Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Large outdoor or small indoor tracks?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Large outdoor or small indoor tracks?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Large outdoor or small indoor tracks?
Outdoor Track racing
63%
 63%  [ 12 ]
Indoor track racing
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 19

Pocket Rocket
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Large outdoor or small indoor tracks? Reply with quote

What do you prefer, the fresh air and large bunches an of outdoor track racing or the fast smooth racing in an indoor velodrome
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question large outdoor is the best for me, However small and indoors seems to suit you!
TREK
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to look back now, I'am sort of pleased that I had the opportunity to ride both. Some of the history at the old tracks was awesome.
I think that sometimes there are limitation with small indoor Velodromes.

But then again indoor you don't have to worry about cancellation.

TREK
Pocket Rocket
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigRobJef wrote:
No question large outdoor is the best for me, However small and indoors seems to suit you!

Calshot does seem to suit me, but I still think you can't beet Welwyn and Herne Hill, especially the bump in the back straight of Welwyn, i'll miss that bump when its re-surfaced Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a bit like swimming pools isn't it! There is nothing better than an outdoor swimming pool on a fine summer's day - you just can't beat it. But when it comes down to the English climate the fact is that indoor tracks are more practical with no cancellations, year round cycling etc etc.

So I would like an indoor track with a sliding roof like The Millennium Stadium please. I just can't understand why the BCF haven't sorted this - it's a disgrace. Wink I am prepared to be flexible about the size just to be reasonable. Shocked

PS Most of us only go to Halesowen for the BarBQ so good air extraction is vital.
Paul Barber
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey we need both - outdoor is great for summer - indoor great for winter
John McC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket Rocket wrote:
...but I still think you can't beet Welwyn and Herne Hill, especially the bump in the back straight of Welwyn, I'll miss that bump when its re-surfaced Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

You are having a laugh. The "dip" in the back straight is absolutely awful. Perhaps it affects 6'3" 13 stone riders a bit more than you, but the number of times I've been "thrown" going over it, I shan't miss it at all. Very Happy
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as with nottinghm, the bumps are only a disadvantage if you are not on the front... Smile they are there to stop the 13 stone blokes getting past you
Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely with Tracks dissappearing quicker than the rain forest it does'nt matter what track it is.
Racing indoors at Manchester is great, fast, smooth no headwind, no rain, but theres nothing better than a day spent soaking up the sun at an outdoor track.
Although many a day has been spent watching a track soak up the rain and many hours waiting for it to dry and then get wet again.
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Pocket Rocket wrote:
...but I still think you can't beet Welwyn and Herne Hill, especially the bump in the back straight of Welwyn, I'll miss that bump when its re-surfaced Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

You are having a laugh. The "dip" in the back straight is absolutely awful. Perhaps it affects 6'3" 13 stone riders a bit more than you, but the number of times I've been "thrown" going over it, I shan't miss it at all. Very Happy

He's only being whistful!
Coggy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them both !
Jimmy Jazz
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leicester, 10pm under floodlights - Perfect...
varno
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ride em both!!!!

There both kin great!!!! I rode the Superdrome in Adelaide last week,it was ace. Just the same as Manchester but with well dark season wood. V quick....

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=182745114790&ref=mf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCZGQ3rMG0
murder trainer
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

varno wrote:
Just ride em both!!!!

There both kin great!!!! I rode the Superdrome in Adelaide last week,it was ace. Just the same as Manchester but with well dark season wood. V quick....

Anyone wanting to make it at the highest level has to know how to ride every sort of track, despite the tendancy towards 250 metre indoor tracks. Hyères is wood, 250 metres and outdoors. Many spoke well of Leicester but once Manchester was planned..........!
Fast or not if you don't know what to do, you'll still not win!

An interesting article in the Ouest-France newspaper today, covering a project to develop track riders mentions there are 17 existing tracks in Brittany alone, whilst there is a project to have a 250 metre indoor track.
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murder trainer wrote:
varno wrote:
Just ride em both!!!!

Anyone wanting to make it at the highest level has to know how to ride every sort of track, despite the tendancy towards 250 metre indoor tracks. Hyères is wood, 250 metres and outdoors. Many spoke well of Leicester but once Manchester was planned..........!
Fast or not if you don't know what to do, you'll still not win!

An interesting article in the Ouest-France newspaper today, covering a project to develop track riders mentions there are 17 existing tracks in Brittany alone, whilst there is a project to have a 250 metre indoor track.

Is that why the French have A B and C teams?
murder trainer
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

varno wrote:
Just ride em both!!!!

Stuart wrote:
Is that why the French have A B and C teams?

Part of the "educational" system is for riders of all ages to mix their racing. At the moment, ie winter-time, there are "Popular Saturday" events for youngsters which attract something like 800 kids each weekend throughout the 4 centres in Brittany. As these youngsters grow and upgrade category they are encouraged to continue riding track, even if the emphasis is on road-racing.
The A,B and C teams one sees in different events is mainly to "blood" young riders, giving them the chance and experience of being part of a team of more experienced elders.
Billynobrakes
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Many spoke well of Leicester but once Manchester was planned..........!

I think Leicester is my favourite track I've ever ridden. The length at 330m was perfect, the 200m line was in the perfect spot for sprinting and the bends were wide enough to actually pass people on them1
Saying that though, it was outdoors which was fantastic in the summer on a beautiful hot day but absolutely crap as soon as it rained.
My perfect solution would be 330m indoor tracks with retractable roofs, surely that would please everyone???......OK well everyone that didn't have to pay for it then!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: