Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Road Race Tactics

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Road Race Tactics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Whats the best tactics to employ during a road race
Go with every attack
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Only go with the winning attack
53%
 53%  [ 34 ]
Only go with every third attack
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Don't attack, wait for bunch sprint
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
Don't attack, sit at back thinking of a good excuse for being crap
17%
 17%  [ 11 ]
Pretend its a TT and sit at the front then get wasted in the sprint
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 64

Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Richard Lodge wrote:
Example - Tour of the Reservoir last weekend
Break goes early with 4 ReCyclings (none left behind) and 2 Planet X's (but Mark Lovatt chasing behind) - would you expect Planet X's to work/sit on/something else ?

I wasn't there so I don't know what they actually did, nor whether they knew how strong/weak Mark Lovatt might be on the day? Only info I have is the report in Cycling Weekly.
You'd expect them to work. They'd rather be in a break than in a bunch and take their chances.
Sit in.

It can't get better for the 4 ReCyclings; if they got away with no company at all, then the whole bunch would be chasing them. They will work hard to stay away, whether or not anyone's with them. Then when they're assured of staying away they'll start working the Planet Xs over, so the Planet Xs need to save their strength.
Sit in and the Recyclings would start attacking, one after the other making the Planet X's bring them back every time...

Better to get to the sharp end of the race before playing games.
So you've now argued both sides; if they work, as you first proposed, the Recyclings will attack one after the other (or whatever 'working over' tactic they muster) anyway, and the Xs will be weaker for having worked. Recyclings will of course not start the one-after-the-other attacking until they are assured of staying away to the end.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Richard Lodge wrote:
Break goes early with 4 ReCyclings (none left behind) and 2 Planet X's (but Mark Lovatt chasing behind) - would you expect Planet X's to work/sit on/something else ?

I wasn't there so I don't know what they actually did, nor whether they knew how strong/weak Mark Lovatt might be on the day? Only info I have is the report in Cycling Weekly.
You'd expect them to work. They'd rather be in a break than in a bunch and take their chances.
Sit in.

It can't get better for the 4 ReCyclings; if they got away with no company at all, then the whole bunch would be chasing them. They will work hard to stay away, whether or not anyone's with them. Then when they're assured of staying away they'll start working the Planet Xs over, so the Planet Xs need to save their strength.
Sit in and the Recyclings would start attacking, one after the other making the Planet X's bring them back every time...

So you've now argued both sides; if they work, as you first proposed, the Recyclings will attack one after the other (or whatever 'working over' tactic they muster) anyway, and the Xs will be weaker for having worked. Recyclings will of course not start the one-after-the-other attacking until they are assured of staying away to the end.

If they work they will stay away, if they don't it makes that much harder.

The odd's are against them how ever you look at it so the best bet is to work and opimise the chances of the best placing possible. Sitting in is a 3/J tactic in this scenario. If there was only one of them then they'd sit in.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Chr!s B.
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot the 'average third cat' tactic and 'attack everytime you can see your family'.. Laughing
Stuart

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chr!s B. wrote:
You forgot the 'average third cat' tactic and 'attack everytime you can see your family'.. Laughing

Shushy! That's a secret! Laughing
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me the best tactic is to pick the potential winners and follow them. If they go with a break, you go with it.

Round here, if you follow Scott Gamble around, you'll be there or thereabouts at the finish.
SMB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
Seems to me the best tactic is to pick the potential winners and follow them. If they go with a break, you go with it.

Round here, if you follow Scott Gamble around, you'll be there or thereabouts at the finish.

If you can!!

Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:

That's what I tend to do. Doesn't really work though. Confused

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
stretch armstrong
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Richard Lodge wrote:

Sit in.

Shocked by crikey you lot don't arf overcomplicate things! Shocked Laughing

Putting the dross back in Clay Cross (RT)
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Richard Lodge wrote:

Sit in.

If they work they will stay away, if they don't it makes that much harder.

The odd's are against them how ever you look at it so the best bet is to work and opimise the chances of the best placing possible. Sitting in is a 3/J tactic in this scenario. If there was only one of them then they'd sit in.
Of course the other option here is to attack the Recycling team - make them chase, despite the greater odds...

Paul
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Stuart wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
sachs huret wrote:
My favourite tactic is to hang on for as long as possible and hope I make it to the line without getting involved in a bingle in the sprint. Can't think of a single time when I've had enough strength and energy to actually seriously consider putting in an attack!

but surely if you ride ths same way all the time, thats what you are training yourself to do ! Try attacking - you never know

I agree

Can you sprint ? how many gallops have you won ?

I was agreeing with your point about varying your approach to racing. Doesn't matter Rolling Eyes

I think you guys are making the common assumption that I am a lot fitter than I actually am. Underneath the cool, calm untroubled exterior I am actually in a whole world of pain just trying to grab a wheel as the next move goes off!! Perhaps if I did a bit of that new fangled training stuff I have read so much about then things might be different...
To be honest though, a lot of people complain about others sitting in on races, but in my experience the vast majority of riders sitting in are doing it because they are taking a severe hammering and don't fancy a 20 mile ride on their own to the finish. For me, with my current level of fitness, it's not about winning - it's just the achievement of getting to the finish with the first group that makes it worthwhile.
Racing tomorrow though, if I feel good enough to make a move then I'll let you know how I went.
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sachs huret"]
Stuart wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Stuart wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
sachs huret wrote:
My favourite tactic is to hang on for as long as possible and hope I make it to the line without getting involved in a bingle in the sprint. Can't think of a single time when I've had enough strength and energy to actually seriously consider putting in an attack!

but surely if you ride ths same way all the time, thats what you are training yourself to do ! Try attacking - you never know

I agree

I was agreeing with your point about varying your approach to racing. Doesn't matter Rolling Eyes

Stuart, the question was not aimed at you, although may have appeared that way.
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a quite unique style of attacking, I go slower than the main bunch, never fails, usually get a nice solo break, occassionally the odd one cottons on and uses the same tactic as me but more often than not I'm on my own. Never get in the plcings though........ Confused
RussM
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a crit your clubmate has a good gap with 2 laps to go!

Another club mate is riding as a mate - steady away on the front of the bunch which aren't closing the gap!

Another club mate then proceeds to Attack down the outside and spurs the bunch into action! Confused Embarassed

And then says after - "Well it's ok the bunch were closing the gap!" Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Anyone see any articles about riding as a 'team' anywhere???? Question Idea
kitch
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hate to say it but riding as a team is for people who get paid to ride as a team...

for the rest of us i think every man for himself is a forgivable tactic!
sachs huret
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sachs huret wrote:
Stuart wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Stuart wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
sachs huret wrote:

I agree

Racing tomorrow though, if I feel good enough to make a move then I'll let you know how I went.

Well guys, managed to get in a break with another rider today - it ended up that we were out the front for about 5 - 10 mins of a 45 min crit. We went with about 30mins of racing left to go which was tactically a bit daft but it made for an interesting race.
With one lap to go there were 2 guys about 50m up the road so, sensing it was the last chance to get up I thought I'd try to jump across to them and make a break for home. I felt like Bradley McGee for about 20 seconds and, just as I was about to catch them, blew up quite spectacularly which I understand led to momentary panic at several seismic monitoring stations around the world.
What have I learnt from today? Firstly, I definitely do not have the talent of Bradley McGee and secondly I should maybe plan the timing of the attacks just a teensy bit better! Still, it was definitely entertaining and weird to be in a a race where I wasn't hanging on to wheels with all the strength I could muster!!
Chris L' Evêque
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitch wrote:
hate to say it but riding as a team is for people who get paid to ride as a team...

Why?
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode at Darley Moor (AGAIN, MOAN) yesterday and with four riders in the Elite race could ride as a team. After the initial attacks, making sure that an Ashfield rider was either attacking or counter attacking, two Ashfield lads got moving in an eight man break. The other two Ashfield riders could then go with every counter attack and sit on hoping for a tow across to the break. As it happened the break split but stayed away and I got in a chasing group and because we weren't going to get across did my share of work. The end result was that we had two riders in the top ten with another sprinting for 8th. I would never chase down a club mate and would expect the same in return.
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tactics today in a 100 man field was to sit at the back and let a break of 10 go, then another break of 18 go. Confused
Mat Gregory
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitch wrote:

for the rest of us i think every man for himself is a forgivable tactic!

indeed , no point letting some other sucker from your club take all the prize money.
IainW
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussM wrote:
In a crit your clubmate has a good gap with 2 laps to go!

Another club mate is riding as a mate - steady away on the front of the bunch which aren't closing the gap!

Another club mate then proceeds to Attack down the outside and spurs the bunch into action! Confused Embarassed

And then says after - "Well it's ok the bunch were closing the gap!" Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Anyone see any articles about riding as a 'team' anywhere???? Question Idea

Classic muppet racing. Good to watch though! Laughing Laughing

Smartest tactic I've seen was for 2 team mates to go a couple of miles up the road before the start, wait for the race just as the early break is about to form and jump in on it.
Pity only one rider complained as the chief comm was totally unaware of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: