Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Young Cyclists

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Young Cyclists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should young cyclists be encouraged to avoid time trials?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 27 ]
Let them decide
34%
 34%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 64

Wozza
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Tom, just get out there and do whichever aspect of cycling that u njoi and that u feel good doing and keep listenin to Legro Wink Cool Smile .
Stuart Kirkham
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Of Course Youngsters should be encouraged to ride Time Trials, there are precious few of them on start sheets now anyway, TTs are no more dangerous for them than the rest of us. As someone pointed out its the mad drivers who are the problem and I may add the geriatric doze pots who shouldn't be driving anyway!
Stuart. Cool
Chris L' Evêque
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Kirkham wrote:
Cool Of Course Youngsters should be encouraged to ride Time Trials, there are precious few of them on start sheets now anyway, TTs are no more dangerous for them than the rest of us. As someone pointed out its the mad drivers who are the problem and I may add the geriatric doze pots who shouldn't be driving anyway!Stuart. Cool

Not young people who think they are immortal and drive at speed without giving a to$$ about anyone else and who have to pay high insurance because they are a greater risk then
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom smith wrote:

well there is why........its dangerous and plus u get thrashed by seniors and vetrans destroying your confidence

They are not dangerous. I have never had an accident in a TT, whereas there are accidents all the time on the track and in road races.

If the seniors and vets thrash you then who cares. If you set a PB then you know you are improving and you got a good race out of it. If you get thrashed in a RR then you get dropped after a few miles and either have to ride the rest of the course on your own or abandon. At least you can take something out of a TT.
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride every event going Road, Track and TT. I did and it didn't do me any harm (well I keep telling my Shrink that Wink )

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Pocket Rocket
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said that you should avoid too many TT if you want to turn pro, not just avoid them if cycling is your hobby
stevecee
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get as many as we can to ride Time Trials.. There is a budding champion out there who perhaps would go unnoticed. What does Duffers know !!!???
tom smith
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok looks like ill give them a go then Very Happy

www.cyclingforums.tk
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time trials are easily accessible. Every town has a local club 10 that you can ride. It's no good telling a youth to ride track if his nearest track is 50 miles away, and you can only do cyclo cross in the winter.

My son did his 1st TT soon after his 12th birthday and did a 33. He lowered this to a 27 that season, next year he did a 25, the following year a 23. Even if vets are beating them to start with, they soon won't be!

By the way, he also rides track, road and cyclo cross.
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out riding evening 10's and it's what got me hookedon cycling. I can still remember the thrill of doing a 26, then a 25, then a 24 so on and so forth, it was a great way of seeing the improvement during those early years. However, I don't think I would be comfortable letting my daughters ride an evening 10 due to the dangers from traffic. Cyclo cross, track and circuit racing I would feel OK. They could ride a TT when older once having learned to ride a bike and deal with traffic, after all I feel they would be strong enough to resist the dark side.
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you trust them to go out and train on the roads?

Paul
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomo wrote:
Would you trust them to go out and train on the roads?

Paul

If they went in a group that had someone I considered responsible, fair enough. Anyway, I should be able to take them out on the roads until I feel comfortable. I plan to use the National Water Sport track for a while just to get them in to it.
Pinarello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Young cyclists should try all serious disciplines, i.e. road, track and time trials, so see what they enjoy, are good at, and for good experience.

Bizarrely I have to agree here with John Mc.

Might i add this is a stupid attempt to wind up VR, poorly thought out and instigated.
lil tyas
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alrite, as a teen cyclist myself i'm probably gonna have a completely different point of view to the rest of you but here i go:
there is absolutely nothing worng with youths riding TTs!! find them a good, safe, local course and they'll be fine! i've been pratting around the club 10 course for the last 3 years and it was only July when the local GHS qualifiers were hosted by our club on that course that I really got the competitve spirit and began getting hungry to win!! (bit hard when you had alex dowsett on your team... Laughing !). Where I live I am very fortunate for racing locations: eastway, hillingdon and the milton keynes bowl are not too far away for road racing and welwyn track (which I hope to ride soon!!) is good for track racing! i also do a lil cyclo-x and mite start some x-country mtb. BUT if you do not want your *CENSORED* go zippin round the local 10, they may not be able to do any other type of racing because road racing is limited (but growin!!) because U16s can only ride closed circuits and if you do not live near one of them or a track, and kid doesnt wanna do anything off-road then you are killing the youth area of the sport! make sure that you son/daughter is packed off in a nice visible jersey on a quiet, safe course and they'll grow to love it! speakin to various other juniors whos parents arent into cycling - they got into it because they were bored, saw a local 10 going on and trundled off to have a go! if you are really concerned about safety - do a 2-up with them for the first one or two that they do!

just let 'em ride!

lil tyas
Axel
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could choose which disipline for my 13 year old son, this would be my order of preference:
BMX
MTB Cross Country / Cyclo Cross
Track
Road
Time trials

As a kid you've got to have fun & I dont remember any fun competing in time trials
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axel wrote:
If I could choose which disipline for my 13 year old son, this would be my order of preference:
BMX
Track
Road
Time trials

As a kid you've got to have fun & I dont remember any fun competing in time trials

Which was exactly the reason I said I wouldn't let a kid of mine near them.
superstar kyle
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
Axel wrote:
BMX
Track
Road
Time trials

Which was exactly the reason I said I wouldn't let a kid of mine near them.

i know several juniors with parents who won't let them ride time trials because of the danger of dual carrige ways, however i have ridden several single lane courses such as the K46, and have had the $hite scared out of me, so i only enter time trials on DC courses as i personaly feel much safer, i think that young cyclists should be allowed to choose the discaplines that they compete in, and not be forced into one that they don't want to do by their parents
Oz
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Young Cyclists Reply with quote

Crescenzo wrote:
According to good old Duffers whilst watching Ghent-Wevelgem young cyclists should avoid time trials.

It's not like we get any medals out of it.
All those come from the track/road riders.

What a stupid comment! They need to be encouraged in all aspects, like the talent team currently does fantastically.
Testing is safer than RR'ing in my view, and the easiest to 'have a go at' technically.
Ive ridden over 600 TT's and never been in contact with a car, come off once on a RAB from my own judgement error.
Ive done 20 or so RR's and come of 3 times, once badly, off the bike for a week. MTB'ing is safe/soft landing etc, but u have to train on the road to be any good.
Try and keep kids away from the dangers of the road and they wont have the skills required when they do make it out there!! Not to mention not having a cat in hells chance at international level. Best learn to cope asap i think.

Last edited by Oz on Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
superstar kyle
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Young Cyclists Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
Crescenzo wrote:
According to good old Duffers whilst watching Ghent-Wevelgem young cyclists should avoid time trials.

It's not like we get any medals out of it.
All those come from the track/road riders.

What a stupid comment! They need to be encouraged in all aspects, like the talent team currently does fantastically.
Testing is safer than RR'ing in my view, and the easiest to 'have a go at' technically.

All cycling commentators are rather useless aren't they, come to think about it most commentators are, ie Murray Walker (F1) and then his replacement James Allen Crying or Very sad
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinarello wrote:
John McC wrote:
Young cyclists should try all serious disciplines, i.e. road, track and time trials, so see what they enjoy, are good at, and for good experience.

Bizarrely I have to agree here with John Mc.

Might i add this is a stupid attempt to wind up VR, poorly thought out and instigated.
He was only copying me! Laughing

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: