Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - National '10'

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

National '10'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win it?
Hutch
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Dangerfield
63%
 63%  [ 24 ]
Kev
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Zac
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
anyone else?...
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Bonger
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 38

PNuT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is actually a few days early for this poll? we dont know who is riding yet....

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
Emma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abby wrote:
I believe Bonger thinks he can place in the event, though why he's not being forthcoming telling us all is beyond me, as he's usually forthright!

Dangerfield
Hutch
Zak Carr if he rides
Chris Ball
Bradley Wiggins if he entered
Kev Dawson
Obree - yep I agree he'd have a great chance if he's trained right

It doesn't prove who is the fastest unless all the fastest are there anyway!

Plus it can largely depend on who catches the best traffic flow like at the Nat 25 up in Cumbria a year or two ago when Dangerfield had a mega long stream of traffic (some may say suspiciously long thanks to a "helper" driving quite slow and then turning off! - allegedly!) which allowed him to catch up the 30 secs he was down on Hutch and take more out of him in the last 3 miles or so!

Maybe we should have a national 10 done on a static trainer, same bike, same atmospheric conditions, tyre pressures, rolling resistance, etc, or maybe not! Happy testing and arguing folks!

Well why shouldn't Craig think he might have a chance? Not much point in riding it other wise is there?
TomcaT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANIMAL Exclamation
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma wrote:
Abby wrote:
I believe Bonger thinks he can place in the event, though why he's not being forthcoming telling us all is beyond me, as he's usually forthright!

Dangerfield
Hutch
Zak Carr if he rides
Chris Ball
Kev Dawson

Plus it can largely depend on who catches the best traffic flow like at the Nat 25 up in Cumbria a year or two ago when Dangerfield had a mega long stream of traffic (some may say suspiciously long thanks to a "helper" driving quite slow and then turning off! - allegedly!) which allowed him to catch up the 30 secs he was down on Hutch and take more out of him in the last 3 miles or so!

Maybe we should have a national 10 done on a static trainer, same bike, same atmospheric conditions, tyre pressures, rolling resistance, etc, or maybe not! Happy testing and arguing folks!

Well why shouldn't Craig think he might have a chance? Not much point in riding it other wise is there?

No-one said anything about Bonger not having a chance at a placing, or have I mis-read the post by Abby?

People mainly ride TT's to compare themselves against the best and get PB's when they know full well they have no chance of winning/placing, otherwise surely there'd only be 10 or so entries (or less) from those that believed they could win each event?
bonger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, Abby never said anything about me not having a chance, that was me that said that, he/she was coming from a totally different angle whatever that was.
I think alot of people do the champs to see how far off the fast boys they are.
I still have no idea if i am in as i couldn't contact the organiser, and he hasn't returned my calls.
James
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by James on Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite a few people i have talked to, do championship events for the atmosphere of a big/important race with usually the best riders there.

Cycling Bargains Dealfinder @ https://cycling-bargains.co.uk?utm_source=VeloridersSignature
Twitter @ https://twitter.com/BargainsCycling
Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/cyclebargains
incitatus
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine any of the British team pursuit squad have the capacity to do a rapid time. Unless they are otherwise engaged......
Emma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
Emma wrote:
Abby wrote:

Dangerfield
Hutch
Zak Carr if he rides
Chris Ball
Kev Dawson

No-one said anything about Bonger not having a chance at a placing, or have I mis-read the post by Abby?

People mainly ride TT's to compare themselves against the best and get PB's when they know full well they have no chance of winning/placing, otherwise surely there'd only be 10 or so entries (or less) from those that believed they could win each event?

People who are in with a shout ride the national championships to win a medal or finish in a high placing, not to get a PB!(in my very humble opinion)
PNuT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma wrote:
Gary K wrote:
Emma wrote:
Abby wrote:

Dangerfield
Hutch
Zak Carr if he rides
Chris Ball
Kev Dawson

People who are in with a shout ride the national championships to win a medal or finish in a high placing, not to get a PB!(in my very humble opinion)

is that why 155 riders entered the national 100 last year?

Emma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
Emma wrote:
Gary K wrote:
Emma wrote:
Abby wrote:

Dangerfield
Hutch
Zak Carr if he rides
Chris Ball
Kev Dawson

is that why 155 riders entered the national 100 last year?

I said people who have a realistic chance Rolling Eyes
PNuT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you just stating the obvious then? are you trying to say dangerfeild enters the national 10 to win it? rather than he enters it for a pb???

you learn something new everyday Rolling Eyes

Emma

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
are you just stating the obvious then? are you trying to say dangerfeild enters the national 10 to win it? rather than he enters it for a pb???

you learn something new everyday Rolling Eyes

I was originally answering Gary K! Rolling Eyes But yes of course I must have been stating the obvious being female and not being allowed to express a considered opinion Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
bonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exellent, i am on the poll. I think Stoo should be in the poll before i am though. And Carl Saint, Richard Bradley, Julian Ramsbottom, Matt Botrill, Mark Atkinson etc etc etc.
Shame i wasted my vote on Dangerfield.
Disco Inferno
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already said I think Matt Bottrill will do a ride on the day. The course is hard and the return leg is a lot harder than the outward journey.
bonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco Inferno wrote:
As already said I think Matt Bottrill will do a ride on the day. The course is hard and the return leg is a lot harder than the outward journey.
What do you mean by hard? I heard it is flat.
Botrill is always close.
Disco Inferno
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
Disco Inferno wrote:
Botrill is always close.

Yes it is relatively flat, but the road surface when you come of the A1 is heavy. This makes the return journey feel a lot slower and harder work than the A1 stretch.

There are also bends and some humpback bridges on the way back. However it is about 6 miles out and 4 back, so most of the race is on the A1 anyway.
bonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco Inferno wrote:
bonger wrote:
Disco Inferno wrote:
Botrill is always close.

Yes it is relatively flat, but the road surface when you come of the A1 is heavy. This makes the return journey feel a lot slower and harder work than the A1 stretch.

There are also bends and some humpback bridges on the way back. However it is about 6 miles out and 4 back, so most of the race is on the A1 anyway.
Bends and bridges, what is this the national champs or a trials circus?
PNuT

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the a10/20 is one of the easiest 10 courses out there!! its nearer 5.5 on the a1 & 4.5 off...... i had heard the section off the a1 had been resurfaced? but i cant confirm that.....

even a roadie without someone to follow would cope with this course ok Wink

Disco Inferno
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
the a10/20 is one of the easiest 10 courses out there!! its nearer 5.5 on the a1 & 4.5 off...... i had heard the section off the a1 had been resurfaced? but i cant confirm that.....

even a roadie without someone to follow would cope with this course ok Wink

Not sure that it is easy Rolling Eyes

Well the B road hadn't been resurfaced last weekend, but the A1 surface was good. The A1 stretch can be ridden at at least 30mph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: