same as High End Photoshop. Everything you see on the shelves is done this way.

Which magazine asks for this then?
Copy can easily be pasted and formatted from anything from Simpletext to a Word file into Quark and then formatted accordingly. I see no need to ask someone to spend £800+ on software for text only and know of no-one who does this.

I agree with you. I obviously did look into Quark text importation, but about half my stuff contained something tabular, and/or pedigree charts. The totality was that 'Meejah Graduate' was not prepared to take other stuff from the other regular contributors also. So we all packed it in because he couldn't be bothered to find a typist. Enfin, we all decamped to the previous Editor who had had set up a private subscription magazine. The result was that 'Meejah' ruined two popular pages, in addition to readers letters which we could footnote.
Anyway I was still busy with plenty of other stuff.
Willi Tarran
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read through all of the comments on CW in this thread. Like many I used to take out a yearly subscription but did not renew it some years ago and except on rare occassions do not miss it.

BC has all the results I need or want, the UCI website has the others. I am not interested in their equpiment reviews but some of the technical stuff they did in the past was brilliant. Nowadays it seems that advertisers get their stuff reviewed and recommended.

I do miss Tony Bell's acerbic comments.

IMHO it started going down hill when it got involved on one side of the Tony Doyle/Ian Emmerson row in 1996/7. It was then it started printing lies.

FInally I do not understand this obsession that we have in society that journalists are some sort of conscience of the nation and somehow have an insight into the motivation and reasons for events. Journalists are there to report facts not to embelish them, they are to assist in recording history not make it . Leader columns are the place for opinion and we can argue with them on the basis that they are opinions.

IPC Media do not run Cycling Weekley as a social experiment, they run it for profit. However the Editor delivers profit (that is sales plus adverts less legal costs) does not matter, it is the bottom line profit that is the driver.

The only way to change CW is to effect the profit and stop buying it.

I do not like to hark back to the halycon days of the 1970's and 1980's but my copies do give a great deal more information on domestic racing, for International Racing we used to have International Cycle Sport and for and slandererous digs Pro News.

I will not regret the demise of CW but I do regret the demise of Pro News and ICS

Willi Tarran
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CW started going downhill when Tony Bell got a column.

Only jokn Tony mate!

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Pro News was good - who put it together?
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De Rosa wrote:
I thought Pro News was good - who put it together?

John McKenzie, generally a good guy, although God knows how he got away with the racist stuff which appeared in ProNews. John - who died in 1984 - was one of my sponsors for my ill-fated and short lived pro career...
And as far as I know, John used to write the 'Hans Groper' column, a monthly rant which made my stuff look like something out of The People's Friend...
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Hans Groper though I can't quite remember the exact content. For some reason I seem to remember that I thought it was Pete Duker - or was he a contributor or something. I think he died? Lived in Germany? Or am I totally muddled up?
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right there, Guy. Not sure if it was Duker or McKenzie who penned Hans Groper and I think Duker did live in Germany for a while. Sad and tragic end to his life. He commited suicide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: