Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Young Cyclists

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Young Cyclists
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should young cyclists be encouraged to avoid time trials?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 27 ]
Let them decide
34%
 34%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 64

Crescenzo
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Young Cyclists Reply with quote

According to good old Duffers whilst watching Ghent-Wevelgem young cyclists should avoid time trials.

It's not like we get any medals out of it.
All those come from the track/road riders.
Whippet
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't encourage kids to smoke or drink, so why encourage other bad habits?
ChrisB
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's up to them, but I think a balanced *CENSORED* of road and TT is healthy.

There's a crying shame of an example in my local club, the (probably) very talented son, now a junior, of a very talented roadie who's turned tester in his dotage has declared himself purely a tester. I blame the parents Laughing
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should encourage them to try ALL aspects of the sport - road, track, time trials, MTB, even BMX and downhill, etc. Then let them decide what ones they want to continue in. If that includes time trials, then great. If not, then great. But I would not ever put them off doing them. I think doing a mixture of the disciplines is more (mentally) healthy than only one.

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young cyclists should try all serious disciplines, i.e. road, track and time trials, so see what they enjoy, are good at, and for good experience.
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old man's a tester and that is all I was encourage/allowed to ride when I was younger. I was in my early 20's before I rode a Road Race, mid 20's before I rode a cross and 32 before I raced on the track. And it's something I really regret.

I grew up around TT's, I've ridden them for over half my life, I've organised them and I'm in a club who's primary motivation is TT's. And if I had kid would I let them near them - No way. The sport will, like all things that refuse to adapt to the times die. And while the statistics proove it's not that dangerous, the perception of it is. I mean who would train or ride for fun on a dual carriageway? Compare it to FNTL or a WMCXL event and the amounts of kids having fun there? Where are you more likely to learn the fun of riding a bike and competing for that reason?
John McC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
I grew up around TT's, I've ridden them for over half my life, I've organised them and I'm in a club who's primary motivation is TT's. And if I had kid would I let them near them - No way. The sport will, like all things that refuse to adapt to the times die. And while the statistics proove it's not that dangerous, the perception of it is. I mean who would train or ride for fun on a dual carriageway? Compare it to FNTL or a WMCXL event and the amounts of kids having fun there? Where are you more likely to learn the fun of riding a bike and competing for that reason?

Don't be such a drama queen. Racing on dual carriageways is safer than my daily commute in north London. People need some experience of riding on busy roads to give them the skills needed to survive on today's roads.

Last edited by John McC on Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
faye04_27
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dual carriage way... i like that idea Very Happy
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Lee wrote:

Don't be such a drama queen. Racing on dual carriageways is safer than my daily commute in north London. People some experience of riding on busy roads to give them the skills needed to survive on today's roads.

Queen will do, no need for the drama.
bonger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not bothered either way. It's a very poorly structured question for a poll and therefore the results of it will be next to useless.
PNuT

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still young @ the age of 30 Very Happy

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
jk_bike
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing dangerous about tt's on dual carriageways unless your Evil or Very Mad. only bit than can be dangerous is at islands.
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jk_bike wrote:
nothing dangerous about tt's on dual carriageways unless your Evil or Very Mad. only bit than can be dangerous is at islands.
Roundabouts are not the most dangerous bits... Spear-point junctions are worse...

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its actually the tw@s behind those steering wheels that are dangerous Shocked

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
Des

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:

Couldn't agree More Mr PNuT Idea
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
PNuT wrote:

Couldn't agree More Mr PNuT Idea
Good point. This is very true.

Paul
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i was planning on concentrating on 10mile tt this year.......................

and hoping to go under 25mins but dosnt sound like a good idea Crying or Very sad

www.cyclingforums.tk
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom smith wrote:
well i was planning on concentrating on 10mile tt this year.......................

and hoping to go under 25mins but dosnt sound like a good idea Crying or Very sad
Why doesn't it? You don't give a reason... cos I can't think of one.

Paul
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
My old man's a tester and that is all I was encourage/allowed to ride when I was younger. I was in my early 20's before I rode a Road Race, mid 20's before I rode a cross and 32 before I raced on the track. And it's something I really regret.

well there is why........its dangerous and plus u get thrashed by seniors and vetrans destroying your confidence

www.cyclingforums.tk
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom smith wrote:
Lee wrote:

well there is why........its dangerous and plus u get thrashed by seniors and vetrans destroying your confidence
It's not dangerous. Don't let anyone fool you with that. Well, no more so that riding your bike normally. Seriously.

As for seniors beating you, then I think that would be expected of them. If you rode in their road races you would get soundly beaten too. If they didn't, then you are likely to beat them in a time trial anyway, so there is nothing to worry about.

What you would need to concentrate on is how quickly you can improve against the older riders, and can you beat riders of the same age as you (or same ability at the beginning of the year).

Just do it.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: