Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Mallory Park ....................to be sold for housing !!

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Mallory Park ....................to be sold for housing !!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> East Midlands General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Martin Booth
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Mallory Park ....................to be sold for housing !! Reply with quote

Without wishing to be to alarmist............there is a good chance that the circuit will be sold for to housing developer Wilson homes in the very near future.There have been complaints from local residents about the noise from the circuit,and the local district council have taken those very seriously.The circuit needs the usage it has at present to be a financially viable proposition to its lease holders and the owner ,Yorkshire businessman Mr Chris Meek.A meeting is due to take place tomorrow night (Wednesday)to discuss viable alternatives for the circuit use,and according to Motor Cycle race media, if a solution is not worked out the circuit could be sold sooner rather than later.
Brian1946
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame, I haven't raced on it but the first thing to strike me was why choose to live near a race circuit then complain about the noise!!!

But... I don't have any real idea of what's needed to make it viable and acceptable, sorry.!
AlbertHerring
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public meeting called off, apparently. From No Limits Trackdays' FB page:

Quote:
News Confirmed; it seems the little guys do have a voice?

It's just been officially confirmed that the opposing residents and council liaison committee have just cancelled the public meeting planned for tomorrow.
It may just be a stay of execution but as it stands, the battle has been won but the war is far from over!
I can say the circuit does not want to sell. In fact there grateful for our support and hope we will continue emailing the council opposing any proposed plans that is still pending. We have been in contact with the local residents support committee against the plans. We thank them for there continued support. Also a huge thank you to all you guys and girls out there that has got involved with this. We also ask anybody who has not emailed yet to consider spending a few moments to email there opposition to any plans that effectively makes the track unable to operate with such restrictive conditions.

Please email steve.atkinson@hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk with your opposition to the effective circuit closure BUT Please keep it polite.

(note) you will get a genetic email response stating "there not planning on forcing the track closure" However pending restrictive measures renders the track unsuitable for motorsports so its a game of words.
Thank you all.

Given that cycling is flavour of the month we should probably get involved there as well.
Aubisque
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eek.

My summers wouldn't be the same without Mallory, I have enjoyed both driving round it and cycle racing on it.

It's a great facility, need to keep it alive.
Martin Booth
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: mallory park Reply with quote

................yes it would be a good idea for people to e mail the council to support the circuit,as,at the moment the circuit is way over its allowed usage days.And if it is forced to compromise ,and is forced to stick to its allowed quota of usage its highly likely that non-income events will be at the very least stopped totally.
highlandpro
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've Just Emailed the Council mate also I'm going to Organise all the Mallory in August and Setember on behalf of Clay Cross Road Team.

www.wheelsmith.co.uk
www.metaltek.co.uk
www.nottinghamforest.co.uk
www.meltonolympic.co.uk
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emailed them but to be fair to the locals it seems Mallory want to increase the allowed usage days way above the current 90 odd to about 160 - it's not that the locals want to change the status quo - it's the track that want to use it more often than has been allowed for the past 27 years.

I'm guessing that bicycle racing is not going to count as an allowed usage day - as we don't make much noise - they'll be talking about limiting motorsport. In fact if they allow 160 days of motorsport then it might even mean some of the evenings we use are taken up by track days or suchlike. I do wonder if the story about selling it for housing is just to put the frighteners on the locals that their village might double in size and to generate a bit of publicity for their campaign to get more days motorsport.
Daphne Brackett
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlandpro wrote:
I've Just Emailed the Council mate also I'm going to Organise all the Mallory in August and Setember on behalf of Clay Cross Road Team.

That's kind of you but the last race of the Mallory Circuit races is 1st Aug so you won't have too much to do.
Martin Booth
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: mallory Reply with quote

i see what you say tom but are you saying that all competitors are some how teleported to the circuit twice a week !!i know your not but all that traffic does have an effect.Look i'll tell you this I have been a Mallory supporter for longer than i can remember,seen and heard Graham Hill racing Jaguar saloon cars,watched and heard the wonderful Mike Hailwood on the 297 Honda six,and seen Ayrton Senna testing Formula Three cars there.I know what happens there on a weekly basis.The circuit usage is above what it should be NOW,42 days of racing,approx 44 days of official testing ,track days virtually every saturday throughout the year,private testing etc etc,.and that does'nt include the moto cross,which due to the use of 4 strokes now has become much more of a problem all over the country.Now believe me the usage for cycling was in part done to appease local government,a way of saying look what we are doing to help other sports,as were a number of charity events and the occasional running races.I know this because I negotiated the use of the circuit,negotiated the dropping of the entry fee ,and still have dealings on occasion with the circuit management.the potential for loosing the usage for cycling is real!!
Martin Booth
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Mallory park Reply with quote

Just as a little foot note Tom.Technically the circuit should not be used for "activities" after 5 o'clock in the evening.
maryhinge
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Statment from Hinkley and Bosworth Borough Council http://www.hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk/press/article/1270/mallory_park
Aubisque
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=27277
Mr.B
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic example of the private sector not taking external costs into account.

It's been a long time since I raced there (so I don't remember the exact topography of the site) but, assuming it is noise that is the main problem (rather than congestion and local air quality effects) perhaps the solution would be for the circuit's management to pay for remediation measures (in line with 'polluter pays principle') e.g. put up more/higher fencing, pay for double glazing for those affected and plant trees around the edge of the circuit?

As others have said would be a pity for all concerned to lose this facility.
Mr.B
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yeah, the public sector would do a much better job

Where does my post say that the public sector should take over??? There are government failures and there are market failures; this is an example of the latter. The existence of a market failure does not automatically imply that the government would do a better job.

Sometimes the government can create/reinforce property rights to help ameliroate the problem, other times regulations (such as the max number of track days) might be more appropriate. Apparently here that is not enough, so further measures, along the lines I have suggested, might be appropriate.

I've worked in both the public and private sector and they each have their place. Fwiw I doubt it would be optimal for a public sector body to run a race track, even if they would be less likely to 'ignore' external costs.
Mr.B
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where does my post say that your post says that the public sector should take over?

It's implied, innit? Laughing
AlbertHerring
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, logically, if it was run on a modest loss-making basis (in pure financial terms) by an organisation of any nature that could absorb such a loss, such as the public purse, then it should be possible to protect the general utility that the facility provides against a need to increase negative externalities such as noise pollution because of external financial circumstances. But it seems unlikely that an accountant-engineered solution will be much good to anybody.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a country we need homes more than we need chipper races

I'm a qualified coach.
AlbertHerring
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPWM. Although not the sort of houses that would inevitably be built there by a property developer, so council estate it is, then.
John McC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
As a country we need homes more than we need chipper races

We can have both.
Mr.B
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, logically, if it was run on a modest loss-making basis (in pure financial terms) by an organisation of any nature that could absorb such a loss, such as the public purse, then it should be possible to protect the general utility that the facility provides against a need to increase negative externalities such as noise pollution because of external financial circumstances. But it seems unlikely that an accountant-engineered solution will be much good to anybody.

Wow, this is possibly even more opaque than my post! Very Happy The main point I was trying to make is that there are ways to limit the noise impact of increased events - through double glazing provision, additional fencing etc - if they are required to keep the circuit financially viable.

Oh, and in the unlikely event that you are accusing me of being an accountant, I'd like to go on the record to say that I am not, nor have I ever been Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> East Midlands General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: