Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - More Youth Events

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

More Youth Events
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

More Youth Events or Not
Yes
72%
 72%  [ 21 ]
No
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
Dont Care
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 29

Craig Brocklesby
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: More Youth Events Reply with quote

lo all im new 2 this forum, but ny way Very Happy

I was going to ride the 2 day youth race near patsull and in cosford on the 2 and 3rd of May but unfortunatly not being told by any one i need a license i was not able to race, but there should be more youth events like it not just 1 per year but more, if any one knows of any youth races other than the westpark ones can they post them here with details please or someone out there organise more...ill evan help Razz

Thanks Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Iffacus
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lichfield City 3-4 July
Craig Brocklesby
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any details like numbers i can get my dad 2 phone n will i need a BC License
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
digger
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres loads of racing (nealy every week of the year!) not just the two day. Send me a "PM" for more details. Also i would advise you to get a BC Liscence.
Regards,
Dig's Very Happy
Craig Brocklesby
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ye have done talk on msn my msn addy is yorkshire_born_n_bread_990@hotmail.com and if any yourth riders wanna add me or any one who knows about races n rides just add i wanna know more
John Williams
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger wrote:
Theres loads of racing (nealy every week of the year!) not just the two day. Send me a "PM" for more details. Also i would advise you to get a BC Liscence.
Regards,
Dig's Very Happy

Loads of youth racing ?
Beleve me digger, we used to have, once.
That was when shops did not open on sundays in town centers or speed bumps in town centers.
Anyone remember the Sun-Pat GP in Glossop ? noticed they had put speed bumps on our old finishing street (Howard St) last week.
No - youth's don't have loads of choice any more. Crying or Very sad

But if you are over 14 and up to it you can always ride a TLI handicap road race or crit. Very Happy

http://www.t-l-i.org
THE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
Craig Brocklesby
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol im 13, 14 10th June but i know wat ill do know
get a license and just ask digga wat races hes doin n follow Razz

its much easyer
ray stuart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know who John Williams is but he writes a load of rubbish on this site.[quote]No - youth's don't have loads of choice any more. [/quote]
Just go to www.britishcycling.org.uk and select "2004 Calender"/ "May" and you will see that all 5 events advertised for tomorrow (Tues) have Youth Category Races. A quick scan through the calender shows that most weeks have a couple of weekday evening events and usually more than one at weekends. In addition to this there are various track leagues all of which cater for u16s and its also worth looking at British Schools Cycling Association (BSCA) for events in all disciplines. And in the Autumn/Winter there are lots of BC Cyclo-Cross events which always have Youth Races.
More than enough for starters. And if you show potential there are various programmes within BC to take you further.
What you need to do:
a) get a BC licence
b) join a local club which is BC registered and which caters for young riders. The BC website or your local BC club development officer can help with selecting a suitable club.
You could even look at the TLI website but it is pretty naff so I'm afraid you won't be impressed. [and before you TLI types get on - it actually is NAFF - its not doing you any favors - sorry]
Craig Brocklesby
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks im gonna look at gettin a BSCA and a BC one cuz i got a webby now for a load of youth eventshttp://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/halesowencycling/Youth%20Calendar%202004.htm takes a while to load up though Sad

thanks though i just wish someone told me i need a lisence to race its so guttin wen u woke up at 7am wen normaly get up at 1pm and got 2 race HQ 2 find out i need a license.... Bluddy British Cycling why cant they make it easyer Mad
swifty
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: MORE YOUTH RACES!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I AGREE WITH MR STUART, THERE ARE A LOT OF YOUTH RACES ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, THE BSCA, IS A GOOD WAY TO GET STARTED. ALSO BUY THE CYCLING WEEKLY MAG THAT TELLS YOU ABOUT RACES THAT ARE ON IN YOUR AREA. YOU COULD HAVE TAKEN OUT A DAY LICENCE FOR THE RACE YOU TURNED UP FOR. GETTING A LICENCE COVERS YOU IN MANY WAYS, YOU CAN GET A BRONZE SILVER ARE GOLD LICENCE. I DO NOT THINK YOU SHOULD BE SWEARING ABOUT AN ORGANIZATION YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT, IT IS AN INSULT ALSO TO THE MANY BRITISH VOLUNTEERS THAT SPEND HOURS ORGANIZING EVENTS, ALSO IN SOME VERY BAD CONDITIONS, BUT THEY KEEP GOING YEAR AFTER YEAR, AND PUT ON SOME GREAT RACES.WE HAVE BEEN RACING FOR OVER 10 YEARS, AND WE HAVE NEVER BEEN SHORT OF RACES TO GO TO, INFACT SOME WEEKS TO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM,WE HAVE RACED AT WEEKEND S AND IN THE WEEK. AND PLEASE DO NOT INSULT THE BC, JUST BECAUSE YOU DID NOT GET A LICENCE. I BELIEVE YOU NEED A LICENCE TO FISH!!!!! AND FOR MANY OTHER SPORTS!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
THIS TUESDAY MALORY PARK

SWIFTYS MUM
Craig Brocklesby
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not the BC races because ye your right alot of organisation goes into it, but what im saying is that they should make day licenses avalibal
Emma

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: MORE YOUTH RACES!!!!!!! Reply with quote

swifty wrote:
I AGREE WITH MR STUART, THERE ARE A LOT OF YOUTH RACES ALL OVER THE COUNTRY, THE BSCA, IS A GOOD WAY TO GET STARTED. ALSO BUY THE CYCLING WEEKLY MAG THAT TELLS YOU ABOUT RACES THAT ARE ON IN YOUR AREA. YOU COULD HAVE TAKEN OUT A DAY LICENCE FOR THE RACE YOU TURNED UP FOR. GETTING A LICENCE COVERS YOU IN MANY WAYS, YOU CAN GET A BRONZE SILVER ARE GOLD LICENCE. I DO NOT THINK YOU SHOULD BE SWEARING ABOUT AN ORGANIZATION YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT, IT IS AN INSULT ALSO TO THE MANY BRITISH VOLUNTEERS THAT SPEND HOURS ORGANIZING EVENTS, ALSO IN SOME VERY BAD CONDITIONS, BUT THEY KEEP GOING YEAR AFTER YEAR, AND PUT ON SOME GREAT RACES.WE HAVE BEEN RACING FOR OVER 10 YEARS, AND WE HAVE NEVER BEEN SHORT OF RACES TO GO TO, INFACT SOME WEEKS TO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM,WE HAVE RACED AT WEEKEND S AND IN THE WEEK. AND PLEASE DO NOT INSULT THE BC, JUST BECAUSE YOU DID NOT GET A LICENCE. I BELIEVE YOU NEED A LICENCE TO FISH!!!!! AND FOR MANY OTHER SPORTS!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
THIS TUESDAY MALORY PARK

SWIFTYS MUM

I think that once you know how BC and the various other cycling bodies work it's fine but it's obvious that Craig doesn't and is maybe quite new to the sport or racing. Maybe you have never been short of races because you know where to look for them! Perhaps it is a reflection on the sport of cycling and it's difficulties getting new blood involved in the sport the way new comers to the forum are jumped on quite so hard!!! Rolling Eyes
John Williams
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know who John Williams is but he writes a load of rubbish on this site.
Quote:
No - youth's don't have loads of choice any more.

So are you saying that we have more events for youths now than we had in the 80s ?

http://www.t-l-i.org
THE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
Des

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the North west John, but certainly in London and the South East, there seems to be more youth racing (and also better organised across age ranges) than when I first started racing 25 years ago, then we had the occasional Eastway, series of crits at Kodaks Hemel, and the occassional toen centre crit. Now there is Eastway (BC & TLI)and Hillingdon at least twice a week respectivly, North Weald(TLI), Palmer park, Crystal palce is back next week. Ok we have lost most of the town centre crits, but these have been replaced by purpose built facilities better suited to introduce newcomers to the sport in a safe environment.
The bullet
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very hard sport to start racing in unless you have parents etc. who know the score. i think it is very hard to get started in racing as a youth as the cost initially is large and if you dont have supportive parents to be a taxi service and write the cheques then its very difficult to start.
Des

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW who told you you couldn't get a day licence, BC have been operating this for years now Rolling Eyes
AndyB
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: MORE YOUTH RACES!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Emma wrote:
swifty wrote:
THIS TUESDAY MALORY PARK

SWIFTYS MUM

I think that once you know how BC and the various other cycling bodies work it's fine but it's obvious that Craig doesn't and is maybe quite new to the sport or racing. Maybe you have never been short of races because you know where to look for them! Perhaps it is a reflection on the sport of cycling and it's difficulties getting new blood involved in the sport the way new comers to the forum are jumped on quite so hard!!! Rolling Eyes

I will second this, BC has a big problem in advertising its own sport then is quick to complain when new blood doesnt come in.

Craig best bet is to get your dad to contact British Cycling on 0870 871 2000 and get the information direct from them. If you like what you hear from them get yourself a racing license enter a couple of local races and then just enjoy it !
Wise old man
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swifty wrote:
THIS TUESDAY MALORY PARK

SWIFTYS MUM

I do not think that he was slagging off the BCF at all . I totaly agree with him as when i came from doing TTs where you just posted your form off and that was that , to doing RRs where you needed a license it was a big shock to me.And at first it seemed very expensive. If he isnt in a club which can inform him about this how would he know? I beleive that its common knowledge how to get into sports like football and "fishing" but cycling is in its own world seperated from everywhere else. I had to make a lot of effort to get into cycling and I didnt know where to start.Also isnt a day license about £12?? Race wise if your near london then you have more than enough races . Other areas arnt as good for youth riding. I don't think having a go at young riders is really being very helpful espec as your son (from his photo) looks of a similar age.
Jonny H
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: More Youth Events Reply with quote

Craig Brocklesby wrote:
lo all im new 2 this forum, but ny way Very Happy

I was going to ride the 2 day youth race near patsull and in cosford on the 2 and 3rd of May but unfortunatly not being told by any one i need a license i was not able to race, but there should be more youth events like it not just 1 per year but more, if any one knows of any youth races other than the westpark ones can they post them here with details please or someone out there organise more...ill evan help Razz

Thanks Very Happy

I had the same problem but I think yuou will find that are many other races organised by Richard Penn and Rob Murphy in the youth area you just havfe to e-mail them to find out when! And if you live local that is great!
Jonny H
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Brocklesby wrote:
any details like numbers i can get my dad 2 phone n will i need a BC License

It is usally bsca! That means you can ride without alicense oram i wrong?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: