Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Young Cyclists

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Young Cyclists
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should young cyclists be encouraged to avoid time trials?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 15 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 27 ]
Let them decide
34%
 34%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 64

qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should they be encouraged to ride a bike ?

although I have known only cycling, I'm not encouraging my *CENSORED* to cycle.
tekno
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Young Cyclists Reply with quote

Oz wrote:
Crescenzo wrote:
According to good old Duffers whilst watching Ghent-Wevelgem young cyclists should avoid time trials.

It's not like we get any medals out of it.
All those come from the track/road riders.

What a stupid comment! They need to be encouraged in all aspects, like the talent team currently does fantastically.
Testing is safer than RR'ing in my view, and the easiest to 'have a go at' technically.
Ive ridden over 600 TT's and never been in contact with a car, come off once on a RAB from my own judgement error.
Ive done 20 or so RR's and come of 3 times, once badly, off the bike for a week. MTB'ing is safe/soft landing etc, but u have to train on the road to be any good.
Try and keep kids away from the dangers of the road and they wont have the skills required when they do make it out there!! Not to mention not having a cat in hells chance at international level. Best learn to cope asap i think.

Are you sure the talent team encourages riders to time trial.When my son was on the team they were not to keen. perhaps its changed.
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcscmh wrote:
Should they be encouraged to ride a bike ?

although I have known only cycling, I'm not encouraging my *CENSORED* to cycle.

Like qcscmh, I'm not going to actively encourage my kids to ride a bike. There are too many idiots in cars. They can try MTBing for fun, but no TTing or RRing.

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Coggy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started off riding club TTs when I was 15. There is no way I would allow my 15 year old son to go and ride an evening 10 on the local death-trap TT courses.
Oz
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Young Cyclists Reply with quote

tekno wrote:

Are you sure the talent team encourages riders to time trial.When my son was on the team they were not to keen. perhaps its changed.

Yes. We have a 11 and a 14 year old in the team both on the talent team, and with a strong focus on testing as they want.
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local Talent team don't actively encourage TT's (i.e. they have track, RR, MTB and Cyclo-cross camps but no TT camp), but don't discourage them either. They see midweek eveining 10's as valuable training.

Whilst I didn't push my son into cycling, he saw me going out on my bike every Sunday and he wanted to come along too, so when he was old enough I started taking him out. He started riding cross at 9, which was invaluable in teaching him bike handling skills and started doing TT's at 12, but he had already been doing rides on the road for around 2 years, so knew about traffic, rules of the road, etc.

I think a lot depends on the type of road the TT's are held on. If you can find a safe local Club TT course, then there is no harm in letting kids ride, but I would not let him ride on the A1.
racyrich2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it a bit odd that various fathers on here wouldn't let their sons time trial when they're happy to do so themselves.
This must mean they don't trust their son's ability to ride properly. So presumably sonny shouldn't be allowed out on a bike at all.
If sonny's ability is not doubted, then his risk when doing a TT is no greater than when dad's doing one. If this risk is deemed too great, why is the prospect of losing a son more worrying than that of leaving a son fatherless?
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coggy wrote:
I started off riding club TTs when I was 15. There is no way I would allow my 15 year old son to go and ride an evening 10 on the local death-trap TT courses.
How many accidents with vehicles has there been in recent years on those courses that could be blamed on the vehicle drivers?

Paul
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racyrich2 wrote:
I find it a bit odd that various fathers on here wouldn't let their sons time trial when they're happy to do so themselves.
This must mean they don't trust their son's ability to ride properly. So presumably sonny shouldn't be allowed out on a bike at all.
If sonny's ability is not doubted, then his risk when doing a TT is no greater than when dad's doing one. If this risk is deemed too great, why is the prospect of losing a son more worrying than that of leaving a son fatherless?

Its parent logic. When my son was younger I was almost afraid to let him play in the garden, cos I just knew he was going to fall and smash his skull or something.

When I was a kid, I use to do stuff WAY more dangerous than TTing - my parents would have gone spare if they'd known Shocked
Coggy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't ride those courses either anymore. Negotiating islands & slip roads is too scary for me nowadays.
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 15 my mate chopped the end of his thumb off checking the chain tension on his track bike. Put me off track racing for weeks.
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't let my son do TT's on the A1, but I don't do them either.
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
I won't let my son do TT's on the A1, but I don't do them either.

Got a picture of me in 1980 heading down the A1 in a Saturday pm 25, when I was a young parrot.
TomcaT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
when I was a young parrot.

Now you're just half a parrot and old Exclamation Twisted Evil Laughing Wink
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomcaT wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:
when I was a young parrot.

Now you're just half a parrot and old Exclamation Twisted Evil Laughing Wink

Which one of you lot will have the Monty Python Parrot sketch played at your funeral?

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
murder trainer
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
its actually the tw@s behind those steering wheels that are dangerous Shocked

Totally agree with you there PNut. Speed doesn't kill it's the idget behind the wheel!
HardBoiledEgg
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats wrong with TT'ing, the exciting part is going flatout without traffic lights to wait for, okey it is dangerous but as long as you can stay near or behind the white line (edge of carrageway) you can be quite reasured that you'll be okey, i usually spend most of my time trying tomaintain speed whilst riding the edge of carrageway line.

I have been in a number of accidents, but not half as many as cornering on decents. never once on a dual carrage way have i had an accident, although i have broken colarbones, dislocated and broken wrists and hips on the mtb or road bikes and Bmx's as a child and lots and lots of raod rash.

but none have been on the carrageway, i enjoy drafting off wagons its fun when you know there ain't no traffic lights for miles. main thing is, keep your eye on the breaklights and be prepared to stop or swerve incaseof emergencies. Laughing

http://www.nata2.info/humor/movies/nyc-bicycle-dragrace.mpg

whenyou ride like this carrageways become unsafe. be prepared to wait awhile.
mrchopsaloty
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom smith wrote:
Lee wrote:
My old man's a tester and that is all I was encourage/allowed to ride when I was younger. I was in my early 20's before I rode a Road Race, mid 20's before I rode a cross and 32 before I raced on the track. And it's something I really regret.

I grew up around TT's, I've ridden them for over half my life, I've organised them and I'm in a club who's primary motivation is TT's. And if I had kid would I let them near them - No way. The sport will, like all things that refuse to adapt to the times die. And while the statistics proove it's not that dangerous, the perception of it is. I mean who would train or ride for fun on a dual carriageway? Compare it to FNTL or a WMCXL event and the amounts of kids having fun there? Where are you more likely to learn the fun of riding a bike and competing for that reason?

well there is why........its dangerous and plus u get thrashed by seniors and vetrans destroying your confidence

Many (most?) of the top pro's peak in their late 20's so even when you've got a few years experience, you can expect to struggle against the oldies.
jhunt
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We NEED more youngsters in the sport, regardless of the discipline they wish to try. I wouldn't put them off. I wouldn't put kids off any activity that gets them away from hanging about street corners and getting into trouble.
I personally think sport is a good choice because of the health benefits but if they happen to enjoy cycling and time trials in particular why not? I also agree that they should be encouraged to try other disciplines of the sport too. As one of the coaches at our club I'm working with others to build links with BMX and track clubs to give the kids at our sessions experience of other aspects of the sport. We believe it is healthy and in terms of performance it is helpful as it provides a broader base of skills.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: