Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Seat Tube or Top Tube

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Seat Tube or Top Tube

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Top Tube or Seat Tube length?
Top Tube
75%
 75%  [ 15 ]
Seat Tube
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Other Tube
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 20

johnysputnik
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Seat Tube or Top Tube Reply with quote

Me and a friend were discussing the best way to select a frame size (initial selection... obv riding the bike is the best test). He reckons Seat Tube length is still prob the best method, but I reckon Top Tube Length, as it effects the handling of the bike to a greater degree. I would argue that Seat Tube Angle is more important than length (given that you've got the right top tube length) what do all you other losers think?
legro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Seat Tube or Top Tube Reply with quote

johnysputnik wrote:
what do all you other losers think?

not a lot after that statement

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
erudite pete
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top tube/seat angle. Problem with top tubes is that, on almost all stock frames, they're miles too short.
Coggy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is my mtb frame has a great big long top tube and a short seat tube. And I like it that way:

Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top tube length combined with seat and head tube angles are what matter.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter? Just get your frame custom built, end of problem.

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coggy wrote:
All I know is my mtb frame has a great big long top tube and a short seat tube. And I like it that way:

is that at the top of rushup edge perchance.
Chr!s B.
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Top tube length combined with seat and head tube angles are what matter.

I totally agree.. I always go for Seat tube angle and top tube length first.
As I have longer thighs than most and like my saddle nose to be around 10cm behind the Bottom Bracket.
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joxster wrote:
To custom build it, then you have to specify what tube lengths and angles you want - therefore it matters even more!

Oh - I agree with most here too - top tube is the most important length, and the seat and head angles are the important aspects of those tubes, rather than the length.

Paul
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomo wrote:
joxster wrote:
To custom build it, then you have to specify what tube lengths and angles you want - therefore it matters even more!

Oh - I agree with most here too - top tube is the most important length, and the seat and head angles are the important aspects of those tubes, rather than the length.

Paul

Isn't that up to the frame builder to measure you and then build to your specification.

Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joxster wrote:
Thomo wrote:
joxster wrote:

Paul

Isn't that up to the frame builder to measure you and then build to your specification.
The clue is the last bit... Laughing

Paul
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomo wrote:
joxster wrote:
Thomo wrote:
joxster wrote:

Paul

The clue is the last bit... Laughing

Paul

Define specification? Confused

Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and with so many ways to measure seat tube length (compact frames, bb to centre of top tube, bb to top of top tube etc. etc) then top tube length should determine the frame size to buy
snakeeater
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Tube or Top Tube Reply with quote

johnysputnik wrote:

Tend to agree with Legro on this one. At least respect other readers of thsi forum, even if you think we are all losers.

S~
johnysputnik
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Tube or Top Tube Reply with quote

snakeeater wrote:
johnysputnik wrote:

Tend to agree with Legro on this one. At least respect other readers of thsi forum, even if you think we are all losers.

S~

you appear not to have seen the word 'other'
Pinarello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Tube or Top Tube Reply with quote

johnysputnik wrote:
Me and a friend were discussing the best way to select a frame size (initial selection... obv riding the bike is the best test). He reckons Seat Tube length is still prob the best method, but I reckon Top Tube Length, as it effects the handling of the bike to a greater degree. I would argue that Seat Tube Angle is more important than length (given that you've got the right top tube length) what do all you other losers think?

The important selection factor in frame size selection is how it looks outside the cafe, the bike has to look balanced with the 'right' amount of seatpost showing and a good length stem.
You can always add an extra shoe plate or two to compensate for slightly too big a frame.
johnysputnik
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Tube or Top Tube Reply with quote

Pinarello wrote:
johnysputnik wrote:

The important selection factor in frame size selection is how it looks outside the cafe, the bike has to look balanced with the 'right' amount of seatpost showing and a good length stem.
You can always add an extra shoe plate or two to compensate for slightly too big a frame.

Aesthetically speaking what would be a good length stem then? And how much should I expect my post to extend before it looks absurd?
Pinarello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Tube or Top Tube Reply with quote

johnysputnik wrote:
Pinarello wrote:
johnysputnik wrote:

Aesthetically speaking what would be a good length stem then? And how much should I expect my post to extend before it looks absurd?

Your stem should never ever be less than 110mm, and you show at least 120mm but never more than 237mm of seatpost
PNuT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every tester shud have a huge aero post Very Happy prefrably made by HQ

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seat tube length can be ignored with modern sloping top tube frames, a cm or two either way is easily adjusted with seat height. Top tube length can't easily be adjusted though. You can either use a sloping stem or a stack of spacers to make a too short/long head tube still put the bars where they're needed.

At the end of the day the bike needs to FIT properly, like joxster says.

The saddle has to be just where you need it to sit properly with your knee over the pedal spindle at the right point, the bars far enough away for you, neither too low or high (~2inches below the saddle), and the stem a sensible length (11-13cm) so the steering's balanced.

I have identical positions on my bikes but they all reach it with slighly differing combinations of long/normal s/pins and sloping/normal stems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: