Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Is it easier to gain points down south than up north ?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Is it easier to gain points down south than up north ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is it easier to gain points down south than up north ?
YES
58%
 58%  [ 35 ]
NO
20%
 20%  [ 12 ]
DON'T KNOW
21%
 21%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 60

qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe coz there are more cyclists up Narth
Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMM if there are more cyclists could that imply that there is more competition for places? Therefore...
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcscmh wrote:

Rubbish, 10 million people in Landan. They just get off their Evil or Very Mad up North.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafiki wrote:
Ok... suggesting that prominence of the provincial origin of the riders may imply that they are from a tougher stock... looking at the list of British National Champions (which will include scots like Ian Steel and Rob Millar)... still gives a predominance of Northerners... especially as riders like colin Lewis (from the SE would probably not be readily identified as a Southerner)...

Beyond that, there have been two OUTSTANDING women riders that the UK has produced... Nicole Cooke (Wales) and Beryl Burton (Yorkshire... aka the North). Alongside this there have been world champs like Mandy Jones (Rochdale - North) and Bernadette Swinnerton (Midlands/nearly north) did get a silver in the worlds' road...

As there are more champions from the North... this either implies that the standard of racing is higher or there is a genetic mutation that brings up the odd northern odd bod who is good... I suggest the former..

I remember the time that the comic was giving plenty of wordage to Colin Lewis down in Pastyland. So the Liverpool Mercury decided to go down for a relatively expensive weekend which was financially on their limits to show him up. They smashed Lewis to smithereens.
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
qcscmh wrote:

Rubbish, 10 million people in Landan. They just get off their Evil or Very Mad up North.

I thought anything north of the Thames was Narth Wink
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

archer grand prix, apparently the hardest race ever, didn't see any southerners on the podium, (dayus is not a southerner by the way)
Emma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
archer grand prix, apparently the hardest race ever, didn't see any southerners on the podium, (dayus is not a southerner by the way)

didn't see you on there either Rolling Eyes Just because you come from the north doesn't make you a good cyclist you know Rolling Eyes
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:

didn't see you on there either Rolling Eyes Just because you come from the north doesn't make you a good cyclist you know Rolling Eyes

no, it just makes you harder. dawson works full time *CENSORED*.
Emma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:

yawnnnn, yawnnnnnn this old North/South divide bit it's all abit Barbara Taylor Bradford fiction type stuff really isn't it? Laughing
Des

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Stephens was 4th - local lad to the Archer course ( although he now works full time for Cheshire police) and without the benefit of team mates.

How many times has Gibby won the Scouse world champs?
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Matt Stephens was 4th - local lad to the Archer course ( although he now works full time for Cheshire police) and without the benefit of team mates.

good argument. Rolling Eyes
Emma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
Des wrote:

exactly, there is no arguement is there? noodle! Rolling Eyes There are some good cyclists in the South and there are some good cyclists in the North. Bit like someone starting a thread suggesting all Northerners are miserable, jealous types with chips on their shoulders Wink
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:
Des wrote:

exactly, there is no arguement is there? noodle! Rolling Eyes There are some good cyclists in the South and there are some good cyclists in the North. Bit like someone starting a thread suggesting all Northerners are miserable, jealous types with chips on their shoulders Wink

On the contrary emma, I am not bothered in the slightest and didn't even start this thread, but the fact remained if you miss the split in a southern race there is always anotehr race tomorrow, day after etc so no-one is that bothered but up here there is less races and as a result more competition as it can be a couple of weeks till the next race althought he recycling series and preston are improving the situation, also the talent in the south is diluted as there are more races to spread the strong riders over. this is not my opinion so please don't reply with your childish insults but it is a fact and there is no getting away from it.
Emma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:
Des wrote:

On the contrary emma, I am not bothered in the slightest and didn't even start this thread, but the fact remained if you miss the split in a southern race there is always anotehr race tomorrow, day after etc so no-one is that bothered but up here there is less races and as a result more competition as it can be a couple of weeks till the next race althought he recycling series and preston are improving the situation, also the talent in the south is diluted as there are more races to spread the strong riders over. this is not my opinion so please don't reply with your childish insults but it is a fact and there is no getting away from it.

childish insults? all my insults are very highbrow! Shocked in that case maybe people should try to organise more events, there always seem to be lots oof events going on in the North but I suppose there is Eastway and Hillingdon down here.
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:

yawnnnn, yawnnnnnn this old North/South divide bit it's all abit Barbara Taylor Bradford fiction type stuff really isn't it? Laughing

Wouldn't know, up north they read hard books like the Beano and the Dandy. Wink

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joxster wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:

look at the pics more like.
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
joxster wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:

Thought that was Razzle. Wink

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joxster wrote:
alexc wrote:
joxster wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:

fat *CENSORED* readers moms more like. Wink
Emma

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
joxster wrote:
alexc wrote:
joxster wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:
Emma wrote:
alexc wrote:

fat *CENSORED* readers moms more like. Wink

what were we saying about childish insult Alex? Confused Shocked
snakeeater
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO and from personal experience, I've ridden races in the north and races in the south, albeit not in the same season. When I raced in the north some years ago successful breaks seemed to just ride away more easily. I think this was due in part that there wern't enough strong riders to contribute to getting breaks back, once some group went up the road the bunch gave up after a half hearted attempt, i.e. the first 10 miles of the break going away. I'm sure not all of em are like that, but its from personal experience.

Now I live down south the breaks seem to take alot more effort to succeed. I think its down to having more riders of similar ability being able to ride strongly on the day and either make breaks too large to succeed or have the strength still to form a chase.

The terrain up north, i.e. further up than sheffield, is harder and there's less choice of circuit type. If that equates to riders up north being well harder than the southerner then so be it, but few would say that southern races are easy. If that is the case, all the northern riders would come down here on holiday for 'points grabbing' sessions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: