Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Darwin Awards

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Darwin Awards

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro


Joined: 13 Dec 2003
Posts: 4902
Location: Norther than the Northerners

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Darwin Awards Reply with quote

Today's National "25" - already one of the women's contenders been knocked off. Dr Hutch and others commenting on how dangerous the course is - and apparently they are not allowed to have warning signs on the road???

Even worse - do these people realise how utterly ridiculous they look??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veloshooter/7354480572/in/set-72157630086575004

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veloshooter/7354596812/in/set-72157630086575004

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veloshooter/7354596812/in/set-72157630086575004
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DenHaag
E, Gold


Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 3078
Location: Northumberland

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Darwin Awards Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
Today's National "25" - already one of the women's contenders been knocked off. Dr Hutch and others commenting on how dangerous the course is - and apparently they are not allowed to have warning signs on the road???

Even worse - do these people realise how utterly ridiculous they look??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veloshooter/7354480572/in/set-72157630086575004

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veloshooter/7354596812/in/set-72157630086575004

http://www.flickr.com/photos/veloshooter/7354596812/in/set-72157630086575004


I'm sure a large proportion of the general public think that you look like an idiot, taking unecessary risks, when you're just riding your bike. wgaf.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro


Joined: 13 Dec 2003
Posts: 4902
Location: Norther than the Northerners

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who was hit (Jane Kilmartin) apparently has a broken back - they think she'll recover, but not be able to race again. And still the event went ahead...


This part of our sport is insane...
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DenHaag
E, Gold


Joined: 24 Aug 2008
Posts: 3078
Location: Northumberland

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
The person who was hit (Jane Kilmartin) apparently has a broken back - they think she'll recover, but not be able to race again. And still the event went ahead...

This part of our sport is insane...


I suppose my post appears a bit insensitive, with hindsight. I was referring to the second part of your post, which seemed a bit out of place.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zarate
E, Silver


Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Posts: 1925
Location: Your guess is as good as mine, I dunno.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How awful for this lady, and referring to my earlier postings, who is responsible for putting all the riders in this risk position?
Time to take a hard look at themselves. All for a "fast" time...
I just hope she makes a full recovery, and is able to resume normal life again, as hopefully all VRs will do.
_________________
Mexican underwater chili eating champion 1957
Now much nearer to Mexico than the old country.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrissylaa
E, Gold


Joined: 17 Apr 2009
Posts: 3382
Location: On a hillside desolate.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sympathies with the rider.

Doesn't the dangerous nature seem very odd when you read the post about track accreditation a few weeks back. Confused

Get well soon.
_________________
And the senses being dulled are mine.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro


Joined: 13 Dec 2003
Posts: 4902
Location: Norther than the Northerners

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It was really frightening for us ladies on the return leg. Given we go that much slower than the men into headwinds, we are inevitably more unbalanced by the passing lorries. I felt horribly vulnerable out there today. While I might have won a medal, I'm actually kicking myself for riding. It wasn't safe
Quote:

On the way back it was just awful - couldn't see at all and was continuously wiping my visor to clean it, or just riding blind and hoping for no potholes and not to be cleaned up. I sat up several times as I really didn't want to be there, but it was the only way I knew back to the start.
Quote:
When the men started the Police still had the inside lane closed as Jane was still being treated at the roadside.

Utter insanity.

I hope Jane makes the fullest possible recovery in the circumstances and this so called "sport" sorts itself out once and for all.

However, given it was "only" someone very seriously injured and not yet another fatality I doubt it will even register with the tester lemmings...
_________________
...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Zarate
E, Silver


Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Posts: 1925
Location: Your guess is as good as mine, I dunno.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
Quote:
It was really frightening for us ladies on the return leg. Given we go that much slower than the men into headwinds, we are inevitably more unbalanced by the passing lorries. I felt horribly vulnerable out there today. While I might have won a medal, I'm actually kicking myself for riding. It wasn't safe
Quote:

On the way back it was just awful - couldn't see at all and was continuously wiping my visor to clean it, or just riding blind and hoping for no potholes and not to be cleaned up. I sat up several times as I really didn't want to be there, but it was the only way I knew back to the start.
Quote:
When the men started the Police still had the inside lane closed as Jane was still being treated at the roadside.

Utter insanity.

I hope Jane makes the fullest possible recovery in the circumstances and this so called "sport" sorts itself out once and for all.

However, given it was "only" someone very seriously injured and not yet another fatality I doubt it will even register with the tester lemmings...


And the organisers thought they would start the men off when there was already a serious injury being treated in lane 1, leaving the men to risk being in lane 2 with all the traffic trying to pass as well. As a definition of utter callous stupidity, that's pretty much on the button.
Couldn't the great God time just have waited a while? Not according to CTT? No wonder they don't have anyone properly in charge at these events, and sane BC commissaire would havenot let the thing start unless the road was clear and as safe as it can be on a course where plenty of trucks are ploughing past in the wet.
Utter lunacy prevails.
_________________
Mexican underwater chili eating champion 1957
Now much nearer to Mexico than the old country.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bally
Div 2 Pro


Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 5663

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarate wrote:
And the organisers thought they would start the men off when there was already a serious injury being treated in lane 1, leaving the men to risk being in lane 2 with all the traffic trying to pass as well. As a definition of utter callous stupidity, that's pretty much on the button.

From the TT forum I understand the road was clear and Jayne had been taken to hospital before the any of the men started.
_________________
Bally: Putting the @rse into Grass.
www.easterleycycling.org.uk/CycleStatsLite.exe for Gears, Revs, Speed, BBAR calc, Pursuit Scheduling etc.
"your power is truly awesome" - John McC
"real class" - George Gilbert"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Zarate
E, Silver


Joined: 27 Sep 2005
Posts: 1925
Location: Your guess is as good as mine, I dunno.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am corrected on that point. The essential lunacy of running a "race of truth" - NOT) on a DC with trucks passing, just so someone can do 25 miles in under 50 minutes, in poor weather conditions, remains.
_________________
Mexican underwater chili eating champion 1957
Now much nearer to Mexico than the old country.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
16mm
E, Silver


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 533

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bally wrote:
Zarate wrote:
And the organisers thought they would start the men off when there was already a serious injury being treated in lane 1, leaving the men to risk being in lane 2 with all the traffic trying to pass as well. As a definition of utter callous stupidity, that's pretty much on the button.

From the TT forum I understand the road was clear and Jayne had been taken to hospital before the any of the men started.


Phew, I thought we had a problem there Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bally
Div 2 Pro


Joined: 11 Aug 2004
Posts: 5663

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16mm wrote:
Bally wrote:
Zarate wrote:
And the organisers thought they would start the men off when there was already a serious injury being treated in lane 1, leaving the men to risk being in lane 2 with all the traffic trying to pass as well. As a definition of utter callous stupidity, that's pretty much on the button.

From the TT forum I understand the road was clear and Jayne had been taken to hospital before the any of the men started.


Phew, I thought we had a problem there Rolling Eyes

I wasn't giving an opinion of the right or wrongs of racing on dual carriageways one way or the other - just correcting Zarate who had given the impression that things were a lot worse than they actually were (i.e. "leaving the men to risk being in lane 2 with all the traffic trying to pass as well").

I've done my fair share of TT'ing on DC's in the past but rarely do so now - much depends on the actual road. I drove past an event being held on the A1 a couple of years ago just north of Newark in heavy traffic on a Saturday afternoon and thought the riders were mad plus it didn't give a good impression of cycling time trials full stop.

However I did ride the E2 once last year where the traffic was quite light and thought it was OK.
_________________
Bally: Putting the @rse into Grass.
www.easterleycycling.org.uk/CycleStatsLite.exe for Gears, Revs, Speed, BBAR calc, Pursuit Scheduling etc.
"your power is truly awesome" - John McC
"real class" - George Gilbert"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
16mm
E, Silver


Joined: 13 Mar 2007
Posts: 533

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bally wrote:
16mm wrote:
Bally wrote:
Zarate wrote:
And the organisers thought they would start the men off when there was already a serious injury being treated in lane 1, leaving the men to risk being in lane 2 with all the traffic trying to pass as well. As a definition of utter callous stupidity, that's pretty much on the button.

From the TT forum I understand the road was clear and Jayne had been taken to hospital before the any of the men started.


Phew, I thought we had a problem there Rolling Eyes

I wasn't giving an opinion of the right or wrongs of racing on dual carriageways one way or the other - just correcting Zarate who had given the impression that things were a lot worse than they actually were (i.e. "leaving the men to risk being in lane 2 with all the traffic trying to pass as well").

I've done my fair share of TT'ing on DC's in the past but rarely do so now - much depends on the actual road. I drove past an event being held on the A1 a couple of years ago just north of Newark in heavy traffic on a Saturday afternoon and thought the riders were mad plus it didn't give a good impression of cycling time trials full stop.

However I did ride the E2 once last year where the traffic was quite light and thought it was OK.

Sorry, sarcasm was for the organisers, not your post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Important Notice: VeloRiders copyrights all images appearing on this website and in the Gallery. Images are displayed for viewing only, and commercial or personal use of any of these images without the written permission of VeloRiders is prohibited under international copyright law. Copyright 2002/2013 VeloRiders. All rights reserved.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

E-mail VeloRiders. Comments, questions or send your photos to , Order your photos@

RSS News Feed
aegishosting